Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 11-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Family Dinners

How many times a week does your family have a sit down dinner together?

hugs,train
Old 11-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We sit down to dinner about 5 nights a week. We all sit at the table and the TV gets shut off that way we can talk about our day. Guess I'm alittle oldfashion.

Rosey
Old 11-28-2004, 08:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Whomever is home when supper time comes, we all sit together to eat. (except for Super Bowl Sunday - then we eat with trays in the den while watching the game)

Sometimes, it is just myself and the two DS, but we still eat together.

Even if it is not a homecooked meal but something like pizza or take-out, we still eat together.

Although I do hear a bit about the two DS school day on the ride home from school, I get the real "scoop" at supper.

Eating the evening meal together is a good way to chat with your children, keep up with their lives and show them that you care about what is going on with them.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The kids and I eat dinner together every night, sometimes (once a week ) we eat on the run. But we are still together. Husband dear does not get home til after 8:00, so I sit with him when he eats. I try not to eat a second dinner.

On the weekends, I make the big family breakfast. I'm not a breakfast eater, so I clean the kitchen when everyone is in the kitchen. It is kinda crazy in there, but it is fun.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

family dinners

When my kids were little we ate dinner together every night sitting at the kitchen table. Now that my son is in college and most nights its just me and my daughter, we eat together when she is not working.Onthe weekends when my husband is home we eat dinner together.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Assistant Moderator

My children and I eat dinner together as a family every night of the week and it is almost always something I have cooked from scratch. I will admit I take one night a week off and that one night we get take-out like pizza or burgers but we still eat together as a family. My husband often does not get home in time to eat dinner with us but lately has been managing to get home in time. When I was growing up, my mom always had us sit down to dinner as a family so I guess I have followed in her footsteps. It isn't always easy with all the activities we are involved with but somehow I can always adjust the schedule accordingly. I feel lucky to be able to do this as I know it isn't always possible for some families.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:51 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We all sit down together as a family about 4-5 times a week and eat a homemade dinner from scratch and the other 2-3 nights we will eat take out or eat out.

To have a friend, u must be a friend!!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Nine Year Member

I have to admit that we don't sit down together for many meals at all, if we do it's because we went out to eat. When we eat at home everyone goes to their own little corner-although my dd#1 and her dh sometimes do sit in the dining room with their two girls, but usually the girls eat at the table or here in the living room with me.
We always sat down as a family when I was growing up and while my kids were little we usually sat down as a family. I think it all changed when we moved from FL to NC and I started working nights and was never home for family dinner. My girls and dh usually did sit with my mom and eat dinner I know. When we moved into our own house though that changed because I was still at work nights.
We do try to eat at the same time now, we just don't end up in the same place.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Every night.

DH is only home for dinner 5 nights out of 7 but we have a "family meal" every night.

It will really jolt us out of a very nice routine this Monday when DD has a basketball game at 6 PM That's our dinnertime. So I'll have to feed myself and the kids ahead of time and leave a dinner for DH to warm up when he gets in, unless he leaves work early to eat with us and come to the game.

Only drastic and rare circumstances prevent our family (whoever is home) from eating our dinner all together. We like it that way. Dinnertime together is important to our family.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Since now its just dh and I at home and has been for the last 8 years,we always eat together,he isnt always home the same time,but unless its some real emergency and he cant get home right away I always wait for him, When my dd was in school, we always ate together as a family and usually one or more of her friends would join us on week nights.I love it when dd and GK's are here for dinner like they were last night also SIL cant forget him, lol. Its just a good feeling. Alot of nights dh and I will eat on tv trays just because he is exhausted and likes to just relax, and thats fine with me, he works hard all day.
I do make a big deal of sitting down to dinner on holidays if Im the one hosting the dinner,but it always seems to end up at my parents home, only because its more conveinent for us all to go there than to have them travel somewhere.
Hugs Sandie