Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 09-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Head Moderator

Let's Talk Cast Iron Cookware!

I dearly love my cast iron cookware! I have a pot rack we made when we moved in to our log home and all my cast iron hangs on it right above the stove. A couple pieces were my grandmothers. I have other cookware that belonged to her for my saucepans,but cook as much as possible in just the cast iron. I also cook with it over the firepit and on my gas outdoor grill.

I make my cornbread in my large cast iron skillet as well as a pineapple upside down cake in it.

I have several newer pieces that are the cast iron covered with enamel and those cook well also , but I always reach for my old cast iron first!

I have two 10" skillets, two chicken fryer pans (that I use lots for other things too), a cast iron "deep fry" pan with basket, stove top dutch oven, two 14" cast iron over the fire dutch ovens, small and medium size skillet, corn stick pan, two racks for bottom of pans (for roast or whatever), two cornbread skillets, two griddles, a large and a medium raised ridge skillets. I have one very large skillet that will feed about 8 people. I also have lids for most of the pans. I use a file folder metal rack to store my lids on.

What sizes of cast iron do you have? Do you have to fire them up occasionally and then reseason them?

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life

Last edited by cat lover; 09-23-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Cat, I also love my cast iron! I have 4 skillets. The smallest is large enough for maybe 2 eggs and then they get larger to about 16 inches. It is huge and I use it all the time. I have made bread, cakes and of course corn bread in them. I have fried and baked, roasted and thawed in them. I have 3 magnetic strips placed close together beside my stove that I keep my smaller pans on and the large one usually sits on my stove top. I haven't had to reseason in a long time cause I use them so often. Love'em yes I do!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 AM
Head Moderator

I love your idea of a magnetic strip on the side of your stove! So many things that could be used for. Only question I have is....Where did you find something big enough to hold your cast iron cookware?

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 AM

I am just now getting into using my cast iron.. just bought my first one a few months ago and looking for more ( Made In The USA only). I have my heart set on one piece that is actually a top for the skillet I never see those offerred in the stores, wonder why?

This is the one that is on my Christmas wish list.

Cabela's: Cabela's Outfitter Series™ Cast-Iron Dome Lids

With that I can cook cakes and corn bread in a charcoal grill if I need to. As most of you know I'm all about being prepared for natural disasters where we may loose power for long periods of time.

Very Good Topic Btw Cat Lover!

Anna
Old 09-25-2012, 04:23 AM
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaInOhio View Post
I am just now getting into using my cast iron.. just bought my first one a few months ago and looking for more ( Made In The USA only). I have my heart set on one piece that is actually a top for the skillet I never see those offerred in the stores, wonder why?

This is the one that is on my Christmas wish list.

Cabela's: Cabela's Outfitter Series™ Cast-Iron Dome Lids

Very Good Topic Btw Cat Lover!

Anna
If you have an "outdoors" type store or even a farm store they have them around here in those type of stores. Another place you can find them is in a Boy Scout Service Center. From small Dutch ovens to large ones. They usually have legs on them to actually set over the hot coals, but you can still use them on a tripod. You can stack them to cook with hot coals on the lids, and I even make a pineapple upside down cake in one of those over the fire. I also have one for the stove top without the legs. Love them all!
We knew we had to be self sufficient here also in the woods. The longest we have been without power was five days stretches, one was in the winter and one in the summer. We cook then on gas grills, wood grills and our firepits. Since we have a well when the power goes out no water either. Covered... double seater out house, hand pump well 1/4 mile away in the woods that is spring fed. We do have a generator for the freezer and refrigerators and once a day hook up the satellite to get weather reports. Kerosene lanterns and ALWAYs extra batteries on hand!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow, I can't imagine having no power etc for 5 days!!
Cat, I put up 3 magnetic strips about 5 inches apart on my wall by my stove. I found them at IKEA and they are strong enough to hold my 3 smaller pans. The extra large one, I keep beside my stove.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 AM

CatLover

Thanks for the tip, my nephew is in Boy Scouts I'll have to ask him about this as I had no idea they even had a service center and sure wouldn't have thought about a farm supply store having them.

Anna
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Head Moderator

Anna, did you ever find the Dutch Oven cast iron pots?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:42 AM

Catlover

I haven't really looked. I will this spring, I'm pretty sure Harbor Freight has them but with the cold weather, the holidays and then my dh being sick fro 6 weeks I haven't had the time to go out and look plus now money is very very tight with all the hospital and doctor bills rolling in. We'll get there though.

Anna
Old 04-19-2014, 07:40 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Many moons ago, I bought my dh a set of cast iron cookware for camping - we've never once taken them out on the road with us, but use the pans frequently. The set came with a double boiler/stock-pot, but we ended up tossing it out because we never used it and it never got "seasoned." Iron pots do not look good when not seasoned and used frequently. The pans we use when we cook ground meat...it is an excellent source of iron.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins