Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Being sneaky about eating healthy

Does anyone else have to sneak the healthy foods in just so your family will eat them?
Looking for any suggestions...

I've tried pureeing (sp?) veggies and making them into a sauce over meat, that doesn't seem to go over too well here.

One thing that does work for us is that whenever I make pancakes or waffles, I sneak wheatgerm into the batter. The kids never know and the taste is good too
Old 02-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've put wheatgerm or flaxseed into things too. Generally it's well received.

As far as sneaking the vegetables in, I just don't bother. I am the only real vegetable eater in my house. DH only eats raw things, corn, mushrooms or pickled beets. Pretty much the kids are the same, though the Big Kids both eat green beans. They eat mushrooms too! The little guy will eat mixed vegetables. But there's nothing wrong with raw vegetables. If they're happy with a bowl of cucumber, peppers, or carrots and a little salad dressing for dip, that works for me. I'll cook a little spinach just for myself and let them go for it. Also, they can get many of the same nutrients from fruit, and most kids LOVE fruit.

I figure as long as I am offering reasonably healthy choices, they will be OK. My kids are good eaters. They don't eat a LOT but they eat a varied diet and they will generally try any new food (even ethnic food) that comes their way. I can't ask for more than that.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My kids think anything "white" tastes weird now! I have fed them whole wheat bread, pasta, brown rice, etc. their whole lives, so they don't like how the white stuff tastes now. Our son(first born), never had sugar for three years. Then, of course, he started to go to other kids homes and school and ended up eating foods other than what he had at home. It really didn't change him much though. He still prefers salad or yogurt for a snack, rather that chips or sweets.

DD has a bit more of a sweet tooth, but still eats very well. It is rather important to me, so I have worked hard at developing their eating habits over the years.

Jenna
Old 02-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sneaking Veggies

The best way I have of sneaking veggies to my family is by cooking a meat loaf. I grate carrots very finely to add and sometimes add mashed up green veggies like peas. With the meatloaf gravy over top of it they can't pick out anything "weird".
HTH
Debbie
Old 02-16-2004, 10:07 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have to sneak the veggies in, too. I puree them and then mix them into something else the kids like, such as spaghetti sauce. Or I'll mince them and mix them in with the crust for hm pot pies. Fortunately, my kids like most veggies most of the time. But occassionally they decide all they want is pasta lol!! Since I make my own, I puree the veggies and use the puree as the liquid for the noodles. And of course, we have lots of healthy goodies--squash muffins, candied yams, etc. As long as you take it easy on the sugar, the goodies are ok lol!!
Old 02-16-2004, 03:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well I grate carrots in the tuna fish,hard to see with the mayo .
i also add i can of peas or corn into the macoroni and cheese, but i have done this since my kids are little so they think the mac and cheese comes that way out of box.
also for cakes and cupcakes, i use either applesauce or you can use baby food jar squash or sweet potoato in place of the

oil.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi, bopperm, and welcome

Along with that baby food idea (substitute measure for measure for the oil) you can use baby PRUNES in recipes with chocolate (brownies, chocolate cake).
If you read the ingredients on some of those lowfat cookies like Snackwells, that's how they do it!
Old 02-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Try making your own pizza with a lot of sauteed vegetables on the bottom, covered with the tomato and cheese. My neighbor always did this and the kids never knew! Any vegetable can be shredded and added to meatloaf too.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

wheat germ and flax in muffins!
Old 02-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We all know about squash breads, pies, cookies, even pancakes but I also shred it into into spaghetti and meatloaf and stew. Most vegetables can be shreded and hidden in favorite foods.

Diping rew veggies is fun. Remember fondu pots? It is a great treat for the family to share a pot of melted cheese while getting in all of those great nutrients.

Love & Prayers,
Linda