Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Quips, Quotes, Wisdom & Scriptures A place to share your quotes, scriptures, and other spiritual wisdom you would like to share.

Old 04-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Isn't it amazing how God works in our lives! On a Saturday night several weeks ago, this pastor was working late, and decided to call his wife before he left for home. It was about 10:00 PM, but his wife didn't answer the phone.
The pastor let the phone ring many times. He thought it was odd that she didn't answer, but decided to wrap up a few things and try again in a few minutes. When he tried again she answered right away. He asked her why she hadn't answered before, and she said that it hadn't rung at their house. They brushed it off as a fluke and went on their merry ways.

The following Monday, the pastor received a call at the church office, which was the phone that he'd used that Saturday night. The man that he spoke with wanted to know why he'd called on Saturday night.

The pastor couldn't figure out what the man was talking about. Then the man said, "It rang and rang, but I didn't answer." The pastor remembered the mishap and apologized for disturbing him, explaining that he'd intended to call his wife.

The man said, "That's, OK. Let me tell you my story.
You see, I was planning to commit suicide on Saturday night, but before I did, I prayed, 'God if you're there, and you don't want me to do this, give me a sign now.' At that point my phone started to ring. I looked at the caller ID, and it said, 'Almighty God'. I was afraid to answer!"

The reason why it showed on the man's caller ID that the call came from "Almighty God" is because the church that the pastor attends is called Almighty God Tabernacle!!

If you believe that God answers prayers then pass this on. God bless!
Old 04-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Assistant Moderator

OK get the tissue ready.. this came to me in the email today and I had tears running so fast I couldn't see the board.

Do you believe in Easter?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas. She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns
One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns. When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting her beside her. Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.
Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure.

Edith began by saying, "My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?" Beverly said, "Why yes I do." Edith said, "Well, what do you believe about Easter?"

Beverly said, "Well, it's all about egg hunts, going to church, and dressing up."
Edith kept pressing her about the real meaning of Easter, and finally led her to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Dr. Phillips said, "Beverly, don't call Edith into the office quite yet. I believe there is another delivery taking place in the waiting room.
After being called back in the doctor's office, Edith sat down and when she took a look at the doctor she said, "Dr. Will, why are you so sad? Are you reading your Bible? Are you praying?"
Dr. Phillips said gently, "Edith, I'm the doctor and you're the patient."
With a heavy heart he said, "Your lab report came back and it says cancer, and Edith, you're not going to live very long."

Edith said, "Why Will Phillips, shame on you. Why are you so sad? Do you think God makes mistakes? You have just told me I'm going to see my precious Lord Jesus, my husband, and my friends. You have just told me that I am going to celebrate Easter Forever, and here you are having difficulty giving me my ticket!"

Dr. Phillips thought to himself, "What a magnificent woman this Edith Burns is!" Edith continued coming to Dr. Phillips. Christmas came and the office was closed through January 3rd. On the day the office opened, Edith did not show up. Later that afternoon, Edith called Dr. Phillips and said she would have to be moving her story to the hospital and said, "Will, I'm very near home, so would you make sure that they put women in here next to me in my room who need to know about Easter."
Well, they did just that and women began to come in and share that room with Edith. Many women were saved. Everybody on that floor from staff to patients were so excited about Edith, that they started calling her Edith Easter; that is everyone except Phyllis Cross, the head nurse.

Phyllis made it plain that she wanted nothing to do with Edith because she was a "religious nut". She had been a nurse in an army hospital. She had seen it all and heard it all. She was the original G.I. Jane. She had been married three times, she was hard, cold, and did everything by the book.

One morning the two nurses who were to attend to Edith were sick. Edith had the flu and Phyllis Cross had to go in and give her a shot. When she walked in, Edith had a big smile on her face and said, "Phyllis, God loves you and I love you, and I have been praying for you.

Phyllis Cross said, "Well, you can quit praying for me, it won't work I'm not interested." Edith said, "Well, I will pray and I have asked God not to let me go home until you come into the family."

Phyllis Cross said, "Then you will never die becau se that will never happen," and curtly walked out of the room.

Every day Phyllis Cross would walk into the room and Edith would say, "God loves you Phyllis and I love you, and I'm praying for you."

