Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Quips, Quotes, Wisdom & Scriptures A place to share your quotes, scriptures, and other spiritual wisdom you would like to share.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bibles

Which bible do you use for everday reading and is your church a King James only version?

I read the NIV bible.

hugs, train
Old 05-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

I use the NIV version for daily reading/studying.

Our church sometimes uses the KJV...but usually the NIV.

~Melanie
Old 05-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We use the KJV

Old 05-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I like to read The Message but I usually use the NKJV or NIV for study. I have a great computer programme that gives me quick access to many versions. It's a big help, especially for passages that are hard to understand!
Old 05-06-2006, 06:18 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Interesting topic.

I prefer the New American Standard. Most in our church use NIV and I did/do all my memory work out of the KJV. Sometimes that makes it interesting to try and look up a verse I remember but in a different version the key word may be different with the same meaning. Then we get all our versions out to see how they compare.

Oh, and when studying to teach kids, I really like the International Children's Bible. Almost makes it so you don't have to explain anything.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I grew up in the KJV and have always read that. The church I attend now is strictly KJV. I do have a Women's Devotional Bible and another I received as a teenager that are different versions, but I haven't read that much of them. I guess it's just too well ingrained in me to go with the KJV.

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Martiehawk, I know what you mean about memorized verses being in the KJV. I also like the way KJV puts verses in italics when they are not in the original documents. Isn't it wonderful that we have God's word in black and white and readily available to all of us? That's amazing when you think about it!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:17 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

It's put me in a quandry sometimes since we mostly use NAS, as to which version to have my kids memorize from. I think we've pretty much stuck with KJV for memory work. I just feel like it keeps me on my toes and keeps me studying.

I'd love to find a parallel Bible that has KJV, NAS, NIV and ICB all in one. Haven't found it yet though. I think including the ICB is going to be the tough part. LOL!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Martie, I love ICB for the kids as well.
We use NIV at our Church mostly. I have NIV and NAS, and have recently got the New NIV. Dd uses True Images, which is NIV written for teenage girls with lots of articles and bits in it. She loves reading it whenever she gets the chance. Ds has ICB but will get a new Youth Bible at the end of this year. We decided a really cool Bible when starting High School might help keep it up as a good habit!
I love the Psalms in NAS, but like the understanding of NIV.

KJV is still the one that the verses from my past are memorised in!

Thanks for this topic trainlady.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Assistant Moderator

I use the KJV as well as the NIV
our church as used both of these
also from a Hebrew bible to help us to understand where certain words comes from and it's meaning from the Hebrew bible.