Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Quips, Quotes, Wisdom & Scriptures A place to share your quotes, scriptures, and other spiritual wisdom you would like to share.

Old 09-30-2002, 01:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Would you say you are "content"?

I am currently doing a Bible study called "Calm My Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow. It is a thought provoking study dealing with contentment in every area of our lives, from our finances and our relationships, to the roles God has given us to play in our lives.

Looking around at our society as a whole I would have to say that many people are not content with where they are. The constant drive to have more, do more and be more keeps people looking past what they are and what they have to what they think they are missing. 'Is the grass greener on the other side?' they wonder.

What do you think? Are you content with your body? Your relationships? Your finances? Your roles? Your gifts and talents? Something to think about at least...

Blessings,

Angela
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26
Old 10-04-2002, 08:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi! I feel like I am basically content. I have many riches in my life and they aren't currency riches either. lol

I have all that I need and we always have food on the table, bills paid, and everything we need to live. I feel very blessed.

Things I would like to change is to deepen my relationship with God. Times I feel like I do not do or spend enough time with spiritual reading and worship.

I am not contented with my body...I would like to be thinner. And the job of staying healthy is harder as we age.

Most of my relationships are very good, my hubby and I have a great marriage and we have molded into a fine couple. I have a son that brings alot of life and laughter into our home along with keeping us current with all of the electronic gadgets on the market. LOL

I have a wonderful relationship with my mother and I enjoy her so much...it wasn't always that way and I thank God for the time to mend this relationship.

I love the roles I have in my life, being a mother, spouse, daughter, sister, and a friend.

In Christ's Love,
Janet
Old 10-05-2002, 08:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

oooooooo...this is such a GREAT subject! I can't wait to get that book/study. I was just looking for a new study!!

I really try to be content. I have a great husband and children and they're all healthy. And, I'm living my dream of being a stay at home mom! For the most part, I'm happy but lately I have to admit I'm fighting the "bigger house" bug! Everytime I start to have those feelings I just think of all the things I love about my current home. It doesn't take long to get happy!

Then, of course, I'll admit that no, I'm not content with my body! To be blunt, I want boobs!!! I keep telling myself that by the time I'm 40, I'll have bought some!! Unfortunately, it will probably be some time before I'm content with this area!! When I get down about that, (like every summer during bathing suit season!!:mad: ) I start being thankful for good health and staying slim pretty easily, etc. then I start thinking about boob jobs again!!

This is a fantastic subject!

Angela (in TX)
Old 10-07-2002, 09:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think our bodies is one area that it is easy to be discontented if we allow ourselves to be. This book has helped me tremendously with how I look at myself. God created me just the way He wanted me to be. I am "fearfully and wonderfully made"! That's an awesome thought! If I complain about this or that I am really saying I don't like His handiwork. Hmmm...

Now I'm not talking about things I can control such as my weight. If I am struggling with that there is something I can do about it to a point. God created each of us with different metabolism and body porportions so we will all look different. If I'm a bit heavy because I'm eating too many truffles that is MY problem, not His!

I can relate a bit to the boob thing in that I seem to have lost mine somewhere between pregnancy and nursing! I don't mind though. My clothes fit better and I look at my 3 healthy little boys and know that all those years of nursing were well worth it.

I am learning each day to be content with how I am created and what the Lord has blessed me with. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. I think there's probably at least one area in each of our lives that we need to work on in the area of contentment. We're all a work in progress! I'm encouraged to remember that He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it! Thank goodness for that!

Blessings,

Angela
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26
Old 10-12-2002, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question

i can say categorically that i am content with myself and the life i live and have lived....except for the mention of finances. i continually mess up with numbers and money and i know it is not for lack of overall intelligence. i've just had a lifetime antipathy to numbers that continues to plague me. in fact i even hate writing thm or filling in forms etc.

so i'm just wondering, from a conceptual and/or practical level... when you say this...