One day Phyllis Cross said she was literally drawn to Edith's room like a magnet would draw iron. She sat down on the bed and Edith said, "I'm so "I'm so you have come, because God told me that today is your special day."

Phyllis Cross said, "Edith, you have asked everybody here the question, "'Do you believe in Easter?' but you have never asked me.

Edith said, "Phyllis, I wanted to many times, but God told me to wait until you asked, and now that you have asked.." Edith Burns took her Bible and shared with Phyllis Cross the Easter Story of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Edith said, "Phyllis, do you believe in Easter? Do you believe that Jesus Christ is alive and that He wants to live in your heart?"

Phyllis Cross said, "Oh I want to believe that with all of my heart, and I do want Jesus in my life." Right there, Phyllis Cross prayed and invited Jesus Christ into her heart. For the first time Phyllis Cross did not walk out of a hospital room, she was carried out on the wings of angels

Two days later, Phyllis Cross came in and Edith said, "Do you know what day it is?" Phyllis Cross said, "Why Edith, it's Good Friday Edith said, "Oh, no, for you every day is Easter. Happy Easter Phyllis!"

When she walked into Edith's room, Edith was in bed. That big black Bible was on her lap. Her hands were in that Bible. There was a sweet smile on her face. W hen Phyllis Cross went to pick up Edith's hand, she realized Edith was dead.
Her left hand was on John 14: "In my Father's house are many mansions. he go to prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also."
Her right hand was on Revelation 21:4, " And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes, there shall be no more death nor sorrow, nor crying; and there shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

Phyllis Cross took one look at that dead body, and then lifted her face toward heaven, and with tears streaming down here cheeks, said, "Happy Easter, Edith - Happy Easter!"

Phyllis Cross left Edith's body, walked out of the room, and over to a table where two student nurses were sitting. She said, "My name is Phyllis Cross

Do you believe in Easter?"

Last edited by bar_bar; 04-11-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

God Never Leaves You By Yourself

Author Unknown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was walking down a dimly lit street late one evening when I heard muffled screams coming from behind a clump of bushes. Alarmed, I slowed down to listen, and panicked when I realized that what I was hearing were the unmistakable sounds of a struggle: heavy grunting, frantic scuffling, and tearing of fabric. Only yards from where I stood,a woman was being attacked. Should I get involved? I was frightened for my own safety, and cursed myself for having suddenly decided to take a new route home that night. What if I became another statistic? Shouldn't I just run to the nearest phone and call the police?
Although it seemed an eternity, the deliberations in my head had taken only seconds, but already the girl's cries were growing weaker. I knew I had to act fast. How could I walk away from this? No, I finally resolved, I could not turn my back on the fate of this unknown woman, even if it meant risking my own life.

I am not a brave man, nor am I athletic. I don't know where I found the moral courage and physical strength, but once I had finally resolved to help the girl, I became strangely transformed. I ran behind the bushes and pulled the assailant off the woman. Grappling, we fell to the ground, where we wrestled for a few minutes until the attacker jumped up and escaped.

Panting hard, I scrambled upright and approached the girl, who was crouched behind a tree, sobbing. In the darkness, I could barely see her outline, but I could certainly sense her trembling shock. Not wanting to frighten her further, I at first spoke to her from a distance.

"It's OK," I said soothingly. "The man ran away. You're safe now."

There was a long pause................. and then I heard the words, uttered in wonder,in amazement.

"Daddy, is that you?"

And then, from behind the tree, stepped my youngest daughter, Katherine.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Things Aren't Always What They Seem

Author Unknown

Two traveling angels stopped to spend the night in the home of a wealthy family. The family was rude and refused to let the angels stay in the mansion's guest room. Instead the angels were given a small space in the cold basement. As they made their bed on the hard floor, the older angel saw a hole in the wall and repaired it. When the younger angel asked why, the older angel replied,
"Things aren't always what they seem"

The next night the pair came to rest at the house of a very poor, but very hospitable farmer and his wife. After sharing what little food they had the couple let the angels sleep in their bed where they could have a good night's rest. When the sun came up the next morning the angels found the farmer and his wife in tears. Their only cow, whose milk had been their sole income, lay dead in the field. The younger angel was infuriated and asked the older angel how could you have let this happen?
The first man had everything, yet you helped him, she accused. The second family had little but was willing to share everything, and you let the cow die.
"Things aren't always what they seem," the older angel replied.
"When we stayed in the basement of the mansion, I noticed there was gold stored in that hole in the wall. Since the owner was so obsessed with greed and unwilling to share his good fortune, I sealed the wall so he wouldn't find it." "Then last night as we slept in the farmers bed, the angel of death came for his wife. I gave him the cow instead.
"Things aren't always what they seem."
Old 04-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Remember The Duck

