FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Questions Over Coffee (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/questions-over-coffee/)
-   -   Hot Weather Side Dishes (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/questions-over-coffee/25351-hot-weather-side-dishes.html)

barbszy 04-28-2009 09:59 AM

Hot Weather Side Dishes

Now that summer's coming, what are your favorite side dishes to make?

Do you have any ideas for sides that don't take a long time to make and don't heat up the whole house? What about easy sides to accompany grilled meats?

ajrsmom 04-28-2009 05:26 PM

We eat pasta salad and different variations of green salads. I also like broccoli salad, grilled veggies and ice cold pickled beets.

Sometimes I will cut up cucumbers and onions and top with vinegar (sometimes with olive oil). I used to eat the same cukes and onions with a sour cream dressing. MMM!

Baked potatoes in the microwave so not to heat up the house, too!

Sammi1961 05-01-2009 06:49 AM

I do the usual pasta salads, potato salads, green salads. I also make 3-bean salad and a store bought rotisserie chicken is also great as you can so so many recipes or salads with it. Tuna salad stuffed tomatoes make a quick dish also. Some night's for dinner we will just have homemade Italian sandwiches and chips for dinner.

does anyone have a good recipe for a cold broccoli salad? I had it once at a party and loved it but forgot to ask for the recipe so would love to find one.

MKS 05-01-2009 09:13 AM

A cold broccoli salad sounds good to me too. I never have thought beyond the cooked veggies/side dishes & really could use this for inspiration. Thanks for starting this thread Barb.

Lisa Berry 05-01-2009 01:52 PM

Crockpots are a summer must and grills. I am self-employed at my home so I boil pasta or potatoes in early morn to not heat up house as we do not have air conditioning:sunburn: . Hamburgers, chicken on grill or crockpot meatballs or lasagna, big garden salads or tomato sandwiches are all options at my house.:sunnnn:

Happily Retired 05-01-2009 04:18 PM

Check out allrecipes.com for broccoli salad. The first one sounds like the one I use, although I put cashews in my for a tasty crunch.

I make a spaghetti salad using ingredients I would put in green salad and use Italian Dressing and sprinkle salad seasoning and mix with the salad.

My mother in law taught me how to make a wonderful salad with cottage cheese, tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, gr onions, avocado, salad shrimp and a little salt and pepper and mayonnaise. My grandkids even like it.

Should I have posted this in recipes?

bluebird 05-01-2009 04:58 PM

I make a pasta salad loaded with fresh veggies, green salads, kabobs on the grill, foil potatoes. My favorite is sliced tomatoes, onions and cukes, drizzled with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper.

barbszy 05-01-2009 06:26 PM

Happily Retired, you can post recipes here OR in the recipes section. Take your pick! :) That broccoli salad sounds good.

Sammi1961 05-02-2009 05:33 AM

HappilyRetired, could you post the recipe for your mil's salad made with the cottage cheese? It sounds really good!!
And thank you for reminding me about Allrecipes.com. I have been to the site before but never thought to look for broccoli salad.

barbszy 05-02-2009 05:56 AM

We have 3 Broccoli Salad recipes here at FC:

Broccoli Salad

Broccoli & Cauliflower salad

Broccoli Salad Recipe