Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 12-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

personal tastes

Until I was grown, it never occured to me that not everyone ate things the same way.

For example, I always made scrambled eggs by mixing them in the bowl first. Then I saw a friend put her egg in the skillet and scramble it as it was cooking. I always eat ketchup on my scrambles eggs and that grossed my friend out and I thought it was normal!! LOL

I love saurkraut mixed with mashed potatoes!! My husband thinks that is gross as he does cottage cheese!!! I could live on coattage cheese mixed with tomatoes on the summetime.

What are your personal tastes or ways of making things?

hugs,train
Old 01-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just had to laugh when I read about the ketchup on your eggs. I remember when I was about 7, we went to visit my dad's uncle up in Iowa. He had 8 kids, all girls, all older than me. We spent the night there, then the next morning when we went down to breakfast everyone was already down there at the table; Aunt J had fixed a huge country-style breakfast with sausage and biscuits and gravy and fried eggs. And the girls were eating GRAPE JELLY on their eggs! I thought they were just heathens of the highest order, eating like that! I still think that'd be gross.

That said, I'm a very picky eater!

I guess what surprises me most about people's eating is that no one cooks at all any more. My sister-in-law asked me one time for the recipe for cream gravy. She said the store was out of the packets, and she needed to make it to go along with the meal she was making. I never even knew you could make it with packets!
Old 01-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I like scrambled eggs with catsup too Donna, also with cheese and then on top of grits. I like mashed potatoes mixed with a bit of turnip, never had it with sourkraut but since I love sourkraut will have to try it.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I always scrambled my eggs in a bowl first. But when they were ready to eat them I always mix jelly in with it and mixed with my fried eggs to. It was either grape or strawberr.. My dh thinks it is gross. Also he doesn't like me putting ketchup in my chili, soup or anything like that. Which I don't think is different but guess some do.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I scramble my eggs in a bowl or cup first, but my favorite way to eat eggs is fried over medium in just a little bacon grease. Mmm mmm mmm. I also eat eggs with salsa sometimes.

I know people who can't stand grits. I love grits with butter, salt, and pepper, and there's a restaurant in Austin that makes garlic-cheese grits to die for. But I just do not like sweetened grits. It just doesn't seem right. Eee-yuck!
Old 01-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Nine Year Member

I scramble my eggs first in a bowl with a little milk added. Put a little oil in a non stick pan add some parsley & scallions from the garden. Pour the eggs over that and turn on each side till set. After I eat that I feel energized especially if it is in a sandwich. My Dh likes to buy a loaf of italian bread now that Mom is visiting. Now I know where I get my big appetite from.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I used to love to put ketchup on my eggs and just about anything else when I was a kid, including mashed potatoes.
I am sure I never heard of putting jam or jellie on eggs though. I hate it when my syrup accidently gets on my eggs so I can't quit imagine jelly!
I do remember sleeping over at a friends house and her mom made us French toast in the am. I was really excited until I found out that they didn't use syrup, they put powdered sugar on their French toast. I almost cried!
I love getting the packaged coleslaw mix (cabbage & carrots) and mixing it with veginaise (instead of mayo) and putting it on top of lots of different things and having an openfaced sandwhich. This can be chicken, pork, beans, a hamburger (but then it also has to have a green chili and cheese on top of the burger), or just cheese. Yum! The best part is that the cabbage really adds bulk so I always feel like I have overeaten when I'm done. The rest of the family thinks I just a little batty.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I will only eat scrambled eggs with ketchup. My dh and kids say that it is just plain gross. I can not eat eggs with out it.

I eat sour cream on just about everything. Steak, porkchops, chicken, beef, potatoes, french fries salad and such. I love sourcream and I have found that my kids are doing the same thing also. If there is only a little of it left we fight over who is getting it.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I eat sour cream on a lot of things. I go thro' a BIG tall container from Sam's in less than a month most of the time. Love my sour cream
Old 01-25-2005, 06:39 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Pinkie Winky

Heres a few I do-sometimes not every time

Ketchup on scrambled eggs

Syrup on ham or bacon

Sourkraut with mashed potatoes

Ketchup & potato chips

Mashed potatoes & corn

Ketchup on Mac n cheese

I also will mis BBQ sause on my mashed potatoes (like gravy) when we have something BBq with mashed potatoes!

Thats all I can think of right now but Im sure theres sum more..haha

I do my scrambled eggs in a bowl and sumtimes add a lil vanilla to it! or sum cinnamon or cinnamon/sugar mixture

(MY dad does the jelly on eggs thing)