Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Quips, Quotes, Wisdom & Scriptures A place to share your quotes, scriptures, and other spiritual wisdom you would like to share.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Assistant Moderator

stories behind the song

Abide With Me

It is commonly reported that Henry Lyte wrote this hymn in 1847, when he was dying of tuberculosis. He reportedly finished it the Sunday he preached his farewell sermon to the parish he had served for many years, before leaving for Italy in hopes of restoring his health. However, there is evidence that he wrote this hymn in 1820, after visiting a dying friend, who, on his death bed, kept murmuring the passage from Luke 24:29, where the disciples who were traveling to Emmaus asked Jesus to "abide with us, for it is evening and day is almost spent." Perhaps, feeling his own frailty on that Sunday in 1847, he remembered the hymn he had previously written, and brought it out at that time, lending credence to the first scenario.

Originally with a tune that was also written by Lyte, this hymn was not widely used at that time. It was first published in England in a book "Lyte’s Remains, 1850, and in America in Henry Ward Beecher’s Plymouth Collection, 1855. It was discovered by William Monk and included by him in Hymns, Ancient and Modern, 1861.
Lyte desired to leave behind a hymn that would endure. One of his earlier poems stated it: "Some simple strain, some spirit-moving lay, Some sparklet of the soul that still might live When I was passed to clay… And grant me … my last breath to spend In song that may not die!"

Abide With Me
(The Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6)
Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.
Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;
Earth’s joys grow dim; its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me.
I need Thy presence every passing hour.
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s power?
Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through clouds and sunshine, oh, abide with me.
I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.
Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Heaven’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

Lord God, in all this life's battles, trials and storms, we hold tightly to the promise of Your presence with us always. When all have abandoned us, when health has failed and our money is gone, You are still here. Your strength and love carry us on and bless us with peace and comfort. You are the God Most High, our protector, our shield, our rock. In You we have all that we need and the promise of an eternal home with You always. Thank You, dear Father, for that love that endures always, where we rest now and forever, amen.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Assistant Moderator

Lord I Lift Your Name on High

From 1997 to 2002, one of Rick Founds’ songs had the distinction of being the number one praise and worship song being sung in America’s churches, according to Christian Copyright Licensing International’s Top 25 list. Although the song is only of more than three hundred songs that Rick has written, it is by far his most popular. As a young child in Idaho Falls, Idaho, Rick became fascinated with music, often climbing up on the piano bench to explore the keyboard. By age 10 he was writing songs for his Sunday school class, the first of which was “Come to Me.” Young Rick loved hymns and the presentations of the church choir. He also developed a love for the guitar and honed is skills by playing along with television commercials. Rick graduated from college with a degree in media technology. He had wanted to pursue a degree in music but was steered away from that goal by a high school choral teacher who had become discouraged in his own career. Rick did however, take a number of music courses in college, giving him the background he needed for his future ministry. Following college, Rick taught visual technology at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo, California, for 7 years. He led worship on the weekends and snag in special meetings with his praise team. From that employment he went full-time into the ministry of music at a church in California and continued there for 14 years. It was while he was a music director at that church that he wrote his now famous song “Lord I Lift Your Name On High” The song was born out of Rick’s typical devotions. He had a small Macintosh computer and an electric Bible, which he would bring up on his monitor and begin reading where he had left off the previous day. Since his office at church was far away from other people, Rick had developed a habit of playing his guitar while reading the Bible on his computer screen. One day, as Rick was having his daily devotional, the Lord impressed on his heart that his work on our behalf was a cycle of events. Christ came from Heaven to earth, gave His life on the cross for us, was buried and three days later rose from the dead, and went back to His Heavenly Father, making the cycle and our salvation complete. That, essentially, is the lyric of the song. Rick picked up his guitar and began to sing “Lord I Lift Your Name On High.” Rick explained, “it is just a simple song, but it is what the Lord dropped into my heart. The whole song came quickly; I didn't struggle with it at all. I did, however, continue to work on the latter part of the song for another four or five days before I felt it was complete. Then I song it for an evening Bible study. They seemed to love the song. At the time I had no idea that it would be so popular. I had simply written another song, much as I had done many times before.” Rick was thrilled to hear thousands of men sing his song at Promise Keepers rallies. The song has become widely popular and now can be heard in other countries of the world, in many languages. Rick rejoices in letters of how the song has impacted people around the world. Rick and his wife, Debbie, have three daughters and make their home in California.

