Instant pudding from scratch?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Does anyone know how to make instant pudding from scratch? I have never seen this recipe anywhere, but would like to be able to make .

What would the ingredients be?

Joy
  • Thanks, I will try this, it sounds very easy
  • pudding
    this is a really interesting website- lazygourmets.com
    they have really simple recipes, and it's like the food combinations can be interesting. its always quick and easy, hence the name. so go and sign up and just check their databank really quick.
    there is this one pudding related recipe I tried. it needs a crockpot, and one of the ing. is box brownie. when you slow cook it, the brownie ends up tasting like pudding.
    check it out!
    Kathy
  • Instant Pudding from Scratch
    I hope this is what you were looking for.

here is the link for lots of home made mixes too

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/mixes/mixes.html

PUDDING MIX

8 cups nonfat dry milk powder
    4 cups granulated sugar
    1 vanilla bean
    3 cups cornstarch (1 pound)
    1 teaspoon salt

Cut vanilla bean into several large pieces, retaining seeds. Mix all ingredients (including vanilla bean seeds) together. Make sure cornstarch is blended in well. Store in 12 separate covered containers or individual 1-cup packages.

Makes 12 batches.

To use, place 1 cup of Pudding Mix in medium saucepan. Add 3 cups boiling water. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. (For richer pudding, add 1 beaten egg.)

Chocolate Pudding
    Add 1 square chocolate or 2 to 4 tablespoons cocoa before removing from heat.

Coconut Pudding
    Add 1/2 cup coconut to vanilla pudding.

Lemon Pudding
    Add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and 1 tablespoon butter. Grated lemon rind is optional.

God Bless.
    Cat
  • What a great resource - recipe gold mine! I'm tired of buying over-priced and over-salty mixes !!
    Thanks
  • instant pudding
    Thanks gals for all the good ideas/recipes. But I am actually looking for a recipe which would match a box of instant pudding. No cooking type.
    Anyone have an idea as to what the manufacture uses to get the pudding to thicken with out cooking it?

Joy
  • REALLY Instant Pudding
    I went looking again, tying to find a truly "Instant" home made pudding mix. Wow...........dont "Home made" and "Instant" cancel eachother out LOL ;-)

I hope this is the answer that you need.

There is a product called Clear Jel that will thicken your pudding
    without cooking. It is available at some groceries,
    and probably at stores specializing in baking supplies. I typed "Clear Jel" into Google, and the
    first listing had the product for sale. There are two types - instant
    and cooked (for pies). Here is the URL:

http://www.theingredientstore.com/ge...oduct_details/

According to this information here it is all the same stuff. Just takes
    about 10 minutes for cold liquids to thicken. You can use Clear-Jell instead
    of regular cornstarch in recipes. The Clear-Jel doesn't break and
    separate like other starches can.

CLEAR JEL
    Ingredients: Modified food starch

Directions: Clear Jel is an amazing food starch that thickens
    food instantly without cooking. It resembles cornstarch and the
    results are similar. Clear Jel reduces the amount of sugar
    needed in certain recipes. It thickens foods instantly, yet it
    can be used in cooking as well. It stores indefinitely. Add Gel
    slowly to hot or cold liquid using a wire whisk. Stir until smooth.
    Allow 10 minutes for cold liquids to reach maximum thickness.
    Refrigerate or freeze finished produces for future use if desired.
    Replaces cornstarch, flour, and tapioca as thickener:

Conversion ratio:
    1 T. cornstarch=1 1/2 T. Clear Jel
    2 T. flour or tapioca= 1 T. Clear Jel

Cat
  • they use a powdered modified food starch.

My son had a can of it when he was in the hospital.. he couldn't swallow thin liquids... they added this to everything to thicken it...
    It's the same thing they use in the food industry.....
  • re-instant pudding
    Thanks gals for all your help, will certainly try the Clear Jel. Sounds like what I am looking for,
    I buy so many boxes of instant pudding ( sugar free) and thought there has to be a cheaper way of making instant.

Instant pudding versas cooked pudding is so much easier, especially when making desserts with cool whip included.

Joy
  • I too have been looking for "homemade" recipes to replace the over salty, WELL preserved, packaged mixes we find so convenient when cooking for our families. With 3 teenagers, 2 parents, a sister and myself in the household, not to mention working outside the house 10 hours a day prepackaged (or should I say preplanned) is the only way to go. I appreciate not only the pudding recipe, but the website that was mentioned too. FamilyCorner.com is a site you can't get through a day without! Thanks for being there! ;-)