Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Quips, Quotes, Wisdom & Scriptures A place to share your quotes, scriptures, and other spiritual wisdom you would like to share.

Old 06-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The Gallon of Milk

Gallon of Milk

This will give you chills..Just remember, "Our God is an Awesome God!"

A young man had been to Wed. night Bible Study. The pastor had shared about listening to God and obeying the Lord's voice. The young man couldn't help but wonder, "Does God still speak to people?" After service, he went out with some friends for coffee and pie and they discussed the message.

Several different ones talked about how God had led them in different ways.

It was about ten o'clock when the young man started driving home. Sitting in his car, he just began to pray, "God...If you still speak to people speak to me. I will listen. I will do my best to obey."

As he drove down the main street of his town, he had the strangest thought to stop and buy a gallon of milk. He shook his head and said out loud, "God is that you?" He didn't get a reply and started on toward home.

But again, the thought, buy a gallon of milk. The young man thought about Samuel and how he didn't recognize the voice of God, and how little Samuel ran to Eli.

Okay, God, in case that is you, I will buy the milk." It didn't seem
like too hard a test of obedience. He could always use the milk. He
stopped and purchased the gallon of milk and started off toward home.

As he passed Seventh Street, he again felt the urge,
Turn down that street." This is crazy he thought and drove on past the intersection.

Again, he felt that he should turn down Seventh Street. At the next intersection, he turned back and headed down Seventh. Half jokingly, he said out loud, "Okay, God, I will."

He drove several blocks, when suddenly, he felt like he should stop.
He pulled over to the curb and looked around. He was
in a semi-commercial area of town. It wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst of neighborhoods either. The businesses were closed and most of the houses looked dark like the people were already in bed. Again, he sensed something, "Go and give the milk to the people in the house across the street."

The young man looked at the house. It was dark and it looked like the people were either gone or they were already asleep. He started to open the door and this is insane. Those
people are in bed and asleep, and if I wake them up, they are going to be mad and I will look stupid."

Again, he felt like he should go and give the milk.
Finally, he opened the door. "Okay God, if this is you, I
will go to the door and I will give them the milk. If you want me to look like a crazy person, okay. I want to be obedient. I guess that will count for something, but if they don't answer right away, I am out of here. He walked across the street and
rang the bell. He could hear some noise inside. A man's voice yelled out,

"Who is it? What do you want?" Then the door opened
before the young man could get away. The man was standing there in his jeans and t-shirt. He looked like he just got out of bed. He had a strange look on his face and he didn't seem too happy to have some stranger standing on his doorstep. What is it?" The young man thrust out the gallon of milk. "Here I brought
this to you."

The man took the milk and rushed down a hallway, speaking loudly in Spanish.

Then from down the hall came a woman carrying the milk toward the kitchen, the man following her, holding a baby. The baby was crying. The man had tears streaming down his face. The man began speaking and half-crying, "We were just praying. We had some big bills this month and we ran out of
money. We didn't have any milk for our baby. I was just praying and asking God to show me how to get some milk." His wife in the
kitchen yelled out, I asked him to send an Angel with some. Are you an Angel?"

The young man reached into his wallet and pulled out all the money he had on him and put in the man's hand. He turned and walked back toward his car and the tears were streaming down his face.

He knew that God still answers prayers.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:42 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The eleventh Plague

The Plague that Ramsee never endured...
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2003, 12:00 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Michael

Michael

Michael is the kind of guy you love to hate. He is always in a good mood and always has something positive to say. When someone would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "If I were any better, I would be twins!"

He was a natural motivator. If an employee was having a bad day, Michael was there telling the employee how to look on the positive side of the situation.

Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day I went up to Michael and asked him, "I don't get it! You can't be a positive person all of the time. How do you do it?"

Michael replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to myself, you have two choices today. You can choose to be in a good mood or you can choose to be in a bad mood. I choose to be in a good mood.

Each time something bad happens, I can choose to be a victim or I can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it.

Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can choose to accept their complaining or I can point out the positive side of life. I choose the positive side of life."

"Yeah, right, it's not that easy," I protested.
"Yes, it is," Michael said. "Life is all about choices. When you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react to situations. You choose how people affect your mood. You choose to be in a good mood or bad mood.
The bottom line: It's your choice how you live life."

I reflected on what Michael said. Soon thereafter, I left the Tower Industry to start my own business. We lost touch, but I often thought about him when I made a choice about life instead of reacting to it.

