Quick cooking in this heat! - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 AM
Head Moderator

Quick cooking in this heat!

With so many of us suffering with high temperatures and humidty do you find yourself using your pressure cooker more this time of year? I have been using mine more than I do other times of the year just because it is so much quicker; then I use the crockpot for other parts of the meal and even the microwave. A complete meal cooked without standing over the stove! What are you making?

Last edited by cat lover; 07-21-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I don't own a pressure cooker but I have been using my new crock pot a lot. I love it because it programmable so I can set it and forget it.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Contest Moderator
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have used my crock pot more in the last month than I have in the last six! Too hot to use the oven or stand over the stove.

We are also eating LOTS of BIG Kitchen Sink salads.

Stay cool!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Assistant Moderator

Never have gotten the nerve to use my pressure canner or cooker!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I love my pressure cooker! We grill out a lot during the summer or have salads. But when I want a more substantial meal i just throw a small pork loin, onion, potatoes, and carrots in my pressure cooker and in 30 or 40 minutes we have a delicious roast. I use the left over pulled pork for barbeque sandwiches the next day.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
I love my pressure cooker! We grill out a lot during the summer or have salads. But when I want a more substantial meal i just throw a small pork loin, onion, potatoes, and carrots in my pressure cooker and in 30 or 40 minutes we have a delicious roast. I use the left over pulled pork for barbeque sandwiches the next day.
I just did the same thing with a boneless pork loin - I made homemade bbq pork for one meal and for the leftover bbq, I made Brunswick stew. Both were delicious.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 AM
One Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thumbs up

I don't have a pressure cooker (I have a one-butt kitchen- at least until we move), but I do tend to crock pot stuff. However, for something light yet filling, I take a chicken breast and filet it, then slice it in half for four pieces, then quick panfry them in Montreal Chicken seasoning and olive oil. Then I make wraps! Some mixed greens (or lettuces), tomato, cheddar cheese, bacon bits (the real ones!) and some different kinds of large tortillas. YUM! One pan to clean and no more than a few minutes at the stove!

The best part was, I fed my hubby and two kids with only ONE chicken breast! I made two of them, but four pieces were left- enough for lunch the next day!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you for the recipe Kwiltnwriter! It sounds soooo good, I will have to try it!
Hugs, Paula

http://summdaysummway.blogspot.com
Old 07-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I too have been using my crock pot a lot lately. I've made beans and cornbread (make a big batch and freeze so you only need the oven once) and I made a roast that I used leftover to make burritos.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Like you all I am making lots of sandwiches and wraps, salads and breakfast for dinner. I don’t have a pressure cooker but do use my crock-pot, my electric frying pan or my pancake griddle a lot. It has been too hot to grill