Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 09-25-2004, 09:41 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question Baking Bread in Coffee Cans

Has anyone ever heard of baking bread in a can like coffee can? I bake it in loaf pans, and heard one day that you can bake it in a can and I was wondering if any of you knew how to do it.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Heard of it but don't know how....sorry. Seems I remember something about putting dough in can and let raise...then i think what I heard was for baking while camping .
Old 09-28-2004, 04:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Back in the 60's us flower children used to bake bread in cans because we couldn't afford to buy bread pans!

Use the smaller size coffee cans. Works best if you line the bottoms and sides of the cans with waxed paper or baking parchment paper - OR buttered brown paper grocery sacks cut to fit.

Then bake as usual! It works! Easy! Cheap!

I now make Kuliche (Russian Easter Bread) in the tall juice cans. I'll try to get the recipe together and post it on the bread thread.

You can also bake bread in clean flower pots!

Peace, Love, and Joy!

And Rikki-Tikki-Stikkies to all y'all!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-29-2004, 03:05 PM
FamilyCorner Senior Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh Elizabeth, us Flower Children, thank you!

Nancy
Old 09-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

GLOW4GOD, you just reminded me. My Momma used to bake brown bread in coffee cans at Thanksgiving and Christmas. She hasn't done that in years. And I had forgotten all about it. Thank you. I don't think she ever had any problems doing it. It was just a basic brown bread recipe she used. I think she buttered and floured the can first but I can't really be sure. I should start the tradition back up for my kids. Thanks again for the memory.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Just some hints about baking in cans:

Don't use cans that have deep grooves in them - keeps the bread from coming out

Butter the inside of the can, line with parchment, brown paper bag or waxed paper, cut to fit. Include a circle at the bottom; overlap the paper at the top and tie it down with string. I make mine like this:

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | | | | | | | | |
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

I fold the bottom strips "in" and the top strips "out." I wrap the paper around my hand and slip it into the can so the bottom strips cover the bottom of the can. Then I put the circle of paper in on top of that. Then I secure the top flaps outside the can with a string tied around it. Now I can put my dough inside the can. The paper is well greased, first, of course. I brush it well with softened butter or melted shortening.

Once the bread is done, I untie the string, and use the flaps to gently pull up on the bread to get it to slip out of the can.

If the bread doesn't slip out of the can easily, don't worry about it. All you need to do is to cut the bottom of the can out and push the bread out from the bottom.

I use soup cans to make small loaves of holiday bread for friends. You need to adjust the cooking time based on the size can you are using. Until you get it figured out, just check the bread every 15 minutes or so. Write down how long it took to get "done" for each size can you use. For instance, I use a 2# coffee can to make Kuliche - and it takes a good 45 mintues to an hour for it to be done through. But when I use the 48 oz juice cans, it only takes about 35 minutes, and when I use an 8 oz soup can, it only takes about 20 minutes!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

OOPS! My "Ascii art" didn't work well! That was supposed to resemble a rectangular piece of parchment with strips snipped in the top and bottom edges! The middle is not supposed to be cut out!

Does that make sense?

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I usually do this during the Christmas season. I just spray the inside of the can real good with Pam or a generic pan spray, fill it 2/3rds full of bread batter and bake until the top is firm when touched. It should fall right out of the can.

Sue L.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:18 AM
Head Moderator

Go over to about.com they have some info on doing that. Here is one of theirs. Good Luck! You might also just type in bread baking in coffee cans on your search engine and a lot comes up.

Coffee Can Bread
From Barbara Whiting,
Your Guide to Stay-at-Home Parents.

This unique bread recipe is baked in coffee cans.
INGREDIENTS:

2 pkg. active dry yeast
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup warm water (110 F.)
cornmeal
1 tsp. salt
5 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup warm milk (110 F.)
1/2 tsp. baking soda dissolved in 1 Tbsp. water
PREPARATION:

In a large bowl: combine yeast and sugar in the water; let stand 15 minutes or until puffy.
Grease the insides of 3- 1 lb. coffee cans and the underside of their lids. Sprinkle cans with cornmeal, shaking off the excess.

With electric mixer, gradually beat salt, 3 cups flour and 1 cup milk to yeast mix; adding alternately and beating well.

Add 1/2 tsp.

baking soda to 1 Tbsp. water and dissolve. Add this to the beaten mixture. Beat well.
With mixer or spoon, beat remaining 1/2 cup milk and about 1 1/2 to 2 cups flour to make a stiff dough that is too sticky to knead.

Spoon enough dough equally into cans, top with lids. Let rise in warm place until the lid pops off (about 45 to 60 minutes).

Carefully remove lids. Place cans upright on rack of 375 degree oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tops are browned and sides and bottom are golden.

Slide out of can to test. Take loaves out of cans and stand upright on wire rack to cool.

Store airtight and keep at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 4 days. Freeze for longer storage.

Slice in rounds and toast and serve. - Marlene

Old 10-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, I've used coffee can for both quick breads and yeast breads. I've never lined them with paper, just sprayed well with Pam and take them out before they are completely cool. If they ever get stuck I rewarm the can and try again. You can use any can if you fill 2/3 full. Bake on middle rack in oven. This may quickly be a forgotten art as coffee companies switch to plastic containers