Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Regional Cooking

What are the foods and recipes that make where you live special?

On the WFD? thread, we've talked about Northern vs: Southern cooking. But how about what makes California Cuisine, or Southwestern cooking unique? Every region has it's specialties... Lets brag a little. I bet we each have something delicious to offer!!

Old 08-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Nine Year Member

I'll be the first to reply, even though this really doesn't apply to my "neck of the woods"

The area I live in has a cheesecake factory...it's actually a business the size of a house.....you name it they make it....

A pretzel factory....same a the above....

A candy factory......same as the above...

Oh my.....let us not forget the brewing companies.....hehehehe

But, I think PA is well now for it's Amish cooking, etc.

Anyway....I grew up in NJ....Only moved to PA 3 years ago. What a diference!!

You have my two cents!

Lauri

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 08-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by danstigerangel
But, I think PA is well now for it's Amish cooking, etc.
Lauri - what exactly is "Amish cooking" ????

Old 08-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I grew up in The Bronx. A borough of NYC that wasn't exactly Manhattan.. (if you know what I mean).

My family was Jewish, but not Kosher.. (Although for some reason we never combined milk and meat at the same meal) We did, however eat porkchops and bacon. And porkcops were ALWAYS accompanied by saurkraut fried in the rendered pork fat, with caraway seeds... Mashed potatoes (no skins) and green peas ( freshly shelled).

My father's parents were German and Austrian. I can't imagine a German meal without Pork LOLOL.. My Grandpa was also a butcher. So we always had meat.

My Mother's parents were Russian. They're known for ther use of sourcream. And Potatoes. Beets too.

A favorite dessert at my grandma's was fruit cut up with sourcream. Strawberries and sourcream, or blueberries and sourcream or bananas and sourcream...

I'd have mine with sugar sprinkled on top, but the grown-ups had theirs without the sugar..

But my grandma wasn't a very good cook. (Her idea of spaghettti sauce was ketchup and oleo mixed with hot water.. Have I said enough there?!) So she stuck to blintz and kugel and latkes and other simple recipes.. She never stretched past her ethnic cooking too much, unless it was roasting a turkey...

My dad's mother was from Vienna and baked the most wonderful strudels and turnovers.. She also made the German dishes, like saurbraten and weinerschnitzel.

My mom was always trying new recipes. Unfortunately she often put rasins or walnuts into things where they should't go... like lasagne or flounder.

Regional eating in The Bronx was ethnic eating. Jewish Deli.. Corned Beef or Pastram on Rye with deli mustard, Salami sandwiches, ( never, ever ham) Never EVER mayonaise!!! --Never never never..WHITE BREAD!!!! LOLOL!

Potato Knishes, Sour garlic barrel cured pickles, cole slaw, molasses baked beans..., stuffed derma, Potted beef, Matzo ball soup, falaffel, Kosher hot dogs, ( Sabrett or Hebrew National) with saurkraut and mustard.. or maybe in the summertime, coleslaw and mustard..

Or it was Chinese food, (Cantonese at that time) ... and NY Pizza is something like no where else in the world..and a bagel in the Bronx is like a bagel no place else. Bagels were always accompanied by lox. ( not smoked salmon, LOX!) On Sundays we'd have smorgasboard. Bagels and lox, chubbs ( baby whitefish) Smoked sable, whitefish salad, herring in creamsauce and onions, chopped liver ( I have a great recipe for this) and fruit and teas. And of course.. sourcream and berries.. lol.. We'd get the Sunday papers, and all try to solev the NY Times crossword puzzle..in pen.. it was the goal every week..

Let's see what else is typical NY..

Gelatto.. I'd never heard of it.. We grew up calling it "Italian ices"
( sometimes called "water ices" ) delicious hand made gelatti scooped into paper cups from the corner candy store.

We call those long sandwiches "hero's" and we like them with oil and vinegar and oregano as a topping...

Soda is soda.. never pop, and a coke is a coke and not a pepsi.. We used to get soda delivered by a guy on a truck, He'd deliver seltzer in spritz bottles.. Colored glass bottles with silver handles that would spray the seltzer water. he'd also deliver Hoffman brand sodas.

We'd have Borden's milk and cream and eggs and butter delivered to our door too. The milkman would come every morning and deliver glass milk bottles into a metal box on our stoop. I remember when the bottles had a little cardboard tab as the lid.

We also had a green grocer that came by in a truck, and all the women came down from their houses and apartments to buy from Benny's truck..

I have never eaten a green tomato, fried or otherwise... but I have tasted Okra when a friend made some for me once. It was ok... not too slimy.. they were baby okra..

That's all I can think of for now... I'm sure as some of you start to share, I'll start remembering more to offer too...

But I figured childhood memories was a good place to start.