Author Unknown

There was a little boy visiting his grandparents on their farm. And he was given a slingshot to play without in the woods. he practiced in the woods, but he could never hit the target. And getting a little discouraged; he headed back to dinner. As he was walking back he saw Grandma's pet duck. Just out of impulse, he let fly, hit the duck square in the head, and killed it. He was shocked and grieved. In a panic, he hid the dead duck in the woodpile, only to see his sister watching. Sally had seen it all, but she said nothing.
After lunch that day Grandma said, "Sally, let's wash the dishes." But Sally said, "Grandma, Johnny told me he wanted to help in the kitchen today, didn't you Johnny?" And then she whispered to him, "Remember, the duck?" So Johnny did the dishes. Later Grandpa asked if the children wanted to go fishing, and Grandma said, "I'm sorry but I need Sally to help make supper." But Sally smiled and said, "Well, that's all right because Johnny told me he wanted to help." And she whispered again, "Remember, the duck?" So Sally went fishing and Johnny stayed. After several days of Johnny doing both his chores and Sally's, he finally couldn't stand it any longer. He came to Grandma and confessed that he killed the duck. She knelt down, gave him a hug, and said, "Sweetheart, I know. You see, I was standing at the window and I saw the whole thing. But because I love you, I forgave you. But I was just wondering how long would you let Sally make a slave of you."
I don't know what's in your past. I don't know what one sin the enemy keeps throwing up in your face. But whatever it is, I want you to know something. Jesus Christ was standing at the window. And He saw the whole thing. But because He loves you, He has forgiven you. Perhaps He's wondering how long you'll let the enemy make a slave out of you. The great thing about God is that He not only forgives, but He forgets!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The Armed Guards

Author Unknown

Have you ever felt the urge to pray for someone and then just put it on a list and said, "I'll pray for them later."? Or has anyone ever called you and said, "I need you to pray for me, I have this need."? Read the following story. It may change the way that you may think about prayer and also the way you pray. A missionary on furlough told this true story while visiting his home church in Michigan...
"While serving at a small field hospital in Africa, every two weeks I traveled by bicycle through the jungle to a nearby city for supplies. This was a journey of two days and required camping overnight at the halfway point.
On one of these journeys, I arrived in the city where I planned to collect money from a bank, purchase medicine and supplies, and then begin my two-day journey back to the field hospital. Upon arrival in the city, I observed two men fighting, one of whom had been seriously injured. I treated him for his injuries and at the same time talked to him about the Lord Jesus Christ. I then traveled two days, overnight, and arrived home without incident.
Two weeks later I repeated my journey. Upon arriving in the city,I was approached by the young man I had treated. He told me that he had known I carried money and medicines. He said, 'Some friends and I followed you into the jungle, knowing you would camp overnight. We planned to kill you and take your money and drugs. But just as we were about to move into your camp, we saw that you were surrounded by 26 armed guards.
At this I laughed and said that I was certainly all alone out in that jungle campsite.
The young man pressed the point, however, and said, 'No sir, I was not the only person to see the guards. My five friends also saw them, and we all counted them.
It was because of those guards that we were afraid and left you alone.'"
At this point in the sermon, one of the men in the congregation jumped to his feet and interrupted the missionary and asked if he could tell him the exact day that this happened. The missionary told the congregation the date, and the man who interrupted told him this story:
"On the night of your incident in Africa, it was morning here and I was preparing to go play golf. I was about to putt when I felt the urge to pray for you. In fact, the urging of the Lord was so strong, I called men in this church to meet with me here in the sanctuary to pray for you. Would all of those men who met with me on that day stand up?"
The men who had met together to pray that day stood up. The missionary wasn't concerned with who they were-he was too busy counting how many men he saw.
There were 26.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A Lesson From An Ant

