Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Quips, Quotes, Wisdom & Scriptures A place to share your quotes, scriptures, and other spiritual wisdom you would like to share.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi bar_bar,

I am not at all offended by your suggestions. To answer your question, yes, Dh and I do pray together. Maybe we need to pray together on a more daily basis. I am sure DH would love that! I was recently feeling that we should be doing daily devotionals together. I believe this was an answer to prayer.

We are not giving up on our search, we just get a little discouraged sometimes.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Blessings,
Jenna
Old 01-19-2004, 07:36 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jenna & bar_bar

dh and I have found that we NEED our daily devotions every morning! We get up, have breakfast, he get's ready for work and and just before he heads out to leave, we sit in the living room and he reads a page from our Couple's Devotional. Then I pray, and he closes in prayer. It is very obvious to us when we miss a day! We used to just do it during the work week. But then we started on the weekend as well. It is as routine as waking up in the morning! What a blessing you both will have!

We just didn't start doing this, we had been in counseling with a pastor for some 'minor differences' and worship together was brought up by the pastor. He told us to try it for a week until our next session and we haven't stopped yet. We graduated fom counseling;-) (marriage improvement is always good!) but we found such peace in devotions together! my dm is widowed. Dad pasted away suddenly 13 years this coming Memorial Day of all times!!! She is so faithful to her devotions. She and dad were always studying the Bible and sharing together. Now she continues on all by herself. She is a trooper!

Jenna, try the devotions together. If it means going to bed a bit earlier in order to get up a bit earlier.....do it! you will have no regrets-other than why didn't we start this earlier!

Have your devotions in the a.m. our friends have tried at night before bed.....you are too tired and often they skip worship time. First thing in the morning starts our day off on the right foot! Will be praying for you!
Old 01-19-2004, 08:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thank you, Lynette!

Do you have any suggestions on books or lessons for couples devotionals?

Blessings to you!
Jenna
Old 01-19-2004, 08:31 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yes, I do!

It will be in the mail to you as soon as you pm me your address!!

Blessings!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Assistant Moderator

Jenna

I am thankful you were not offended, but I have learned that sometimes when you are burden to speak up and you do it can create something special, but sometimes I am afraid that I might get in front of GOD"S headlights and doing it on my own. THIS time it looks as if GOD did directed me and there fore I am glad I spoke up for wow sweet little Lynette ( hope I am spelling your name right, Lynette) is going to send you something it looks like good for her. BLess her

well I got off of my main subject, what I was going to say before wondering off here, is there is a couple bible and I have heard many has enjoyed that.

Dh and I have strange hours and it hard for us to get together, to have devotion together, but we do pray together and we talk with one another, if I have a question about the bible I can go to him and he is there for me. We have tooken time and shut the world away from us and pray together as well. OF course our ages makes a big different as well, I wish we had one another in our early years but of course that wouldn't had work since he is 15 yrs older than me.
My dear husband goes to the Promise Keepers Conf. as well whenever he can, and those times he cannot he listens to it over radio when they are in our area when he can.
His health prevents him going to many things like that these days, but I can tell you we couldn't make it without the LORD exspecially with all the trails we went thru last year.
An remarkable story within it self.

I do know others that has the bible, my dd and sil has it and they love that couple bible.

sorry for ramibling here.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks, Lynette, I look forward to you PM!

Thanks to you too, bar_bar! I appreciate your suggestion about the couples Bible. We like the New King James version, so I will go to my local Christian bookstore and see what they have for couples. DH is excited about it! He and I have very long doctrine discussions, quite often, but not as much time with devotions and simply praying. DH and I love to learn new things and listen to each other's insights about spiritual matters and doctrine, so we have focused on that quite a bit. We are going to shift our focus a bit onto just worshipping together!

Blessings to you both!
Jenna
Old 01-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Does anyone else have a spouse who is a different denomination than yourself?
How have you accomodated each others preferences?