REFLECTION: There are times when we should worship our Heavenly Father simply for who He is. There are times when we should worship God because of His Holiness, and there are times when we should worship God for all that He has done to bring us to Himself.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Assistant Moderator

To those that are unsure of the song here is the words to the song that goes to the above story:

Lord I lift your name on high

VERSE
Lord I
lift your name on high
Lord I love to sing your praises
I'm so glad you're in my life
I'm so glad you came to save us

CHORUS
You came from Heaven
to earth to show the way
from the earth to the cross
my debt to pay
from the cross to the grave
from the grave to the sky
Lord I lift your name on high

REPEAT VERSE

CHORUS
Old 11-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Assistant Moderator

sharing another story of a song

THE BIRTH OF THE SONG "PRECIOUS LORD"

Back in 1932, I was 32 years old and a fairly new husband. My wife, Nettie and I were living in a little apartment on Chicago's Southside. One hot August afternoon I had to go to St. Louis, where I was to be the featured soloist at a large revival meeting. I didn't want to go.

Nettie was in the last month of pregnancy with our first child. But a lot of people were expecting me in St. Louis. I kissed Nettie good-bye, clattered downstairs to our Model A and, in a fresh Lake Michigan breeze, chugged out of Chicago on Route 6 6.

However, outside the city, I discovered that in my anxiety at leaving, I had forgotten my music case. I wheeled around and headed back. I found Nettie sleeping peacefully. I hesitated by her bed; something was strongly telling me to stay. But eager to get on my way, and not wanting to disturb Nettie, I shrugged off the feeling and quietly slipped out of the room with my music.

The next night, in the steaming St. Louis heat, the crowd called on me to sing again and again. When I finally sat down, a messenger boy ran up with a Western Union telegram. I ripped open the envelope. Pasted on the yellow sheet were the words: YOUR WIFE JUST DIED

People were happily singing and clapping around me, but I could hardly keep from crying out. I rushed to a phone and called home. All I could hear on the other end was "Nettie is dead. Nettie is dead."

When I got back, I learned that Nettie had given birth to a boy. I swung between grief and joy. Yet that night, the baby died. I buried Nettie and our little boy together, in the same casket. Then I fell apart. For days I closeted myself. I felt that God had done me an injustice. I didn't want to serve Him any more or write gospel songs.

I just wanted to go back to that jazz world I once knew so well. But then, as I hunched alone in that dark apartment those first sad days, I thought back to the afternoon I went to St. Louis when something kept telling me to stay with Nettie. Was that something God? Oh, if I had paid more attention to Him that day, I would have stayed and been with Nettie when she died .

From that moment on I vowed to listen more closely to Him. But still I was lost in grief. Everyone was kind to me, especially a friend, Professor Fry, who seemed to know what I needed. On the following Saturday evening he took me up to Malone's Poro College, a neighborhood music school. It was quiet; the late evening sun crept through the curtained windows. I sat down at the piano, and my hands began to browse over the keys. Something happened to me then. I felt at peace. I felt as though I could reach out and touch God. I found myself playing a melody, once into my head they just seemed to fall into place:

Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, let me stand!
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn,
Through the storm, through the night,
Lead me on to the light,
Take my hand, precious Lord,
Lead me home.

The Lord gave me these words and melody, He also healed my spirit. I learned that when we are in our deepest grief, when we feel farthest from God, this is when He is closest, and when we are most open to His restoring power.

And so I go on living for God willingly and joyfully, until that day comes when He will take take my hand and gently lead me home.

Tommy Dorsey

Precious Lord, Take My Hand
(For I am the Lord your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, "Do not fear, I will help you." Isaiah 41:13)

Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, help me stand
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;
Thro' the storm, thro' the night,
Lead me on to the light
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.