By: Josh and Karen Zarandona

Brenda was a young woman that wanted to learn to go rock climbing. Although she was scared to death she went with a group and they faced this tremendous cliff of rock. Practically perpendicular. In spite of her fear, she put on the gear and she took a hold of the rope and she started up the face of that rock.
Well, she got to a ledge where she could take a breather. As she was hanging on there, whoever was holding the rope up at the top of the cliff made a mistake and snapped the rope against Brenda's eye and knocked out her contact lens.
You know how tiny contact lenses are and how almost impossible to find. Well, here she is on a rock ledge, with who know how many hundreds of feet behind and hundreds of feet above her. Of course, she looked and looked and looked, hoping that she would be able to find that contact lens. Here she was, very far from home. Her sight was now blurry. She was very upset by the fact that she wouldn't be anywhere near a place where she could get a new contact lens. And she prayed that the Lord would help her to find it.
Well, her last hope was that perhaps when she got to the top of the cliff, one of the girls that was up there on the top might be able to find her contact lens in the corner of her eye. When she got to the top, a friend examined her eye. There was no contact lens to be found. She sat down with the rest of the party, waiting for the rest of them to come up the face of the cliff.
She looked out across range after range of mountains, thinking of that Bible verse that says, "The eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth." She thought, "Lord, You can see all these mountains. You know every single stone and leaf that's on those mountains and You know exactly where my contact lens is."
Finally, the time came when it was time to go down. They walked down the trail to the bottom. Just as they got there, there was a new party of rock climbers coming along. As one of them started up the face of the cliff, she shouted out, "Hey, you guys! Anybody lose a contact lens?"
Well, that would be startling enough, wouldn't it? She had found the contact lens! But you know why she saw it? An ant was carrying that contact lens so that it was moving slowly across the face of the rock.
What does that tell you about the God of the universe? Is He in charge of the tiniest things? Do ants matter to Him? Of course they do. He made them. He designed them.
Brenda told me that her father is a cartoonist. When she told him this incredible story, he drew a picture of that ant lugging that contact lens (as you see in the comics with a balloon with words in it over his head) with the words: "Lord, I don't know why You want me to carry this thing. I can't eat it and it's awfully heavy. But if this is what You want me to do, I'll carry it for You."
If God is in charge of the ants, don't you think He cares about you and me? I guess Solomon was right. One could learn a valuable lesson from that ant -- trust in God. We could probably all say a little more often, "God, I don't know why you want me to carry this load. I see no good in it and it's awfully heavy. Still, if you want me to, I'll carry it for You."
Old 04-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Why would God want me?

Author Unknown

I'm not perfect. I have all kinds of problems. I have no ability. I have no gifts. I'm just not worthy. Why would God want me?
Well, did you know that....

Moses stuttered.
David's armor didn't fit.
John Mark deserted Paul.
Timothy had ulcers.
Hosea's wife was a prostitute.
Amos' only training was in the school of fig-tree pruning.
Jacob was a liar.
David had an affair.
Solomon was too rich.
Jesus was too poor.
Abraham was too old.
David was too young.
Peter was afraid of death.
Lazarus was dead.
John was self-righteous.
Naomi was a widow.
Paul was a persecutor of the church.
Moses was a murderer.
Jonah ran from God's will.
Miriam was a gossip.
Gideon and Thomas both doubted.
Jeremiah was depressed and suicidal.
Elijah was burned out.
John the Baptist was a loudmouth.
Martha was a worry-wart.
Noah got drunk.
Did I mention that Moses had a short fuse?
So did Peter, Paul - well, lots of folks did.

But God doesn't require a job interview for salvation.
He's our Heavenly Father.
He doesn't look at financial gain or loss. He's not prejudiced or
partial, not judging, grudging, sassy, or brassy, not deaf to our cry,
not blind to our need.
He know who we are and what we are
and loves us in spite of ourselves

SATAN SAYS, "YOU'RE NOT WORTHY."
JESUS SAYS, "SO WHAT? I AM."
SATAN LOOKS BACK AND SEES OUR MISTAKES.
GOD LOOKS BACK AND SEES THE CROSS.

He doesn't calculate how you failed in '99. It's not even on the record.

