Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Quips, Quotes, Wisdom & Scriptures A place to share your quotes, scriptures, and other spiritual wisdom you would like to share.

Old 01-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Assistant Moderator

Howdy morelia92

for ourselves we had moved from where we were living to where we are now, well we knew we needed to find a chruch and there was a chruc about 10 min from our house, but for some reason we just kept saying we would visit it next Sunday, with each Sunday we asked well do we visit the little whilte chruch and we thought no we go else where to be sure we don't want to make that our chruch.
it was like that little whilte chruch had something that we just didn't want to mess with.
What we came to find out as weeks went on that no matter which chruch we visit we didn't like or it just didn't have what we were looking for.
Months had passed as some Sunday's we didnt go at all.
Finally one morning we looked at each other and we knew that THIs would the Sunday we would go and visit that little white chruch.
We met wonderful friendly folks, and came to realize that the chruch had just received a new pastor about 6 months prior to us vsiting.
We fell in love with the little white chruch that Satan tried so hard to keep us from going to.
Was it satan or was it just not our time to go due to it having a new pastor.
Well it really doesn't matter, for GOD was in charge of when the right time was going to be.
As GOD allow things and allow Satan to temp us to test us,

We joined that little white chruch seveal Sundays after that and been going to chruch there for 6 yrs now.

When we get upset about something or we don't like something and we think well maybe we go .... GOD lets us know that we belong to that little white chruch and we better stay where we are.
We know that GOD moved us to the town we are living in as well as took us to be members of that little white chruch that we do love so much.

When someone ask me what faith I am, well I said first of all I am a born again christian,
2nd I am a bapcostal for I am baptist with some of the pentical ways, if I feel like raising my hands I will, IF I feel like saying AMEN I will.
IF I feel I am called to get on my knees THEN I guess I will

Since I've been to that chruch I been involved in VBS as well as been a director over VBS. as well as been a helper with it
I have been a Sunday School teacher,
and I am looking forward to what GOD has in store for our little white chruch and in my life.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Jenna, I just wanted to respond to what you were saying about the music, and being entertained vs. praying.

I have been a musician in church for 23 years. For almost 10 of those I was a choir director. I'm Catholic, but what I'm going to say should apply to any religion.

Church services are not concerts. A lot of choirs have trouble understanding this. In fact I once had a choir director inform us that we were there to "perform for God" and if no one in the assembly knew the music, that was not a problem. The whole choir had a problem with this attitude!

The purpose of a choir (or any musician in church) is to lead the assembly in singing which is a form of prayer. Sometimes it's appropriate for the choir to sing a solo piece but usually the choir is not there to entertain.

Currently I help accompany the children's choir in my church. They range in age from 7 to 12. The people who come to the Family Mass where the children's choir sings are there because they want to be; young and old clap along with one of the songs we do each week that has a clapping part. And we have been encouraged to bring our toddler even though he gets noisy. The priest and the other people in church encourage us to make sure to bring him. They said that babies and little children have as much right to be there as anyone else, and maybe more right to be there than the people who give us the "evil eye" when the little ones get antsy. My husband does take him out into the hall when he gets too out of control but he likes to go to church, asks to go, and likes to point to the things he sees when he's there every week: the fish in the stained glass window, the flowers, the bell, Mommy up front with the choir, the candle.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here's my penny's worth of thinking.

I love what I have read in this thread. First of all I feel really bad when I hear people talk of not feeling "comfortable" in church. I used to be satisfied to just be an ornament on the back pew! I would shyly smile at others but not really make too much eye contact. Then on our way home, I would share with dh how the congregation 'wasn't very friendly'. Well, eventually I changed my ways of doing things. I took that huge and very scarey step out of my comfort zone - totally making mysefl vulnerable to whatever!! Then, I would keep reminding myself every week at church to make sure and approach someone who looks like they were needing to 'relax' or something. If they looked like I felt...that was my cue! ;-) Dh now says he gets tired of standing around waiting for me to finish gabbing! But I love making people feel better and welcomed. That is about when I started my card ministry. (Greeting cards) and I have stuck with that ever since.

The next step I took was also VERY much outta my cozy zone and that was I started to wear dress slacks - mostly in the winter months. Church is a place where we should be thrilled to see that man in the overalls walk in the door, or that single mom who's wearing too casual of a pair of pants. Hey THEY ARE IN CHURCH!! Maybe they are in need of God more than ever at that point in life and they ARE wearing their 'Sunday best'. That's when we Praise God they are even there.

I know...... I have heard that old saying too many times in my lifetime and that is "if you were going to me the President of the United States, you wouldn't wear jeans would you?" If that was all that was in my closet and as long as they were clean.....YES I WOULD!

Christ never once demanded "proper church attire" and I praise Him for that. I would rather see the seeking in church in what is their best clothing as to have them not come at all. We had a situation in our church like this once. The person had nothing better than his cleanest "less worn" overalls coming to church. He expressed to once of the members how he felt that he wasn't really accepted because of the stares.......(we can be SO incensitive) so he wasn't sure he would be returning. The member asked him to give it ONE MORE WEEK! if things didn't change by then, then he would understand that our guest would have to do what needed to be done.

The next week when the man arrived, he found 15 men in overalls, jeans, or casual slacks. Some wore flannel shirts, some wore t-shirts and some polo-type shirts but there were NO TIES! The pastor chose to wear the casuals and his sermon was on the topic "Come Just As You Are". They supported that guest, they made him feel comfortable, actually....The made him cry! too!

But in silence, the men were saying "Hey man, we love you, we're glad you are here." still sends chills as I think back to that day.

