Hot Weather Side Dishes

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Good afternoon all!!

I particularly like corn done in the microwave, corn and black bean salad, cuke and onion salad with either sour cream or vinegar and a little sugar. I also like bread and butter spears and jarred pickled beets and onions.

Of course there are the pasta salads (I just did one with shells, onion, black beans, cubed turkey and Wishbone cheddar, bacon Ranch Dressing), potato salads, cole slaw (with or without craisins/raisins), etc.

Take care all!! Norma
  • One of my family's favorite summer side dishes is Couscous, Corn & Black Bean Salad:

1-1/4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (or plain water)
    1 cup uncooked couscous
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 green onions, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
    2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    salt and pepper to taste

Bring broth to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover pot and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous well with fork, breaking up any chunks.

In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, vinegar and cumin. Add green onions, red pepper, corn and beans and toss to coat.

Add couscous to the bowl with vegetables and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve at once or refrigerate until ready to serve.

A couple of hints. I mix the frozen corn into the couscous after the couscous has been sitting about 10 minutes. This helps to thaw the corn and cool the couscous down faster.

I usually double the dressing ingredients. To me and my family, it tastes better that way.