Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 11-13-2003, 08:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking I've got the cooking blues!

I've got a problem. I love to cook but I'm not in the mood to right now and shouldn't I be? Isn't this the time of the year when we cook and cook and cook till we can't cook anymore but we keep on cooking beacuse we just love too. I used to make up things but the other day I used a recipe. That is not like me at all. I'm thinking that I'm going through the cooking blues.

Can you help me?

Melissa
Old 11-13-2003, 09:33 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Melissa~

You aren't the only one. I love to cook. I just can't seem to get motivated right now. (

Chrissy
Old 11-13-2003, 10:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Melissa--you are amongst good company. Drop by the What's for Dinner thread? and you'll find LOTS of wonderful ladies (and a gentleman!) who face this problem frequently. We do offer some wonderful dinner ideas as well as support. You won't find a nicer bunch of people anywhere.

Come on by! We love new folks!

Jayne

This thread is located at:
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...2&goto=newpost

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 11-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Melissa Kay!
I think even people who enjoy cooking go through times like that. I know I do! I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner but getting through the next 2 weeks....I could care less!
I read recently though, that it is worth all our effort to make dinner for the people who share our table, no matter what the meal. And I agree with that.
There's no shame in having "standby" meal ideas for the days we feel uninspired.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I go through this too. To get myself out of the blues I read all of my cookbooks. This shows me how nice the food can look and then I get happy again. Another thing I do is I take a break from cooking for awhile. I just make easy things like mac. 'n' cheese and soup. This gives my brain the time to relax and sort things out. There is no putting yourself down because you use recipes. I do it all the time and then I adapt it to meet my families needs. You do need to take a little time off from creative cooking to be able to continue when you need it most.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Reading Cookbooks!
That's a great cure, Fantasyrose!
Cookbooks are one of my favorite things to read.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Welcome to the thread! *s*

I think we've all been in that place once or twice.

If you really don't want to cook, maybe order a cooked turkey or ham from your supermarket for a change. You just might need a break!..... *s*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 11-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I get like this too!

What I usually do, is try something new. I think, I just get bored with the same old thing.

I often go to the library and get magazines and books on cooking and read them for inspiration. I have a subscription to "Taste of Home" magazine and find it really inspirational. The recipes in it are not gourmet and call for weird ingredients.

Another thing that helps me when I don't feel like cooking is to use my crockpot. I can get it over with in the morning and then I have the peace of mind all day that my dinner is ready and waiting.

Hope this helps a bit!
Jenna
Old 11-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Assistant Moderator

I have to agree with some of these fine answers that we all get in that rut, we get so rushed and busy here and there exspecially around the holidays we just don't feel we can do another cooking item, also we get tired of cooking. nothing wrong with that, so don't be so hard on self.

there is a cookie thread
located at:
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...3&goto=newpost

you might be able to pick up some good ideas to do and get you into the cookie spirit, then it might get you into the other cooking spirit.

the thread for What's for Dinner is found at:
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...2&goto=newpost

also it doesn't hurt to ask others to bring dishes over for the big Thanksgivng meal to help out.

main thing don't panic in case you are. stay cool, calm and collective. maybe fixing a few simple crock pot meals will help, of course you can always make up seveal dishes at once an then freeze some then pop them into the microwave to warm up.

looking thru ckbooks is another good suggestion that seveal given you.

we all been there and if we havn't then we will be one day. take care.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Mellissa, I know just where you are coming from! I actually quit cooking for about a year or so. I had the wonderful luxury of a dh who was unemployed and I was working full time, so either he cooked or our oldest daughter cooked the meals. It was a wonderful vacation from the kitchen. Now, they are getting burned out, so I have actually cooked 2 suppers in a row! Take some time away from the kitchen, you MAY eventually miss it :D.
Good luck and yes, join us in the whats for dinner forum. I have gained some good friends and they have treated me to some good ideas.
Family corner is the best place to be on the net!