Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Quips, Quotes, Wisdom & Scriptures A place to share your quotes, scriptures, and other spiritual wisdom you would like to share.

Old 01-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Different "religions" in the Christian Faith

I am Jewish. That sure is a different religion from anyone who is any sort of a Christian! My ansestors never took that "leap of faith" that the ancestors of my Christian friends did. They chose not to accept Jesus as the Messiah... My ancestors chose to wait.. and to believe that a Messiah would come someday to create a Heaven on earth. That ancestry is what makes me a Jew. That ancestry is what makes me different from most of the rest of the world.

We as Jews have the burden, and the joy, of dealing with G-d directly in everyday life. We pray directly to Him. We are required to give thanks, ask questions, and plead our desires directly to Him. We have no intercessor between us and G-d. We are forbidden to pray to anyone else.

The word "Israel" in Hebrew means "to wrestle with G-d" We, the Jews, are "Isrealites"... "The people who wrestle with G-d" .... It has meaning for us on many, many levels.

So I have always understood the difference between my religion and the rest of the world... As I see it... the Christian world...

But.. I have never understood the things that separate the denominations of the Christian Churches.

I hope I am not asking anything inappropriate... But I have always had an avid desire to understand the fundamental differences between the religious denominations within Christianity..and why they are considered to be different religions by the people who practice them.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Val, that is a BIG question! And a lot depends on what denominations you are trying to differentiate between.

I guess the "biggie" is that Roman Catholics differ from everyone else in that we are led by the Pope. The Pope is next in an unbroken line of "successors" to St. Peter, who according to Jesus Christ was "the Rock upon which the Church would be built." Catholics also believe that Mary, the Mother of Jesus was a virgin throughout her life and finally we believe that the Eucharist is truly the Body and Blood of Jesus.

Orthodox Catholics have their own leaders (and this is geographically based) but I'm pretty sure that they share the other 2 beliefs with Roman Catholics.

Episcopalians do not accept the Pope as their leader. Otherwise they are fairly similar to Roman Catholics in the basic beliefs, but not in the way things are interpreted today (they are considered much more liberal).

I do not believe that any other Protestant faith believes in the True Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, nor in the eternal virginity of Mary.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about the different Christian faiths. I hope that someone here who does, will contribute to this thread!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you Barb.. That was a great beginning...

Especially that one set of fundamental differences between Protestants and Catholics... That's a big, and probably emotional division... it helps me understand what happens in Northern Ireland bettter somewhat ( although I use the word "understand" only in the context of understanding the difference.. not the violence.)

I have always wondered why There are evangelical Christians preaching to toher followers of Christian faiths to convert?.. or why, FOR EXAMPLE the families of a Baptist might object to a marriage to a child from a family of a Lutheran...

I'm very ignorant of comparative religions in Christianity...

I naively thought, that all those who came to G-d through Christ, were basically all of the same "faith".

Val
Old 05-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bumping this up for more thoughts!

hugs, train
Old 07-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I do not claim to belong to no certian group. I do belong to the Lord God. I am a child of his. To me the bible saids were 2 or more gather and worship is church. So if it be a building or a field that is haveing brothers and sisters praising the Lord. Jesus saids in Mat. 12 that all of us that believe in the Lord are is brothers and sisters.

So my sisters in the family of the Lord I love you all.

This be Tree
Old 09-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

[I do not claim to belong to no certian group. I do belong to the Lord God. I am a child of his. To me the bible saids were 2 or more gather and worship is church. So if it be a building or a field that is haveing brothers and sisters praising the Lord. Jesus saids in Mat. 12 that all of us that believe in the Lord are is brothers and sisters.]

I am non-denominational also. I am a believer that Jesus was born to Mary- a virgin, died on the cross to save us from our sins, raised from the dead and is now preparing a place for us, He will return someday and will gather those who are alive and believe in Him and take us to Heaven. Then, those who believe, which are dead will be gathered and taken up.
Sometimes I feel that the whole "religion" thing divides us and creates a barrier to what really matters and that is telling others about Christ and worshipping Him till He returns. Isn't this more important than WHAT RELIGION someone is?

Last edited by teann; 09-05-2006 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Nine Year Member

There is a book titled Separated Brethren that explains the Christian religions and how they got started and where they are today. The book explains that there are far more similarities than differences among the groups. It is a good read.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ellen.. and isn't it amazing that the real truth of the matter is believing that God dies for our sins, was buried and rose again? This in itself is what gets us to Heaven. Repenting of our sins and faith in Him... Is this what Catholics believe? My Dad was raised Catholic but I never really knew about the catholic faith. I am so thankful that God doesn't ask what religion we are but will ask if we know Him personally.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Nine Year Member

Yes, Teann, that is pretty much true of all Christian religions! including Catholics!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 09-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks Ellen!
Attached Images