Several years later, I heard that Michael was involved in a serious accident, falling some 60 feet from a communications tower. After 18 hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care, Michael was released from the hospital with rods placed in his back.

I saw Michael about six months after the accident. When I asked him how he was, he replied. "If I were any better, I'd be twins. Wanna see my scars?"

I declined to see his wounds, but did ask him what had gone through his mind as the accident took place.

"The first thing that went through my mind was the well-being of my soon to be born daughter," Michael replied. "Then, as I lay on the ground, I remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to live or I could choose to die.
I chose to live."

"Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?" I asked.
Michael continued, "...the paramedics were great. They kept telling me I was going to be fine.

But when they wheeled me into the ER and I saw the expressions on the faces of the doctors and nurses, I got really scared. In their eyes, I read 'he's a dead man.' I knew I needed to take action."

"What did you do?" I asked.
"Well, there was a big burly nurse shouting questions at me," said Michael. "She asked if I was allergic to anything. 'Yes,' I replied. The doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for my reply. I took a deep breath and yelled, 'Gravity.' Over their laughter, I told them, 'I am choosing to live.
Operate on me as if I am alive, not dead.'"

Michael lived, thanks to the skill of his doctors, but also because of his amazing attitude. I learned from him that every day we have the choice to live fully.

Attitude, after all, is everything.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." ~
Matthew 6:34.

After all, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and it's not turning out so bad after all, now is it?!
Old 06-27-2003, 12:08 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Go Down Death ( by James W Johnson)

GO DOWN DEATH
James Weldon Johnson

Weep not, weep not,
She is not dead;
She is resting in the bosom of Jesus.
Heart-broken husband--weep no more;
Grief-stricken son--weep no more;
Left-lonesome daughter --weep no more;
She’s only just gone home.

Day before yesterday morning,
God was looking down from his great, high heaven,
Looking down on all his children,
And his eye fell on Sister Caroline,
Tossing on her bed of pain.
And God's big heart was touched with pity,
With everlasting pity.

And God sat back on his throne,
And he commanded that tall, bright angel standing at his right hand:
Call me Death!
And that tall, bright angel cried in a voice
That broke like a clap of thunder:
Call Death!--Call Death!
And the echo sounded down the streets of heaven
Till it reached away back to that shadowy place,
Where Death waits with his pale, white horses.

And Death heard the summons,
And he leaped on his fastest horse,
Pale as a sheet in the moonlight.
Up the golden street Death galloped,
And the hooves of his horses struck fire from the gold,
But they didn't make no sound.
Up Death rode to the Great White Throne,
And waited for God's command.

And God said: Go down, Death, go down,
Down in Yamacraw,
And find Sister Caroline.
She's borne the burden and heat of the day,
She's labored long in my vineyard,
And she's tired--
She's weary--
Go down, Death, and bring her to me.

And Death didn't say a word,
But he loosed the reins on his pale, white horse,
And he clamped the spurs to his bloodless sides,
And out and down he rode,
Through heaven's pearly gates,
Past suns and moons and stars;
on Death rode,
Leaving the lightning's flash behind;
Straight down he came.

While we were watching round her bed,
She turned her eyes and looked away,
She saw what we couldn't see;
She saw Old Death. She saw Old Death
Coming like a falling star.
But Death didn't frighten Sister Caroline;
He looked to her like a welcome friend.
And she whispered to us: I'm going home,
And she smiled and closed her eyes.

And Death took her up like a baby,
And she lay in his icy arms,
But she didn't feel no chill.
And death began to ride again--
Up beyond the evening star,
Into the glittering light of glory,
On to the Great White Throne.
And there he laid Sister Caroline
On the loving breast of Jesus.

And Jesus took his own hand and wiped away her tears,
And he smoothed the furrows from her face,
And the angels sang a little song,
And Jesus rocked her in his arms,
And kept a-saying: Take your rest,
Take your rest.

Weep not--weep not,
She is not dead; She is asleep
She is resting in the bosom of Jesus.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:16 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A Powerfull Story

A Powerful Poem

It was late one Tuesday evening,
Before a mother could sit down,
To tell her only child about,
The terror that hit downtown.

She looked into the eyes of her son.
God, she loved him so,
She felt her heart begin to break
And the hurt begin to show.

She gathered all her strength and courage,
as her story she began to tell.
"Baby don't cry, but I'm afraid daddy,
Might be under a building that fell."

The boy looked back at his mother,
His eyes made not one blink.
And the mother's tears began to fall.
What would her baby think?

