FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Rainbow Bridge - Cat (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/rainbow-bridge-cat/)
-   -   Remembering Your Cat (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/rainbow-bridge-cat/28012-remembering-your-cat.html)

cat lover 11-03-2010 03:25 AM

Remembering Your Cat

:hallcat:We have lost a few cats due to illness, old age, and some we didn't even know, but found them in such a state we had to take them to the vet and have them put down to end their suffering. We have a section of land in the woods that is " Lost Acres Memorial Garden". We have cats, dogs, and a couple of pet rats that have gone on.
What does your family do to say goodbye and keep the "pet" alive in your thoughts?

Gardenlady3 11-06-2010 03:25 PM

Hi, I am also in Indiana but in NW part(Lowell about 1/2 hour from Merrillville & 1 hour from Chicago). This is a timely post as we had to put our cat to sleep 3 weeks ago. He was 17 years old but did not act like it. On Monday night, Oct 11, we think that he had a stroke & could not sit up,walk or anything so we took him to the vet on Tuesday. We knew what we had to do to do the best for him but it was not easy. We took him home & buried him in our back yard in my daylily bed in a box that he loved with his tissue paper in it & some of his special things.

I had gotten a 8 inch plastic cat at a garage sale this past summer & we painted it to look like him. We will put it in the bed next spring. I also plan to look for a large flat rock that I will paint his name & dates on & that will also go out there.

We miss him every day. He was very much loved. We will get another kitty when we are up to it as we miss having a cat in the house. It's so quiet.

Gloria

Pag36 11-06-2010 04:03 PM

When we had to put Tom down years ago it really hit Gina & I hard, Adam's father buried him in our then back yard and put a cement square over the area and wrote on it his name and dates. When we sold the house they said they would leave it alone and that house has been sold since mid 96 and as of couple months ago it is still there.
We had to put Sam down 2 yrs this coming March and Gina still has her ashes. I have some ornaments that go on our Christmas tree that have her name on them couple of them look like her and also have couple cats that look like Tom and one has his name on it. Yep we loved them and miss them

goldeagle1 11-06-2010 04:10 PM

We had to put to sleep our sweet cat about 6 weeks ago. She was 15 years old and had lung cancer. She was an amazing, loving animal and we miss her every day. We are planning to bury her ashes in the corner of our backyard and plant a flowering bush at the spot.

My heart goes out to all of you who are dealing with a recent death of a beloved pet.

:pumpkinsg

Pag36 11-06-2010 04:30 PM

Sorry Sue our Tom was also 15 yrs old and guess I did not say but was a cat too. Sam was an Akita/Sheppard and likewise 15 yrs old

cat lover 11-07-2010 03:49 AM

We build wooden "caskets" for all the animals because I am afraid of being in the woods something would start digging in the Memorial Garden if we didn't. So they have a casket and are buried with their "baby blankets" covering them and laying on one and their favorite toy goes with them. I do take pictures although I just pack them away for now. They are still missed and I guess always will be. Each grave has a marker we construct with their name, birth date, and death date and a little saying . I collect angels from the thrift store and place those on the graves. I go and visit with them all sometimes, but with it being near the house I can see the cemetary from the front windows once all the leaves are gone from the trees.

Gardenlady3 11-07-2010 03:10 PM

Sue, sorry on the recent loss of your cat. That will be a nice spot for her with the flowering bush. You will be reminded of her everytime you see that bush. Thanks for the condolences.

Pag, sorry on your pet losses. We also have wooden cat ornaments with their names on them for my last three cats(including BooBoo). They are colored like the cats were. It will be hard putting them on the tree this year.

Cat lover your Memorial Garden sounds lovely. A nice way to remember all the cats that came into your life.

You never forget the pets you have had in your life but the pain gets less as time goes on. I am glad we took lots of photos of all of them. They all have a little piece of our hearts.

Gloria

Pag36 11-07-2010 03:26 PM

We have always taken lots of pix of all our animals. Years ago when I had 2 dogs, cat and Guinie (sp) Pig I managed to get them each sitting on a book shelf with biggest to smallest starting at bottom shelf and took a pix of them. How I managed to keep them all still especially the G Pig I don't know. Had loads of remarks about that pix.
It is hard to put the ornaments on the tree but I do it also got 2 diff ones in memory of Carol Ann and Margaret from FC. Yep I am a sentimental person big time. Also my parents, brothers too

goldeagle1 11-07-2010 04:36 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind words on the recent loss of my cat. You are all sweethearts!!

:pumpkinsg

DeBora4BobbyL 11-07-2010 06:01 PM

I am not really a cat person, although we have a cat. I am closer to my dogs. However, when one of them passes, I have them cremated and put in Keepsake pendent. It is a jewelry pendent holder of cremated material or even hairs of a deceased person or pet. Just do a search of keepsake jewelry or urn jewelry.