Wow! I rambled, sorry, I may be way off base and I truly hope I have not offended anyone! If I have I apologize in advance. I had not intensions of that.

Christ-like....He wants us like Him so I guess that is why I keep thinking WWJD before I make any moves at all!

Last edited by Lynette; 01-18-2004 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Assistant Moderator

Jenna
after reading Barb post I went back to see your, for I thought last night when I looked over these they were about a year old, and after looking them over they were,
so my question is to you, it been almost a year now, Have you found a chruch that you are n that you are Happy, or is this problem still going on?
For you posted Feb 22, 02.
I hope you have found a church by now.
I would have to agree with barbszy that the music can be a prayer offer up to the LORD. I am a baptist like I mention earlier and I love to hear the music of the old and the style we have today that is upbeat.
I cannot sing a tune, but boy do I love to hear the music and worship the LORD thru listening to the MUSIC.

barbszy thanks for sharing, it was interesting to find out that you been a choir director. if for some how I've missed this on another thread forgive me, but sure am glad to find it out.

I will have to say that you mention about Performing for GOD, I believe this is something we really can't do, for if we are just there to perform for the LORD, then our heart and spirit are in the wrong place we have to do it to worship the LORD not to perform
Now at times there are concerts for us the public to enjoy and to me this is different than a chruch service.
Yet we can praise the LORD and worship HIM thru music thanks to the choir. Therefore to me there are different styles and to present music. For myself I am just thankful GOD gave voices to those that can sing and we can enjoyed.
OH what a day that will be when we get to heaven and we can have that beautiful music all the times. Wow !!

We have a young couple in our chruch that taught thier son to be in the worship service and to behave, he is now a cute age that he will say Amen and cute things that will make us laught
When you think of it GOD did tell the diciples to let the children come to HIM
I think it neat when parents works with thier children to teach them how to behave to be involved in the worship and not just stick them in the nursery.
Yes a nursery is important when needed, but you got to work with the children or they will never understand how to behave at church.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

That reminds me!

speaking of 'when we get to heaven'.....One of our members said those who like contemporary and beyond type Christian music and those who are conservative will ALL be shocked, no doubt, as when we get to heaven we will hear music like we never ever imagined!! and....he added.......we will all be happy! Now THAT is the power of God!!!

Awesome. "I will lift my hands and sing praises to His Name!". And then we can read David's words of how he sang unto the Lord!

Hey! I'll be able to carry that tune in AND outta the bucket! Wah-hoo!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

OOPS!
Leave it to me to get somethign going again after a year. Sorry!

Well I guess it did get some of us thinking...me for example.
Lynette, after reading your post about the men in overalls and flannel shirts...I had tear in my eyes and excitement in my spirit. Now THAT is how we are supposed to demonstrate the love of Christ!

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 01-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hey Cathy, don't feel bad about starting, thanks for starting it again.
as someone needed to pick up from where it was left off at.
I went and pick up some old thread before and on this religion thread. so if you haven't went to the main page on Religion then click up at top to Religion and look at the main page, as we got seveal threads going again in this forum. and if you think of another subject then start a new thread in here.

sometimes you got to go and pick up the pieces that are left behind to be able to move forward.

ima31girl I have to agree we need to be able to go into the house of the LORD to worship HIM, not be concern with what we wear or don't have. GOD takes us where we are not making us clean our act up frist and thank goodness for that.

David even dance I have a awesome song about that.

Maybe we need to start a thread about Music our favorite. mmmm
Old 01-18-2004, 05:13 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

ahhh.....music!

a wonderful thought! I must say though, as I grow older, my taste is slowly changing...if you want to call it changing.

There's a lot of good stuff out there!

And Cathy.....like bar_bar said...we needed to get this going again. I resurrected some other threads over the weekend, too!they won't start on their own!
Old 01-18-2004, 06:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oh My Goodness! I didn't realize that this thread was active again! Thank you for getting things going again, Morelia92!

Unfortunately, DH and I still haven't found a church home yet. I can hardly believe it was almost a year ago that I posted this. We have tried on and off, but just can't seem to find a good fit. We went to a couple of churches that were actually a bit scary. I am not sure what was going on in some of the services, but they didn't exactly seem Christian. I know this sounds rather strange, but one was talking more about a couple of guys named Nee and Yee, than of Christ.

I agree with everyone about dress codes or the lack of them. I don't believe God cares about my dress or pants, He cares about my heart. It is nice that so many churches now are "dressing down". It helps those who can't or don't want to dress up to feel comfortable and at home. I think God smiles on Sundays, when He sees this!

I would really appreciate your prayers that we will soon find our place.

Blessing to you all!
Jenna
Old 01-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Assistant Moderator

Jenna

can I ask you a personal question? do you and your husand pray together? if so are you both praying that GOD will put you where HE wants you? if you are then maybe GOD wants you where you don't want to be at and this is why it taking so long to find a chruch.
I am not trying to be ugly or be rude in any way, I just speaking what I know can be problems for others.

I will keep you in my prayers that u will find a church home. FOR I do believe it important to be in chruch where you can be surrounded by other christian sisters and brothers.

Sometimes we have to say we are going to go and put that effort in and then GOD will open more doors for us.
I hope you are trying different chruches every Sunday if all possible, kick satan where it hurts and continue to stay in prayers and keep the search
GOD knows exactly where HE wants you both.

GOD BLESS
and glad you came back here.
go visit the other threads under this forum, have you notice Shawn moved this thread away from Policts, which I am thankful for.