You see, his dad is a fire fighter,
And his hero from the day of his birth.
He loved his dad more than anything else,
That could ever inherit this earth.

The mother's head began to drop,
Her forehead resting on palm.
She thought her son would be upset.
Instead, he was very calm.

The boy leaned over towards his mom,
And put his hand upon her head.
In her ear he began to whisper,
And this is what he said:

"Mommy please don't cry,
I knew daddy wasn't coming home.
I talked to him just a while ago,
But it wasn't on the phone.

He told me that he loved me,
And he promised we'd meet again.
He told of his new home,
And the job he was to begin."

God is building an army,
And there are many angels needed.
That, is where daddy and the others went.
They weren't all defeated."

It was then, the mother lifted her head.
The tears streamed down her face.
And she could feel her husband's presence,
As it filled her heart with grace.

It was then she knew her son was right.
He was in God's great army now.
She also knew her son was safe,
That he'd be kept from harm somehow.

So, evildoers of the world beware.
An army is on the way.
Bolstered by new angels,
Who left the towers that day.

Their commander has never been beaten.
His power has never been matched,
And if evil thinks He was almighty before......
Well, the surface has just been scratched!

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!!!

Author Unknown
Old 06-29-2003, 02:12 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

CERT Teams (Return To God)

C.E.R.T. Teams 6/29/03

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

- 1 Corinthians 6:9 - 11 (NIV)

A little over a week ago, There was a class on "Disaster Psychology" being taught to a new volunteer group in Houston called "CERT," which stands for "Citizens Emergency Response Team." I found out that this is the second team of its' kind in Harris County.
The idea behind it is to train citizens how to respond in the event of a disaster... NOT as first responders, but, as citizens who can actually help, instead of get in the way.

What an awesome concept, if you think about it.

This then, becomes a group of people who can have a positive effect in the outcome of a disaster in their neighborhood.

They are trained by first responders in first aid, firefighting, incident command, etc.
They are trained NOT to respond around the city, but to react calmly in the event of a disaster in their own "backyard."

This was the idea, I believe, when Christ sent out the first disciples and, subsequently you and I... our REAL CHIEF provided the instruction, and we are to be in "our own backyards" helping our neighbors learn what to do in the disaster known as "life without CHRIST."

We need that sense of volunteerism today. We need that hope in GOD again. We need to love HIM as a nation again.
I am probably going to step on some toes right now....

Three things have transpired since we talked two weeks ago; First, the Canadian courts have paved the way for same-sex marriage to be legal in that country. Second, the state of Massachusets has said they, too, will okay homosexual marriages. Finally, the US Supreme Court ruled the Texas sodomy law to be unconstitutional.

Those three things, I believe will rise as a stench in the nostrils of GOD... the same GOD who has blessed this nation. HE is also the same GOD who has watched us throw HIM out of our schools, out of our pledge and out of our daily lives... not to mention the "seperation of church and state."

Read our verses for this week. Apparently, homosexuality has been around for awhile. Notice, though, that the Apostle Paul is warning them that "they USED to be that way" before they were forgiven when they became believers and followers of GOD.
Remember, we are not to dislike the sinner, we are to hate the sin.
How do we recover as a nation? I believe groups like the CERT teams and volunteer fire departments are great places to start. Bring back the days of voluteerism... the days of prayer before school... the days of "yes, sir" and "yes, ma'am"... the days of thanking GOD for blessing us as a people and blessing us as a nation.

I am asking you to join me...

This Nation must return to God…….

(Courtesy of Chaplain Skip Straus)

Last edited by BrotherPat; 06-29-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

In The Beginning...

In the beginning God populated the earth with broccoli and
cauliflower and spinach, green and yellow and red vegetables
of all kinds, so Man and Woman would live long and healthy
lives.

Then using God's great gifts, Satan created Ben and
Jerry's and Krispy Creme..

And Satan said, "You want chocolate with that?" And Man said "Yea." and woman said, "And another one with sprinkles."
And they gained 10 pounds.

And God created the healthful yogurt that woman might keep
the figure that man found so fair.

And Satan brought forth white flour from the wheat, and sugar from the cane, and combined them.
And woman went from size 2 to size 16.

So God said, "Try my fresh green salad."

And Satan presented thousand-Island Dressing and garlic toast on the side.
And man and woman unfastened their belts following the repast.

God then said, "I have sent you heart healthy vegetables and
olive oil in which to cook them."

And Satan brought forth deep fried fish and chicken-fried steak so big it needed its own platter.

