Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-27-2005, 02:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Recipes to use Basic Cake Mix

I recently started OAMC and I mixed up a batch of Basic Cake Mix before realizing that there are not recipes on here on how to make one cake. How many eggs, water, etc? Anyone able to help me out here? Thanks
Old 07-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Welcome to Family Corner!!

Check out this link. It has a large recipe for using the basic cake mix and then there is a website listed with other recipes for the cake mix . http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...ad.php3?t=7984

Hope this is what you are looking for! If not, please let me know and I will continue to search for you.

If you have other OMAC recipes, I would love to see them too!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That is a really big site mentioned in the link above.

Here is the link that will take you directly to the mixes and make yourself recipes from that particular site: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/9/0.shtml

I will see if I can find some other recipes for you too!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 07-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Some more: http://mixes.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/29/0.shtml

From the Dollar Stretcher:

Cake Mix recipe is down below first recipe listed here.

Basic Mix

17 cups all-purpose flour
8 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoon salt
4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups instant non-fat dry milk powder
4 1/2 cups shortening

In a very large bowl, stir together all dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place. Makes 26 cups. Mix will keep for two to three months. As with any mix, always remember to label and date all containers carefully.

Variations:

For biscuits, mix together 3 cups of baking mix and 2/3 cup water or milk. Blend well, knead slightly, then roll out and cut into desired shape. Bake at 450° for 10 to 15 minutes. Makes 10 to 12 biscuits. For drop biscuits, add 2 tablespoons extra liquid.

For pancakes, mix together 4 1/2 cups basic mix and 2 tablespoons sugar until blended. Add 2 beaten eggs and 2 3/4 cups milk, buttermilk or water. Mix thoroughly. Bake on a well-greased hot griddle. Makes 13 to 16 6-inch pancakes.

For muffins, blend 2 2/3 cups basic mix and 4 tablespoons sugar. Add 1 beaten egg and 1 cup milk or water. Stir just until blended together. Pour into greased muffin cups. Bake at 425° degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Makes one dozen muffins.

For corn bread, mix 3 cups basic mix, 9 tablespoons cornmeal, and 1 cup sugar. Blend well. Add 3 eggs, 1 1/2 cups milk or water and 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine. Fill greased 9 x 13-inch pan with batter. Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes.

For breadsticks, mix 2 cups basic mix, 1/2 cup cornmeal or flour, and 1/2 teaspoon salt together. Add a scant 1/2 cup milk or water. Blend to form a dough, then knead until smooth. Form into 12 small logs, about 1/2 inch thick. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes until crisp and well browned.

For doughnuts, blend 3 cups basic mix, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Mix together 2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 eggs, 2/3 cup milk or water in a separate bowl, then add to dry ingredients. Stir until dough forms. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Roll out 1/2 inch thick and cut with a floured cutter or drinking glass. Fry in hot oil, about 375°, turning once to brown each side. Drain on paper towels. Dredge in powdered sugar while doughnuts are still warm.

For molasses cookies, mix 2 cups basic mix, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Blend. Stir in 1 egg yolk and 1/2 cup molasses. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Flatten with a sugar-dipped glass. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet 375° for 10 minutes, or until edges are brown. Cool. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

Cocoa Cake and Brownie Mix

9 cups all-purpose flour
6 teaspoon baking powder
6 teaspoon salt
12 1/2 cups sugar
12 ounces unsweetened cocoa powder

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place. Mix will keep for 2 to 3 months. Be sure to label and date.

For cocoa cake, bring 1 cup water and 1/4 cup butter or margarine to a boil in a saucepan. In a large bowl, combine hot water and butter with 2 cups Cocoa Cake and Brownie mix, 1/4 cup dairy sour cream, 1 beaten egg, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Blend. Pour into a greased cake pan. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until done. Makes one layer. Double recipe for a two layer cake.

For brownies, mix 2 1/4 cups Cocoa Cake and Brownie mix, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine. Blend well. Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts if desired. Pour into a greased and floured 8-inch pan. Bake 350° for 30 to 35 minutes.

For cocoa cookies, beat together 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine, 2 eggs, and 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon water. Add 2 1/4 cups Cocoa Cake and Brownie mix, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 3/4 cup flour and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Blend well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets, approximately 2 inches apart. Bake 10 to 12 minutes at 375°, or until edges are brown. Cool. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Basic Cake Mix

15 cups all-purpose flour
9 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup cornstarch
7 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups shortening

In a large bowl, blend all dry ingredients until well mixed. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place. Mixture will keep two to three months. Makes about 25 1/2 cups mix.

For yellow cake, combine 5 cups Cake mix, 1 1/4 cups milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat well. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each additional egg. Pour into two greased and floured 8- or 9-inch pans. Bake 350° for 35 to 40 minutes. To make white cake, simply use only the white of the eggs.

Don't overlook the other uses of baking mixes in your home, either. Mixes can be packaged and labeled attractively to be given as gifts. They can be taken along on the family camping trip to add convenience at the campsite, replacing costly prepackaged foods. Mixes are also easily prepared by children, making it simple for them to help in the kitchen. Mix away!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 07-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

These sound like good recipes. I will have to try them. What is OAMC?
Old 07-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

OMAC= Once A Month Cooking

Read about it in the Planning Ahead forum here at FC!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus