Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-09-2003, 07:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Post Whole wheat

I was wondering if any of you grind your own whole wheat? I am interested in learning more about it and I'm not finding what I'm looking for. First, where can I buy it. I live in Wisconsin and there has to be someplace I can get whole wheat pretty cheap. What kind of "mills" or grinders do you use? I have found a few websites that sell these but they are expensive. They have both electric and hand crank. Also do you have any really good recipes using fresh whole wheat flour? Thanks for your help.

Shelly
Old 02-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Nine Year Member

Whole Wheat

Shelly~~~~ Nothing beats the taste of fresh ground wheat. Years ago I ground mine in my blender when I did not have the Vita-mix machine. The machine is great because you can knead the dough in the same machine. It is an expensive machine but I have used it for other things also. I bought my wheat at the health food store in 50lb bags. I shared it with my friends since the cost was real cheap compared to buying it in pound bags. You can check on the web for whole wheat recipes.

Last edited by Sueanne; 02-09-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Shelley,

I mill my own wheat for bread and other baking. I have a Grainmaster Whisper Mill. It is electric and much quieter than alot of other models. They are rather expensive initially, but come with a lifetime warranty and are very well made. I actually bought mine on eBay, where the price can be quite a bit less.

I also have a manual mill in case we don't have electricity. It is Back to Basics and is quite compact. It attaches to the edge of a counter or table. It has stainless steel burrs so you don't have to worry about rusting or stones gumming up.

I have bought wheat at my local whole foods store. These kind of stores usually give a discount if you buy the wheat in large bags. Usually this is about 50 lbs. Sound like alot, but it will store for 20 years in the right conditions. We use white, food grade, 5 gallon buckets with a very tight fitting lid.

Another source for the wheat is the LDS church. Often you can get a better price and the wheat is excellent quality. I think, you could probably call a local stake in your area and just ask someone there.

I would try my local library for books about cooking with whole wheat. There are also a number of books at Amazon.com about whole wheat cookery. I just bought a really great cookbook called "Wheat Cookin' Made Easy" by Pam Crockett. It is a new publication in 2002 and covers everything from bread to main dishes and desserts.

Hope this helps,
Jenna
Old 02-13-2003, 03:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The things you learn on this forum! This never occurred to me but I will have to check it out. Am I correct in assuming that my Braun food processor wouldn't do the job on this?
Old 02-13-2003, 07:08 PM
Nine Year Member

Julie913~~~~ If it has steel blades it should do the job. Buy a small bag and give it a try. Whole wheat has all the nutrients including wheat germ still in it. If you grind it fresh it has a nice sweet taste. Has all the vitamins your body needs to stay healthy.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Sueanne---My Braun has steel blades so I will have to try this! Thanks for the info (and I will buy a small bag).
Old 02-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Julie,

Just one caution about milling wheat in this way. If the flour gets too hot in the process it will kill some of the vitamins and minerals in the wheat.

I am making bread today, so I should get going and check the second rise!

By the way, my favorite book about bread baking for whole grains is "Laurels' Kitchen-Bread Book" It is the best!

Good luck with your whole wheat cooking everyone!
Jenna
Old 02-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Nine Year Member

Jenna...... Do you buy your wheat already ground? I too like the book Laurels Kitchen my favorite also.

Julie..... Check to see the instructions on your machine about grinding. Some machines plastic is not strong enough for grinding grain.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi SueAnne,

I buy wheat berries and mill my own flour. I have a Whisper Mill(love it!) and really like the quality of the flour that it produces. I buy wheat from a whole foods store in large quantities. For bread I grind Red Hard Spring or Winter wheat and for some things that need pastry flour I use Soft White wheat. I don't store whole wheat flour, I just mill what I need each time I use it. If I have a little left over, I keep it in the fridge. I'm sure you already know that whole wheat flour starts to go rancid in less than a week at room temperature.

Usually, I use the recipe for just the basic whole wheat bread in the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book. It is simple and very good. The loaf will last(without going moldy) for at least a week at room temperature. Not that it lasts a week around here!

Do you mill your own flour?

Jenna
Old 02-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Nine Year Member

Whole Wheat

Hi Jenna~~~~ Glad to meet you. There are not to many woman that take an interest in grinding wheat. It is cheaper grinding your own than buying it at the health food store by the pound. Have been grinding my own wheat for over 25 years started with a blender worked just fine. Use the vita-mixer now grinds it very fast so does not heat up that much. If you use less in the blender it will grind fast too. What ever it produces is worth the extra trouble. Of course having a grain mill is wonderful to have. I even started grinding flaxseed in my ultimate chopper comes out great. My Dh is a diabetic so he appreciates eating wholesome breads.