And man gained more weight and his cholesterol went through the roof.

God then brought running shoes so that his children might
loose those extra pounds.

And Satan gave cable TV with a remote control so Man would not have to toil changing the channels.
And man and woman laughed and cried before the flickering light and gained pounds.

Then God brought forth the potato, naturally low in fat and
brimming with nutrition.

And Satan peeled off the healthful skin and sliced the starchy center into chips and deep-fried them. And man gained pounds.

God then gave lean beef so that man might consume fewer calories and still satisfy his appetite.

And Satan created McDonald's and it's 99-cent double cheeseburger. Then he said, "You want fries with that?" And man replied, "Yea! And super size 'em."

And Satan said "It is good." And man went into cardiac arrest.

God sighed and created quadruple bypass surgery......

......and Satan created HMOs.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Subject: BARBERS AND GOD????

Are there barbers and God?
>
>
> A man went to a barber shop to have his hair and his
> beard cut as always. He started to have a good
> conversation with the barber who attended him. They
> talked about so many things and various subjects.
> Suddenly, they touched the subject of God.
>
> The barber said: "Look man, I don't believe that God
> exists as you say so."
>
> "Why do you say that?" -- asked the client.
>
> "Well, it's so easy, you just have to go out in the
> street to realize that God does not exist. Oh, tell
> me, if God existed, would there be so many sick
> people? Would there be abandoned children? If God
> existed, there would be no suffering or pain. I
> can't think of a God who permits all of these
> things."
>
> The client stopped for a moment thinking but he
> didn't want to respond so as to prevent an argument.
> The barber finished his job and the client went out
> of the shop. Just after he left the barbershop he
> saw a man in the street with a long hair and beard
> (it seems that it had been a long time since he had
> his cut and he looked so untidy).
>
> Then the client again entered the barber shop and he
> said to the barber: "You know what? Barbers do not
> exist."
>
> "How come they don't exist?"-asked the barber.
> "Well, I am here and I am a barber."
>
> "No!" - the client exclaimed. "They don't exist
> because if they did there would be no people with
> long hair and beard like that man who walks in the
> street."
>
> "Ah, barbers do exist, what happens is that people
> do not come to me."
>
> "Exactly!"- affirmed the client. "That's the point.
> God does exist, what happens is people don't go to
> Him and do
> not look for Him that's why there's so much pain and
> suffering in the world."
>
>
> If you like it, send it to other people.
>
> If you think God does not exist, don't
>
Old 07-21-2003, 07:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My Favorite

THE EMPTY CHAIR

The man's daughter had asked the local minister to come and pray with her father.

When the minister arrived, he found the man lying in bed with his head propped up on two pillows. An empty chair sat beside his bed. The minister assumed that the old fellow had been informed of his visit. "I guess you were expecting me," he said.

"No, who are you?" said the father.

The minister told him his name and then remarked "I see the empty chair; I figured you knew I was going to show up."

"Oh yeah, the chair," said the bedridden man. "Would you mind closing the door?"

Puzzled, the minister shut the door. "I have never told anyone this, not even my daughter," said the man. "But all of my life I have never known how to pray. At church I used to hear the pastor talk about prayer, but it went right over my head. Finally, I abandoned any attempt at prayer," the old man continued, "until one day about four years ago my best friend said to me, 'Johnny, prayer is just a simple matter of having a conversation with Jesus. Here is what I suggest. Sit down in a chair; place an empty chair in front of you, and in faith see Jesus on the chair. It's not spooky because he promised, "I'll be with you always." Then just speak to him in the same way you're doing with me right now.'

So, I tried it and I've liked it so much that I do it a couple of hours every day. I'm careful though. If my daughter saw me talking to an empty chair, she'd either have a nervous breakdown or send me off to the funny farm."

The minister was deeply moved by the story and encouraged the old man to continue on the journey. Then he prayed with him, anointed him with oil, and returned to the church.

Two nights later the daughter called to tell the minister that her daddy had died that afternoon. "Did he die in peace?" he asked.

"Yes, when I left the house about two o' clock, he called me over to his bedside, told me he loved me and kissed me on the cheek. When I got back from the store an hour later, I found him dead. But there was something strange about his death. Apparently, just before Daddy died, he leaned over and rested his head on the chair beside the bed. What do you make of that?"

The minister wiped a tear from his eye and said, "I wish we could all go like that."

Warm Regards,
Nancy
Old 07-21-2003, 09:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Nancy - Wow, that was such a touching story! I'm going to save that one.

Carol