When my way grows drear,
Precious Lord, linger near
And when my life is almost gone;
Hear my cry, hear my call,
Hold my hand lest I fall

When the dark appears
And the night draws near
And the day is past and gone
At the river I'll stand
Guide my feet, hold my hand
Old 01-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Assistant Moderator

"Blessed Assurance"

was composed by two of the most prolific Christian hymn writers in history. The lyrics come from a woman with over 8000 hymns to her credit and the music comes from the organ of a lady with over 500 hymns to her credit. One day, Fanny Crosby was visiting her dear friend, Phoebe Knapp. She played a tune for Fanny and asked her afterwards, "What does it say to you, Fanny?" Her reply was simple: "Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine." This hymn is still being played on the church organ in thousands of churches still today.

Despite being blind, Fanny Crosby's impact on Christian hymns was tremendous. She once described how her blindness affected her songs. "I verily believe that God intended that I should live my days in physical darkness so that I may be better prepared to sing His praise and lead others from spiritual darkness into eternal light. With sight I would have bee too distracted to have written thousands of hymns." Without Fanny's faith and Phoebe's organ, songs such as "Blessed Assurance" would have never been written.

Blessed Assurance
(Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. James 5:13)
(And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Phillipians 4:19)

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God
Born of Spirit, washed in His blood.

Chorus:
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest;
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

Chorus

Praising my Savior all the day long.

Jesus, we love to sing about You, about having You in our lives. The salvation that You afford us fills our hearts with melodies and harmonies that can only come from You. We want to praise You with a new song, yet sometimes the old ones say it best. Our stories, our songs are all dependent on the wonder of You. We look in anticipation for the moment the clouds will part and You will call Your children home! What a glory that will be! You are amazing to us. You are everything to us. You are our God, our Savior and our King! Amen and amen.

this this verse is in there too:
Perfect submission, perfect delight
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight
Angels descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love
Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Assistant Moderator

God Will Make A Way

Late one evening Don Moen received a phone call with devastating news: His wife's sister had lost her oldest son in an automobile accident. Don recalls, God gave him a song for the family: "God will make a way/where there seems to be no way/He works in ways we cannot see/He will make a way for me." The song eased the hurt in the boy's parents, offering hope, encouragement and comfort. Soon after God Will Make a Way was recorded, people from around the world began to write and call, telling Don how they had experienced similar tragedies. And all of the calls and letters had one testimony in common: God had made a way in each person's life just when it seemed all hope was lost.

(I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal, and kill, and destroy; I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly.
John 10:9-10)

God Will Make A Way

Chorus:
God will make a way
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my guide
Hold me closely to His side
With love and strength for each new day
He will make a way...
He will make a way

Repeat

By a roadway in the wilderness
He'll lead me
And rivers in the desert will I see
Heaven and earth will fade
But His Word will still remain
And He will do something new today

Chorus

Narration

Chorus

With love and strength for each new way
He will make a way...
He will make a way

Old 05-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Assistant Moderator

Shout to the Lord

(Say among the nations, "The Lord reign..." Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad; let the sear roar, and all its fullness." Psalm 96:10-11)

My Jesus, My Savior
Lord there is none like You
All of my days, I want to praise
The wonders of Your mighty love
My Comfort, My Shelter
Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship You

(Chorus)
Shout to the Lord, all the earth
Let us sing. Power and majesty, praise to the King.
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name
I sing for joy at the work of Your hands
Forever I'll love you, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in
YOU!
My Jesus, My Savior
Lord there is none like You
All of my days, I want to praise
The wonders of Your mighty love
My Comfort, My Shelter
Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship You
(Chorus)
Repeat
Nothing compares to you
I shout your praise
Nothing compares to you
Nothing compares to the promise I have in YOU!
Old 05-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Assistant Moderator

Story of Shout to the Lord

Australia has given to the world of praise and worship music a woman who is both a foremost worship leader and an immensely talented songwriter. For nearly ten years Darlene Zschech and her husband, Mark, have been leaders at Hills Christian Life Center in Sydney, Australia. Darlene is currently the worship director, and Mark is the director of the television ministry.

Darlene was born in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. She says, "I came out of the womb singing. In fact, I can't remember a time in my life when music wasn't a critical part of the atmosphere in which I existed."

When Darlene was fifteen, her father, who had recently recommitted his life to Christ, took her to a youth group called Royal Rangers. She attended for a few weeks, making friends, tying knots, and learning about camping, teamwork, the code of life, and, most importantly, the Giver of life, Jesus Christ. One evening, young Darlene felt "the irresistible invitation to receive Jesus into my life." She recalls, "My long to be make whole overtook my limited understanding, and I got out of my seat and walked with a couple of others toward the leader, who then led us into the most beautiful prayer I have ever prayed."

