Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Canned salmon

What do you like to add to canned salmon to make patties?

Do you like stuffed peppers? What do you lkike to put in them?
I don't like meat in mine, just rice, brocolli and cheddar cheese.

hugs,train
Old 07-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

When I make salmon patties, I usually add egg, cornmeal and minced onions.

I've never learned the knack of making stuffed peppers so I gave up on those a while back.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:46 AM

We use crushed saltines, egg whites and diced bell peppers.

Anna
Old 07-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSI
We use crushed saltines, egg whites and diced bell peppers.
Never thought of adding bell pepper before...bet that's yummy!

Will have to try that the next time I make salmon patties!!
Old 07-22-2005, 12:14 PM

Abear

We use diced bell peppers in almost everything we eat. To keep it cheap and affordable we buy frozen diced bell peppers, so much easier to just grab a handful and throw in whatever we're cooking. Dh loves his homemade salsa over the salmon burgers or sometimes just hot sauce.

Anna
Old 07-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSI
We use diced bell peppers in almost everything we eat.
Same here in Cajun Country so it surprises me that I never thought of adding them to salmon patties. I guess because I've always made them the same way my Mom always made them when I was growing up.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Head Moderator

I use my mom's recipe; just crushed saltine crackers; of course she always deep fried hers, but since that is a no-no for us , I use a little olive oil and pan fry them. Mom always formed hers in her hand with her hands squeezed over the salmon; sort of a egg shape of salmon rather than a patty.

Stuffed Peppers; yum!!! I have several ways of fixng them some with ground turkey and others with no meat.

Turkey Stuffed peppers

6 large green peppers
1 1/2 lb ground turkey breast
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 cups cooked rice
Cut tops from peppers, remove seeds and cover with boiling water; cook 10 minutes, drain. Brown turkey, onion, celery and green pepper in skillet. Add rice. Spoon mixture into peppers and place in a baking dish and pour CREOLE SAUCE over, cover. bake at 350 degrees 45 minutes, uncover and bake 15 minutes more.

Creole Sauce

1 1lb. can tonatoes
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp crushed dried sweet basil
1 tbsp flour
1/4 cup water

Combine first 5 ingredients in skillet. Simmer 10 minutes and combine flour and water; add to skillet and cook till thickened.

Hunt's Sauce peppers

1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups cooked macaroni
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
4 green peppers
Brown beef and onion. Pour off fat. Add pepper, macaroni, 1 can tomato sauce. Stuff mixture into peppers which have been parboiled till almost tender. Arrange in baking dish and pour second can of sauce over all. Cover and bake at 350 degres for 15 to 20 minutes or till done. 4 servings

Rice Stuffed peppers

2 cups fat free chicken broth
1 cup raw rice
1/2 lb. mushrooms , chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped onion
1 stalk celery with leaves, chopped
1 tbsp mixed herbs OR 1 tsp dried (chives, oregano, dill, cilantro, tarrragon, marjoram, or parsley)
8 oz fat free shredded cheddar cheese
4 bell peppers, green , yellow, or red
In large saucepan bring chicken broth to a boil. Add rice and cook according to directions on pkg. leaving out butter, and salt. Drain and set aside. In a microwave safe dish lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray mix mushrooms and garlic. Cover and cook on high for 8 minutes. Let stand covered 2 minutes. Stir in onions, celery, and herbs. Add rice and shredded cheese. Toss to combine. Slice tops off peppers remove seeds. Stuff peppers with rice mixture and palce in a microwave round dish. Pour 1/2 cup water around peppers, cover, and cook on high 8 minutes. Let stand covered 3 minutes. Serve hot.

Sometimes I use whole kernel corn drained added or minus the meat. I also sometimes just leave all the meat out and add other veggies or use TVP also.

Last edited by cat lover; 07-22-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:50 PM

The only salmon patties I will eat are the ones my grandmother made. All she used was cruhed crackers and maybe an egg. Mix that with the salmon, make patties and fry.
She is no longer living so I won't eat them any more.
Look in the recipe exchange or where ever it made its way to for my "Chef Guy" winning recipe for Mac & Cheese stuffed peppers. That recipe is very old. Not sure how oild now, but I think it is posted with the recipe.
Coll
Old 07-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Assistant Moderator

stuffed peppers, now I've not tried cooking them with
brocolli and cheddar cheese before, will have to try it

I do like meat in mine, with rice, tomato sauce, mm, it been a long time since I've fixed it

not seen diced frozen bell peppers before either, interesting, will have to see if I can find that in the store.

our salmon patties, we used onion, crackers, egg, cornmeal, but that something we haven't had in along time too, for I forgot everything that went into it. so with this thread maybe I will learn how to make them again, and have some with some good ole homefries... mmm, I'm getting hungry...
Old 07-27-2005, 05:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

salmon patties - I crush soda crackers, mix in an egg, onion, maybe a shake or two of worchestershire sauce, and garlic salt and pepper to taste. We fry ours in a skillet.