I have been married 12 years and have gone to both Catholic Mass and Baptist/Non Denominational services for our entire marriage. I was raised Catholic and my husband Baptist but we now call ourselves "Bapolics!!" I have enjoyed going to 2 churches all these years. I feel doubly blessed. I have learned different ways of worshipping which I absolutely love and would not have been exposed to otherwise!! I love my Catholic side because it is my tradition, my roots so to speak. I love the quietness, the kneeling in prayer, the stained glass windows, candles and the sacraments. I love the Protestant side for fellowship, hand clapping and raising hands to God during the Praise Music time, the laying on of hands and praying for one another.
Different ways of worship. Different buildings. Same God!!

peace,train
Old 01-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good question!

I haven't been of "different faiths" but I have experienced my husband 'leaving' the faith for a few years and virtually being by myself on the pew every weekend!

Is your hubby 'okay' with attending both services as well? When we were going through our tough times, we had a little old neighbor lady who was a dear sweet Christian woman who had way too much time on her hands. She sought me out and kept whirling that text to me about being 'unequally yoked' and how I had better do something about that!

Well, I did something about that and I prayed my knees off as did our close friends and family members.

I guess I would have to say that if you are not having serious stress in your marraige due to this situation, leave it alone. Or better yet, Get the book that oldfashionedmama shared in another thread. The book by Stormie Ormatian titled, 'The Power of a Praying Wife" and by all means, pray adn ask God how HE wants you to handle this situation.

Do I make sense?
Old 01-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Assistant Moderator

thank goodness dh and I are of the same, now my dd and ds was a differnt one at one time, but the LORD bought them back to what they were raised as, but thru them I learned some things about the Penicostal, and thur this was what helped me to learn the things that the LORD wanted me to learn to have a closer walk with Thee.

This is why I call myself bapcostial for. BOy I had a really hard time with them being penicoatal too but like I said it taught me lots of things.

Isn't it wonderful that with these different denomination we still have 1 GOD and 1 way of getting to heaven thru Jesus. wow.
we are still sisters and brothers in Christ if we believe.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good morning gang....

Just bear in mind that DOCTRINE is the issue not DOGMA

Like for example.....

~some churches baptize by sprinkling some dunk
~some are convicted that they must wear a head covering, others are not
~some churches differ on baptism of the Holy Spirit
~whether men should have long hair/ women short hair
~ whether women should wear pants
~ some churches differ over the woman's leadership role.

Now while I am not making light of any of these issues they are considered dogma and are contraversial issues.
The real issue is DOCTRINE. For example.....here is an example of DOCTRINE and what I know in my heart to be true!

1. We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the ONLY infallible authoritative Word of God. There is no other written revelation of God to His people other than his Word, the Holy Bible.

2. We believe that there is one God eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

3. We believe in the Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. We Believe that Jesus is GOD.

4. We believe that faith in Jesus Christ and regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for the salvation of lost and sinful men. We believe that you must be born again to be a Christian.

5. We believe that salvation is a free gift from God through belief in Jesus as the One and Only Son of God and through repentance from sin.

6. We believe that salvation cannot be purchased or procured by man aside from Jesus and that no human work can earn that salvation.

7. We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by Whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live the Godly life.

8. We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost - those who are saved to the resurrection of life, and those who are lost to the resurrection of condemnation.

9. We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in Christ, and the evidence of that unity being shown by how we love one another.

I also believe stongly in:

Experiencing God's love and grace.

Worshiping Him.

Relying on Him.

Following Jesus.

Believing the Bible.

Pursuing peace.

Belonging to the community of faith.

Witnessing to the world.

Living simply.

Serving compassionately.

When it comes down to salvation is the issue.
Memin was raised Catholic. (when his milking schedule allows) We attend church together. My husband has made a commitment to Jesus. He also considers that although he has taken that step that he is Catholic. My beloved also has thick long black hair down to his waist ( often asked if he is American Indian ;-) ) My beloved also still struggles with smoking. There folks who would say Memin is not a Christian. I am not smart enough to do the Lord's job and be the Holy Spirit. Two years or so ago my hubby made a public profesion of faith. My job now is to pray for the Lord to speak to his heart and convict anything that may or may not need to change.

I am sorry I ramble......

BACK to the original question.... ask God for wisdom and what He would have you to do!

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore