Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 12-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Opening Your Own Grocery Store: What Would You Do Differently ?

You've just been given a couple million dollars to start your own grocery store. What would you do differently than what you see at your local food store chains?

Anna
Old 12-03-2008, 06:37 PM

I would have no clutter junk like magazines, candy at the registers or all that other clutter they have hanging there.

I'd have a cashier at each register all the time and long conveyer belts. I would not have any self serve registers.

I'd only carry foods that were healthy and not according to their titles of things like "Healthy Choice" but actually by their nutrition labels.

My cashiers would have a place to sit while they do their work like Aldi's does.

Oh and all my products would be made in America, Mexico or Canada... nothing from overseas. And preferably any gift products like candles, soaps, blankets, etc. would be hand made not stuff that looks hand made but is made overseas.

What would you change if you were doing your own store?

Anna
Old 12-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Assistant Moderator

Have staff to answer questions on any of the items present.
Finding staff can be very difficult sometimes.
That's one for starters, interesting question.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Bilby

Very good point, I ran into those very problems Friday at both Walmarts and Target. A station with a attendant on duty at each station would be ideal.

Anna
Old 12-03-2008, 06:43 PM

I should clarify too by overseas I mean the mideast... I rarely see items for sale in the US from England, Australia, France, Ireland or Italy... it's all made in places like China, Guatamala, S. Africa, Korea, Egypt... these people are not our friends.

Anna
Old 12-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Assistant Moderator

Another on the staff issue would be at lunch time there is still staff to serve, it seems they all go out to lunch at once and leave 1 person to run the whole store LOL

And for here I'd have all Australian made products and produce.

We'd have the most perfectly run store in the world Anna!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:47 PM

Yes indeed Bilby and I think it became a trend in the 80's to cut back on staff as much as possible to save money yet the customer is the one who looses as does the store if I can't find someone who A. is available and B. is actually knowledgeable about the product.

Anna
Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Assistant Moderator

How about staff that that when your legitimately return to exchange or refund don't have calculators slammed down on the counter, when you have a voucher printed and sent out by said store have staff complain the writing is wrong when it's clearly stated ( that was my last to-do with a store) wow you could almost see the smoke coming out of her ears.

Wow this could get interesting especially when others join in!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Nine Year Member

I'd have a store where the prices rang up accurately, and any customer going through a self-serve checkout would get a discount on each item.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:18 PM

I wouldn't have anything in my store from Mexico either. Only stuff made in America so I guess I wouldn't have much in my store, would I?

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson