Visit for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back Forums > Food > Recipe Exchange > Crock Pot & Pressure Cooker > Pressure Cooker Recipes

Old 07-03-2003, 09:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie
Question ISO Pressure cooker tips & recipes

I just bought an older, but never been used, pressure cooker. I have never used one, but remember how tender and juicy everything was when my grandmother cooked in hers. Before I try mine out, please tell me and suggestions, tips, or if you have any really good recipes. I bought it mainly because my daughter has very low muscle tone in her face and mouth and can't chew anything that is tough, but she sure loves to eat!!
Old 07-10-2003, 11:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie
Pressure Cooker Tips & Recipes

Hi Kim....I have found this site to really be informative....
It is loaded with recipe's, tips and great information on pressure cookers. There is also a FREE Pressure Cooker monthly newsletter you can sign up for at that site.. I love my pressure cooker and wouldn't know what to do without it! :p

Sure hope this link helps you in your hunt for recipes and tips...
Old 07-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie
If you still need ideas outside the links already listed then try They have recipes and user instructions as well.

Enjoy! I have a pressure cooker--have for years and recently bought a 17 qt pressure canner. What FUN!

The ORIGINALnagymom

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 07-10-2003, 01:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie
You might try: or

Best will save energy ($$$) using a pressure cooker

Old 07-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie
I had a pressure cooker quite a few years ago. My only tip is that if they still need to have the pressure released before opening, which I assume they still do, just remember to do that. You don't want hot stuff blowing out in your face. I was always afraid of forgetting to do that, but never did. I am sure you will really enjoy using it.

"Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands." ~Anne Frank
Old 07-12-2003, 08:49 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer
It is real important if you have purchased an older cooker that you replace the ring and the pressure release. These are made from rubber and can deteriorate over time and cause your cooker not to operate correctly and or safely. Next clean the cooker without the ring or the pop off valve and make sure the steam vent is clear, I always used pipe cleaners to clean this. Put your new rubber parts in and you are ready to cook....never leave the cooker out of hearing range, if the steam stops you must find out why and fast......1. water boiled out and now your stuff will burn....2.the steam vent is clogged and building pressure and becoming dangerous, quick cool by running under cold tap water and fast....3. the temp is too low, up your temp the weight should rock but slowly is OK. Good luck and enjoy pressure cooking.
His Will be done

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 07-13-2003, 08:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie
I bought a pressure cooker several years ago and at first was afraid to use it. My sister had used one and ended up with chicken all over the kitchen ceiling. After using it a few times I got used to cooking with it. I just make sure the DKs stay away from it and make sure the pressure is released before opening it AWAY FROM ME towards the back of the stove. It really can take a tough piece of meat and make it tender.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:32 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
Remember too if the rocker is going to fast and it pops off track so to speak, take a folder towel and drop it directly on top of the cooker. Then move it to the sink to cool it off under running water. This way you won't be instinctively tempted to grab the rocker and burn yourself. The towel will also block any steam escaping while you move it to a safer spot.
Forum Administrator

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie
Thanks for the tips and links. I'm going to look at some recipes and get mine back out and give it a whirl.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict
Bought the six quart stainless steel presto over twenty years ago and the finish is still like new. The aluminum ones seemed to stick more and burned at the bottom. The six quart seems to cook better since I don't have to worry if there is too much in it. The thing you have to worry about most is cooking something like lentils that might clog the air vent and not let the steam out.
Living here in Florida with concrete floors there is less vibration especially with children and dogs. The old type pressure cookers would tell you how much pressure you had my new one does not. The rocking is a little hard to get use to but maybe it is better.
Thanks gals for all the great websites .Been using my pressure cook all week especially on cheaper cuts of meat.
"The only reason why people hold on to memories is because memories are the only things that don't change when everything else does."