Sure, there are lots of reasons why God shouldn't call us. But if
we are in love with Him, if we hunger for Him, He'll use us in spite of who we are, where we've been, what we have done, or the fact that we are not perfect!
Old 04-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The Hand

Author Unknown

My daughter, Kathleen, was 15... too young to seriously date but she had a
boyfriend. One evening, when I was leaving to pick up my son, Paul, from
baseball practice, she asked if she could just go with her boyfriend to pick
up his little brother at a friend's house. She said they would come right
back. I said, "All right, just make sure you wear your seat belt, and come
right home."
It was my father's birthday and my 3 yr. old daughter, Therese, was already
at my father's house waiting for us to come over with the cake I had yet to
pick up at the store. I left to pick Paul up at school, but decided to take
the highway, rather than the shortcut along the back roads.
After leaving the school, Paul and I ran in the store for the cake and some
last minute goodies. As we were getting into the car, we heard and saw
paramedics, fire trucks, three ambulances and of course a multitude of police
cars. I got a sick feeling in my stomach and said to Paul, "Somebody needs
our prayers, quick." I wondered if there was a fire or a bad car accident.
At one of the intersections I had to stop to let more emergency vehicles
through, and prayed, "Lord, those people need you right now,
go to them and place your protective hand over them."
We stopped at my parents to drop off the food, before going home to pick up
Kathleen, but my father met me at the car and told us to not to rush, the
party could wait a bit, because Therese had fallen asleep. "Which way did
you go to the school?" he asked, "Because there was a bad accident on the
back road, I heard someone was killed. It happened just about the time you
had to pick up Paul at the school and I know you always go that way. I was so
happy to see you pull in, where's Kathleen?" I explained I was going back
home to get her.
As I drove the short distance home, I couldn't help but worry what if she
was involved in the accident? I ran in the house and called out her name,
dead silence. Then, the phone rang. It was her friend's mother, who worked in
the emergency room of our local hospital. She only told me that the three of
them were in an accident and were being transported to the hospital. I didn't
call my husband at work, nor my parents, I just ran out the door fast.
At the hospital emergency room, I could hear one of the paramedics softly
talking to another parent there, saying "I'm so sorry, so very sorry". I
rushed by him and found the doctor in the hallway. He looked at me and asked
if I believed in God, and with that my knees gave way.
I wasn't ready to accept the fact that Kathleen might be..."Oh please, not my
girl". "No," he said, "you don't understand, do you believe in divine
intervention?" I sammered, a weak, "Yes." Not having a clue what he was
talking about. He smiled at me and asked, "Do you know what shirt your
daughter is wearing tonight?" Nodding no, he told me to go down the hall and
look. "Your daughter is blessed with angels and so are you.
From what the emergency personnel told me, there is no way that your
daughter should be alive, let alone only have a few scratches." Kathleen was
laying on a cart, waiting for more x-rays. When I got to her, we both
sobbed. As I was hugging her I had the urge to check her shirt, unzipping her
jacket. I read the words, "Jesus Saves."
I knew then, what the doctor had meant. All three were treated and released.
On the way home that night, Kathleen told this story: "It was really weird,
about a quarter of a mile before the accident, I said, 'Wait, we forgot to
put our seat belts on, my Mother will kill me.' Then a car was coming towards
us in our lane, he swerved, and I knew we got hit in the passenger side of the car,
where I was sitting. We got hit a total of three times because the car kept
spinning in a circle. I felt his little brother's hand on my shoulder, holding
me tightly in place. "But Mom, after it was all over, I could still feel
the hand on my shoulder. I looked and his little brother had flown out the
back window of the car, as we later found out, on the first spin.
"It was an angel, Mom, I know it!"
I knew it too, especially when we went the next day to look at the car, it
had been split in half, right underneath my daughter's seat. The driver of
the other car, witnesses said, must have been traveling between 90-95 miles
per hour and the point of impact was directly at Kathleen's door. The police
report stated that the car door was found fifty feet away from the accident
scene,with the seat belt attached. So when the door broke loose,
"the hand" was the only thing that saved my daughter's life.
God knew, long before I did that my child was in trouble, and I will always
thank Him for saving her life and restoring mine.
I have been meaning to write this story for the past couple of years.
Kathleen just turned 21. While I was writing this I smiled and cried, but
it's all true.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Assistant Moderator

Bro Pat
I needed that one on Why would God want me?
thanks for posting that one... GOD and I are doing lots of talking and I really did need that one.. I know I got to submit but am struggling with it and I really did need that one.

thanks