Darlene is an accomplished singer with eight years of vocal training, and she has worked on commercials for numerous companies. Time and space does not allow a listing of her many accomplishments, yet Darlene was not without her dark days. It was during one of those trying times that God gave to her a song that has made its way around the world.

She insists that it was not a big occasion when she wrote "Shout to the Lord." She says, "I really didn't sit down one day an decide to write an incredible song that will touch nations." She has been surprised and humbled by the attention that the song has gotten, because she realizes that it came as a gift from God.

"Shout to the Lord" came during a very dark day in Darlene's life, in 1993, when her burdens seemed unbearable. To Darlene, there seemed to be no way out of the situation, save for the hand of God. As every Christian should do in a time of perplexity and heaviness, she turned to the Word of God, to Psalm 96 While she read that psalm, her mind was completely centered on the heavenly Father.

Darlene then sat down at an old piano that her parents had given her when she was only five. Her hands fell on the keys and she began to improvise. Soon she began singing the son that flowed from her heart and from Psalm 96, the scripture that she had just read. While praising God in the song, she realized that her depression had lifted and her faith and joy in the Lord had returned.

During the following days, her mind was continually on the song, and she began to realize that God had given her a worship song. She reluctantly mentioned her thought to Geoff Bullock, at that time the music pastor at Hills Christian Life Center, and Russell Fragar. They insisted that she play the song for them. With many apologies, and a fit of nervousness, she agreed to do so. She later confessed that her hands were so sweaty and shaky that it was difficult for her to play the piano. Fearful and shy, she asked Bullock and Fragar to turn and face the wall, looking away from her. As she finished the song, they turned around and expressed that the song was magnificent. Darlene was convinced that they were only being polite.

Some time later, Darlene's pastor heard the song and predicted that it would be sung around the world. How accurate his prediction has become! The song quickly made its way to many other nations. "We hadn't even recorded it, and I began to receive letters from people all over the world who had sung the song in their churches," Darlene recalls. It was later put on an album titled Shout to the Lord. The song quickly went to the top of the worship song charts and stayed there for more than thirty weeks. It was nominated for Song of the Year at the twenty-ninth annual Dove Awards.

In this song of worship, Jesus, our Savior and Lord, is addressed personally, after which is an acknowledgment of His position as our "comfort," "shelter," and "tower of refuge and strength." Even the "mountains" and the "seas" are invited to join the praise of His name. The final line is an all-inclusive recognition that "nothing compares" to the eternal promise that we have in Christ.

Darlene continues to be an integral part of the music ministry of Hills Christian Life Center, while writing and recording worship songs. She has many albums to her credit and has performed throughout her native Australia, as well as Great Britain and other European countries. She currently has approximately fifty songs published. Darlene and Mark have three children.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Assistant Moderator

Bless The Lord, O My Soul

(Psalm 103
Andrae Crouch. I pray you are blessed!

Andrae Crouch's father was managing the family's cleaning business in east Los Angeles when he received a call to become the full-time pastor of a small church. The church didn't have too much to offer. In fact, it didn't even have someone who could play the piano. But he accepted the call.

One Sunday in church, as Andrae recalls it, "Dad called me up in front of the surprised congregation and asked me publicly that, if God would give me the gift of music, would I use it for the rest of my life to his glory?" When young ANdrae said yes, his father prayed for him, and that's when his music ministry began. A woman donated a piano to the church, and Andrae began playing some of the old hymns by ear.

The church had no hymnals and no money to buy them, so Andrae started writing some easy-to-learn and easy-to-sing tunes. One of his earliest was "Bless the Lord, O My Soul," which is a paraphrase of Psalm 103.

(Psalm 103)

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me,
Bless His holy name.
Repeat

He has done great things,
He has done great things,
He has done great tings,
Bless His holy name.
Repeat

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me,
Bless His holy name.
Repeat

Bless His holy name.

O Holy Lord, we do bless Your name this day! We lift You up and proclaim the works of Your hands. You are wonderful! You are righteous! You are loving and kind! We are humbled before Your throne. We praise You and exalt You in the name of Jesus, our Lord, amen!