I'm encouraged to remember that He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it!

i then get a little baffled. i'm not sure my ability with numbers was ever included as a 'good work' to begin with, so how does that interpret into what the completion could conceivably be?

i've been through a bankruptcy and have had counselling and still things go astray. i'm meeting a friend later this week to go through my expenses and bank statement with me and see if she can help get me back on track as i've currently got myself in a mess again.

but, then, on second thought, perhaps i should abandon numbers and continue to focus more on my friends..

i always like to explore the ways that statements of faith can be applied to life and it's daily situations.

good thread!

carol
Old 10-12-2002, 01:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

The Lord has promised that if we will allow Him, He will continue to mold and shape us into just what He created us to be. That is the "good work" that He began in us when He was knitting us together (Psalm 139). I doubt we will ever be "complete" until we reach heaven.

It is exciting to know that with each thing that happens in my life I can use as a learning experience. I truly believe that nothing happens by chance and that the Lord will work all things together for good for them that love Him. Of course this doesn't mean we won't have trouble, the Bible says we will, but that same passage goes on to say - "Greater is He that is in you, than He that is in the world." Thank goodness for that!

It is comforting to know that God is continually at work in my life and the more open I am to His leading, the more I will become like Him.

Blessings,

Angela
Old 10-12-2002, 01:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Mom of 4, you have four kids and you don't have boobs. I wear 34-D and wish for a 34-B . It's hard finding a bra that size. But I am 5'8" and slim so I don't look big.
I am now into post menopause. No I am not content. I have had hot flashes for 5 years and hardly know myself anymore. You really do go through a miserable time. Be content with everything now and enjoy, because the the worst is yet to come.
Old 10-12-2002, 05:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Momof4, big boobs isn't the best thing in the world. They make your back ache and as you age they fall to your waist! lol
Be so thankful for the size you are, you will be so much better in the long run.

I am usually content with myself but some days the thought of "you can't be too rich or too thin" pops in my head.

janet
Old 10-13-2002, 09:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I believe I am am content...to some extent...I have a wonderful husband, we do fight, but who doesn't??? I have two beautiful children, Aaron age 6months and Emily age 4...They are my pride and joy....I have wanted to be a mother as long as I can remember.
One way I can think that I might not be as content as I should be is that I just resently moved across the country.....(3000 miles from my family) I miss them very much especially at the holidays. WE ARE VERY CLOSE !!! I am more content today then I was 2 years ago...I admit I was content to move out here to be with my husband, but very UNHAPPY to leave my family and made sure he knew it!!!!....I have settled in and excepted that this is my home now and I do have family here...and have made several new and wonderful friends......
I too am
Quote:
Originally posted by momof4
.... fighting the "bigger house" bug!
We live in a trailer....which is fine, except the fact that we are slowly running out of room.....no storage!!!!The kids have their own "TOYS R US " STORE..LOL
I am NOT content with my body......I have the "just had a baby body" and he is 6 months old.....and yes boobs would be nice....mine shrank after I nursed.....I wish the rest of me would have...LOL
Money is OK...We pay the bills....ALWAYS have food on the table and have a little extra to buy ourselves a treat once in a while....We have debt...but again...who doesnt???
My DH makes enough so that I can be a SAHM and for that I am truely thankful !!! Once the kids go to school, then I will go out and get a job.....I enjoy being home with the kids but I miss working.......

Quote:
Originally posted by janet

I love the roles I have in my life, being a mother, spouse, daughter, sister, and a friend.

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE

Last edited by emajmom; 10-13-2002 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Contentment is...

...a choice.

Two women looked through prison bars
One saw mud, the other saw stars.

Contentment is about where our focus is. Are we being thankful for what we have, or are we wishing for something more? Are we focusing on what we DO have, or on what we DON'T have?

"...true contentment is separate from our circumstances. Contentment is a STATE OF THE HEART, NOT A STATE OF AFFAIRS." (emphasis mine, taken from Calm My Anxious Heart, Linda Dillow, p. 12)

The things in life we may wish for - changes in our appearance, more money, a bigger home - these are not going to last. What is really important are the relationships we have and how we live out our lives affecting those around us. The Lord has given each of us what He deems necessary to carry out the plan He has for our lives. Can we trust Him enough to be satisfied with that? Elizabeth Elliott once said, "A quiet heart is content with what God gives." That is my desire - to be content with what God has blessed me with, using all I have in service to Him.

So are you looking at the mud or the stars in your life?

Blessings,

Angela