Val
Old 08-12-2004, 09:34 PM
FamilyCorner Senior Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lifestar

When I was in high school in Massachusetts, my girlfriends and I would skip school and go to New York. I had some of the best food I have ever eaten there. I loved the hot dogs I got off the vendors on the streets!!!

How fortunate you were as a child!!! I love Vienesse pastries!!! There is a place in Raleigh( 60 miles away) it's sort of an import grocery store, they sell them and I always get some. To die for.

I have traveled so much that I love so many different types of foods.

I will post later, of course, the southern stuff.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifestar
I can't imagine a German meal without Pork LOLOL..

A favorite dessert at my grandma's was fruit cut up with sourcream. Strawberries and sourcream, or blueberries and sourcream or bananas and sourcream...

She also made the German dishes, like saurbraten and weinerschnitzel.

NY Pizza is something like no where else in the world

a bagel in the Bronx is like a bagel no place else. Bagels were always accompanied by lox. ( not smoked salmon, LOX!) On Sundays we'd have smorgasboard. Bagels and lox, chubbs ( baby whitefish) Smoked sable, whitefish salad, herring in creamsauce and onions, chopped liver ( I have a great recipe for this) and fruit and teas. And of course.. sourcream and berries..

I remember when the bottles had a little cardboard tab as the lid.
So, what do Kosher Jews in Germany eat???

SOUR CREAM??? You ruined perfectly yummy fruit by smearing on THAT stuff???

Being of German heritage myself, I love saurbraten, weinerschnitzel, red cabbage, sauerkraut......

I've always heard good things about authentic NY pizza!

Oh....I good bagels......and NOT the kind you get here in the grocery stores!! But what exactly IS lox??? And how are those "chubbs" prepared??

I remeber those cardboard lids on the milk bottles too from when we would visit my Grandmother.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ooooo, this is going to be a fun thread!

Val, I was about the "spaghetti" sauce....in my Irish family, my grandmother (who cooked very plain, little variety, lots of butter and never let pasta or rice pass her lips) used to make "spaghetti" by pouring Campbell's Tomato Soup over Mueller's elbows. My mom and my great-aunt finally got a terrific recipe for real spaghetti sauce from a real Italian grandmother and that's the recipe the whole family still uses to this day. (It's here in the Pasta sauces section).

Except for my college years I have always lived in New Jersey so I am a Yankee through and through

Typically when I was growing up we'd eat things like:
spaghetti
pot roast/roast beef with noodles & gravy
broiled chicken pieces or veal chops
chicken baked in foil packets with some Campbell's cream of chicken soup on top
beef stew
burgers
pizza
baked fish

I don't think my mom is/ever was an adventurous cook though, like me, she loves cookbooks. And she is NOT an adventurous eater!

My DH is Polish/Lithuanian so his family preserves some of the ethnic food customs especially at holidays.

New Jersey has so many different ethnic backgrounds among its citizens that we are privileged to know people of many different nationalities. So my DH, kids and I have had the chance to "eat ethnic" with friends of Polish, Hungarian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Italian, Chinese and other backgrounds.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:58 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

irish food

Dd's dad is Irish and so I learned to cook traditional Irish foods. But dd is not into Irish foods unless its St. Paddy's Day and she has to be the only Irish person who does not like potatoes unless its french fries-LOL! Hopefully she'll like it more as she gets older.

But, when she was a baby I would make her Irish brown bread, soda bread-(she loved both and still loves this), boxty cakes, and colcannon. I couldn't get her to eat colcannon now if I paid her...it's green and she doesn't like mashed potatoes. But, boxty cake and soda or brown bread she would tear up immediately. Dd is at that age where food isn't food unless its pizza or tacos.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:04 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Im not sure which this is but we cook it all the time

Brown Beans
Cornbread
Kruat and winners
fried potatoes
apple pie

Old 08-13-2004, 06:30 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Regionally that can be either German or Polish

My mom being a Northerner also loved baked beans. I haven't seen too many Southerners eating baked beans unless its Southern style. My dad, a Southerner eats baked beans with lots of mustard, lots of bacon and lots of onions. It's not very sweet either.

I have both influences, North and South in my home. I live in the South which is more home to me than the North. Culturally too I am more Southern, but my dd who has lived here nearly all of her life and still shows Yankee habits, such as the liking of biscuits and honey instead of biscuits and gravy. I mentioned this to my sister yesterday about this thread and she said, "Well, that's because she is like us, that's the Yankee in her."

Dd loves sweet tea, she loves her bbq pork sandwiches, her half runner beans and even pintoes. But, she does not like potato salad-(which is Southern style w/ mustard, she calls it mustard salad), but she will sit and eat greens and fried cabbage.

My mom makes sweet cornbread. She doesn't put sugar in it, she does have a wonderful ingredient in it though and it does make it sweet but not cake-like. That's the only cornbread I like.

Around these parts, Soup beans and Cornbread is one of the best meals you can have. Gosh, ya'll are making me want to invent some Low Carb pinto beans!!!