Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Quips, Quotes, Wisdom & Scriptures A place to share your quotes, scriptures, and other spiritual wisdom you would like to share.

Old 10-13-2002, 05:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have been thinking about this & I have decided that I really am quite content with my life. I have a great husband & 4 wonderful sons....although 2 of them are teen-agers - 14 & 17 - A little rough once in awhile LOL. My husband makes enough money so that I only have to work part- time - 2- 5 1/2 hr days per week - 11 hours total.....I work as a Claims Examiner which I really enjoy. I have the best of both worlds.....I am able to get out a little but am able to stay home a lot which works out great for all of us. Of course, it goes without saying that I am not content with my body......I can say it's because of all the kids I have had but my youngest is 7 yrs old & I won't be able to use that excuse much longer....;-) If there is one thing that I am not content with, it's my relationship with God. I have been walking with him since I was 9 yrs old & there have been many ups & downs.....It just seems like you get going in your life and things are going smooth & you kinda forget about your "relationship" until you hit a pot hole & then you remember REAL FAST......That study book that was mentioned sounds like a really good one. I will definitely look it up next time I am at the Christian Book Store. We as women are so busy that we just don't have the time to really examine ourselves & what would make our lives better - We are so focused on the other family members but I think that it would benefit the whole family, If we take the time to really concentrate on what would make us more content.....Just my thoughts.......
Old 10-13-2002, 05:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thank You Angela!

Thank you for such a thought provoking string!

I was able to spend the last 10 months home with our 5 yo daughter - the company I worked for was sold to another company who didn't need the 5,000 employees in our "home office". - This was the best thing that could have happened to me. It was just after September 11 and I had been re-evaluating my life & my relationship with my family, friends & most importantly with God. I realized I'd quietly slipped off into my own track, just slightly away from God. I was so graciously given the ability to spend time re-connecting as a mom & also as a child of God's. I became reacquainted with several s.a.h.m. friends & joined a bible study to realize the worth of me as a child of God's - not just a woman, mom & wife and all the stereotypes & self-doubt we put on ourselves.

I am content as a mom, content as a wife & content as a child of God's. I may hate my body, the things that come out of my mouth, or believe that I'm not a good enough mom because I am once again working outside the home, but I know that what I do is right in God's eyes and He is all the matters!

Thanks again Angela for reminding me what I learned this summer!

Lisa
Old 10-13-2002, 07:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle

Bettan and Janet - I am so encouraged by your postings!! (lol )

Just so you all understand, I am (for the most part) content! I really do love my family, my home, my life, and the fact that I always have hope because I have a God who loves me and is always working in me! I love being a stay at home mom. And, I love having friends here at family corner who offer encouragement.

I think this is one of my favorite threads! Thank you Angela in ID!

Blessings,
Angela in TX
Old 10-17-2002, 03:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Content

I am mostly content, although there are a few things that I have always wanted to do that I might be too old for now.
I do wish I didn't have to work - or that I could work just for fun and not from necessity.
But...mostly I am content.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

I'm enjoying this thread...

For the most part, I am content with my life. I recently turned 40 and had a positive outlook about that. I think my early 30's was the hardest time in my life, as far as being content. Now that my children are 12 & 14, I find I have more "freedom". I can work out of the home, I can go back to school, I have time to exercise, I have time to write (I'm a freelance writer & editor), etc.

As far as the boobs (hee hee), I'm a 40D, but wish I were smaller. I'm not a "large" person, so they're um, too noticeable. And they sag as you get older!

God has truly blessed me with a wonderful hubby of 18 years, my 2 great sons, a nice home to live in (though it's not large, it is ours & I love keeping it clean & comfortably decorated), 2 vehicles that get us where we need to go, decent clothes to wear, good food to have on our table at all times, and sometimes even some extra money to go out to eat or be able to help others. Those are just some of my blessings in which I'm thankful for, every day.

Are there things in my life I could gripe about? Sure! Everyone has problems. Instead of complaining about them, let's take our problems and worries to the Lord in prayer. HE is in control of our lives and knows what's best for us.

