Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Our Kitchen Tables

I have some old publications of a newsletter (It's not published any longer) called "Real Life."
There is an article in one of them entitled:
"Our Kitchen Tables"
that I thought was very interesting.
In part, here is what it says:
" The kitchen table....the heart of the family, the base, with life going around it, sharing meals, playing cards, reading the paper, paying bills, doing homework, telling stories, making birthday cards, scrapbooking, and sharing fears and brilliant ideas.
We don't need to look outside ourselves and our homes to find a life. We can let what we choose into our homes, what we want to listen to, watch and read.
We can welcome people in and live what we value."

I just thought it was a well written article and am wondering if what it says is true for your family? I like the "idea" of family meals but since I eat dinner at work at 3 in the morning, well, it doesn't happen! We do have breakfast and lunch together often though. My husband pays bills at the table and it's where my girlfriends always sit when they come over to visit. What do you think of what the article says?

hugs,train

Old 05-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Trains....

I love family meals~

We have meals around the table as a general rule.
Some times we take dinner in to the living room, but we usually eat together at the table.

I would personally like to see us do more at the table together like games and stuff.
Right now I have a lot of stuff all over the table b/c I am organizing my stuff~

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 05-06-2004, 08:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

When our children were growing up, we tried very hard to have at least the dinner meal together at the table. It was a great time to catch up with everyone! We would find out how things were going in our childrens' lives. Now that the kids are raised, we aren't doing as well with this! Right now, my kitchen table is covered with quilting mess! I have my sewing machine set up and scraps of fabric and supplies covering most of the surface.

I need to get my act together and have meals at the table again!

Jenna
Old 05-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Assistant Moderator

when the kids were growing up we DID eat at the table as a family as much as possible

we still have family meals at the table Most of the time, once in a while we do watch tv if there is something on that we REALLY want to watch while we are eating

we have a table on our back porch that dh and I sit and talk, and drink our coffee together alot of time... to sit and enjoy the night air and sky and the creation of the night life of animals.

then many nights ds and him sit at that table and have men talk... daddy time, discussion time,
our dd and him have done the same thing

have sit at that table and enjoy watching the babies (gbabies) play in thier doll house and play in the back yard.

in fact I guess the back porch table gets used more than the kitchen table.... it our outside table.. and we love it
Old 05-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

THIS THREAD MAKES ME SAD.

WHEN I WAS GROWING UP WE WERE NOT ALLOWED TO EAT OR DRINK ANYWHERE I THE HOUSE EXCEPT THE KITCHEN TABLE.

WHEN MY KIDS WERE SMALL WE ALWAYS ATE AT THE TABLE.

WHEN KIDS GOT BIGGER WE STARTED EATING IN LIVING ROOM.

NOW THAT THERE IS JUST DH ANS ME WE EAT IN THE LIVING ROOM.

I WISH THINGS HAD NEVER CHANGED AND THAT W STILL ATE AT THE KITCHEN TABLE.

I WOULD DEARLY LOVE TO HAVE A PORCH WITH A TBLE TO SIT AT ALSO.

You will be forever missed Breezy...

Love, Your FC Family
Old 05-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Breezy...

Don't be sad... You always have today to change things!

Old 05-07-2004, 06:14 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Breezy,
I agree with Cathy!

Dh and I didnt really eat at the "table" till we had ds now we pretty much do it every night. I think its important as a family, We also recently started playing the high low game during dinner, I figure now is a good time to start that. I cant help though but feel sad when his low is me scolding him sniff sniff sniff!
Leighann
Old 05-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Assistant Moderator

Breezy, if you lived closer to me I would invite you over and we could sit together at my table. and we could even do a bunch and have a meal at your table.

Have you ever told you dh you would like to eat at the kitchen table? if not why don't you mention it and who knows maybe you could start eating at the table at least once a week.
A change could be nice to both of you.

Cheer up, we hate to see it when you are sad.

Old 05-07-2004, 06:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Breezy you are special to us...

Consider this your cyber "table"
Ideas for your table table

Old 06-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hey there, Morelia,
Did you ever get that table all organized!!??
Mine is a lost cause today...........I was doing some scrapbooking, paying some bills, reading the paper....then the cat decided to lay on top of everytning so I decided to come into the bedroom and get on the computer!!!
Looks like DH and I will be eating dinner in the living room tonight!!!! LOL!!!

Breezy............have you had a dinner together at your kitchen table???!!! Maybe plan a fancy dinner, light some candles...etc!!!

Barbar, I would love to come over and have a visit with you at your outdoor table!! Sounds like a lovely place!!!

hugs,train