Blessings,
Melanie
Old 10-17-2002, 06:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

BEING CONTENT

I just wanted to add my 2cents about being content. We are always saying we are content, but are we really? I wish I was 50 pounds lighter, a bigger house, more money, etc. But I found years ago that we always want what we don't have. Even the people that say they are content.
Let me share something with you. Last night they had a special on about Billy Grahamn. I wept for him. Here was a man (and his wife also) that loved the Lord and that has been sold out since day one on serving Him. I wept because of his age and knowing that maybe time is not on his side. And here I am, 42, healthy, etc, and all I've got to do is complain about what I don't have.
I teach bible classes on Sunday and Children classes on Wed and teach at conferences when needed. However, I wish, no I desire to be sold out. I want people to look at me and KNOW by my walk that I serve Him. Let me add my new motto, "Teach the word of God with all your might, and when possible, USE WORDS!!!!" Blessings and peace to everyone and please pray for me that I may KNOW the Lord, SERVE the Lord, and ALLOW the Lord to work on me.
BJ
Old 10-21-2002, 02:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My prayer for you

BJ,

I pray that you will be able to be sold out - that people will know whom you serve and what you are about. As we seek to be more like Him, the Lord will honor this and bless you for your efforts.

I read a quote the other day that really impacted me.

"God is more interested in my character than in my comfort."

Wow! Gives you a different perspective on things when you realize that everything that happens to me the Lord can use to make me more like Him. Pretty awesome thought!

Blessings to you as you seek to serve Him!

Angela
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26
Old 10-23-2002, 06:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello everyone. I am 43 and have not done with my life what I have wanted. I remember being close to God-a long time ago. I am not content with where I am now. Not in any aspect of my life. My body-I am like 80 lbs. overweight. Being poor and eating cheaply does not help. My relationships are all messed up. I love my family-but I haven't always liked them. I am not very good about my relationships. I like my privacy-but I notice I withdraw from my family. Everyone is getting older. Some have died. Some are a little older than me and our lives are sooo different. I know I should get together with them more than I do, but for some reason I don't. I am divorced. Have been for about 21 yrs. I don't date. I don't have an adult companion. I had wanted a family of about three children, and to stay at home and cook and clean. That is what I wanted, I know that is not very "hip" or whatever they say nowadays, but that is how I feel. I just think I was born a little too late. My finances stink. For a while I got help from HUD. The program they have for women; But when my son started working full time they cut me off. He does not contribute anything to my household. He doesn't even try to pay me back for loans. My role as mother was put into jeapardy by my own grandmother, who thought she was doing good. Gifts and talents-I know I have some-but what are they? My home-I don't have one. I rent a duplex. It is not mine. I know my attitude towards renting is different than some peoples, I just can't forget that this place is not mine. I wish I were close to God again. I feel twinges, every now and then. I know it is him. I wish I want to come back to him. Does anyone else feel as I do? Danielle.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dani,

God is waiting with open arms for you to turn to Him. He loves you with an everlasting love and desires more than anything to have a relationship with you. He can take your life, the mistakes and decisions you've made along the way and work all things together for your good and for His glory. The key is complete surrender to Him. Allow Him to be the Lord of your life. If you're not sure where to start just say, "Lord here I am. I recommitt my life to you to do with as you will. I love you Lord. Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins, thank you for saving me and making me a new person. Amen."

It really is that easy!! As you turn to Him for every area of your life, He will guide you.

There is a book I believe will really encourage you in your desire to be closer to the Lord. It is called The Purpose Driven Life (by Rick Warren). It is all about finding our God given purpose in life, our reason for being. It is a phenomenal book.

I pray that you will be able to have the relationship with the Lord that He so desires to have with you.

Blessings,

Angela
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26
Old 10-26-2002, 06:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Are you content?

Dani: You sound like you are really depressed. It sounds as if there are no bright spots in your life right now. Everything that you mentioned as things you want, are things that are available to you to receive/earn. I am sorry you are so unhappy. We all have bumps in the road, but when everything looks negative to you, it is time to talk with a doctor. Reach out and get what you want or need. You are not too old to change your life, but only you can do it. Your relatives and friends can be helpful but you basically have to make yourself content. I am sure we will all be praying for you. Keep in touch. There are people who do care.