Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Preschoolers & Kindergartners

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 09-17-2003, 10:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Would you share your childs kindergarten curriculum?

I am not very thrilled with the curriculum that my son is following in kindergarten this year. Here is his schedule:

First thing in the morning is either gym, music or library for 45 minutes

Then they read a book

Bathroom break and a snack

They work on their letter-of-the-week book

They have started a math book but so far they are only tracing shapes and coloring. When they dont do this, they put their heads down to rest for a few minutes.

Then they look at their class butterflies or talk about the squirrel stories and poems they have been reading about.

He goes to school from 8:20am to 10:55am and I dont think they are focusing on reading, writing and math enough. They havent even talked about using a computer yet.

Am I expecting too much? I have been told by 3 different people ( they dont know each other) that our school district is horrible. I really want to know what other kids are learing and experiencing in kindergarten.

Please share their curriculum.

Thanks,

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-18-2003, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Just activating this again, hoping that someone will share their thoughts with me.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 10-08-2003, 10:55 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

ajrsmom/Kindergarten

Your child should be learning his ABCs, numbers, tracing letters, colors, etc.

My son is in first grade and I am complaining that they are giving him too much.

If you think they are not giving him enough things to learn, do a search on traceable or printable for kindergarten and suplement it.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I would visit other kindergartens in your area but in a different school district to get a good comparison. I learned the hard way with my oldest. I thought she was getting what she needed but when we moved to another district - only 15 minutes away but another town - I discovered that my daughters school was way behind. She went from having A's at the old school to being put in to a special reading program because she was not reading at the 2nd grade level the new district thought she should be at. When my son started kindergarten in the new district I was shocked at what they taught and what the kids learned. He was reading a few months into the school year. They reviewed letters and then taught the kids sound combinations - sh, ch, etc, math was explained using the numbers, objects and with words. He just excelled. I remember asking the new assistant principal why there was such a difference and she told me "different expectations" At our old school there was a special classroom for the kids who excelled and some mothers were really proud their kids were put in this class - even snotty about it. I'd love to tell them what their kids are learning in the "excel class" is what my kids learn in the regular class!! Good luck!
Old 10-26-2003, 02:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My daughter is in half day kindergarten right now. All I can tell you is that they don't have time for music, gym, or art. They do go to the library once a week, but most of their class time is spent learning to write and recognize the alphabet and numbers 1-20, as well as writing their name. They use the computer for learning games. Each week they have a "target letter" and all week they do papers pertaining to that letter. They also have a "target word" (beginning with the letter of the week) that they rhyme throughout the week. They also have a homework page every Friday. She's in school from 8:10 - 10:40 and they have very little down time. I too would question a 2 hour program that includes a "rest time". Our preschool program was even more involved than that.... it sounds more like daycare to me. If that's any indication of what the curriculum is like for the grades to come then, personally, I would look for other alternatives. Just my opinion, I hope it helps. Goodluck!

Keep your words soft and tender as you may have to eat them tomorrow!
Old 10-26-2003, 03:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks to everyone who has shared this info. with me.

Momszoo, We are looking as we speak. He WILL NOT be attending this school next year.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 10-26-2003, 06:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

This is sort of a sore subject with me as well.

With all the budget cuts and higher standards, there is no time for fun in my sons kindergarten class.
I had his curriculum at one time........

I have been fortunate to be able this year to volunteer in all my three childrens classes.

Anyway, standards for kinders this year in our school are outrageous!!!! These 5 year old children have to WRITE all lower and upper case letters IN-BETWEEN THE LINES before they can advance to 1st grade, as well as read, add, and (I think) subtract. I have told his teacher she will have a lot of repeat kinders but she and the a.m. teacher are working so hard with these kids.
If you feel your child is not being challenged or not learning anything, by all means! change his/her school, even if you have to drive. Although kindergarten is not even a required grade, it's alot better than preschool, even if it has to be repeated. good luck, your childrens futures depend on these early years.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

my son love it!!

hi!!!!

my 5 1/2 son year old love educational videos
Old 04-11-2007, 05:02 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi,
Glad to hear that you have looked around and are changing schools.I know the school here works alot on phonics and getting the kids to read (like small books).In preschool they are working on the letters and they expect the kids to at least be able to write their names.I am working on the other letters in the alphabet and trying to get her to count to at least 20.So far my youngets is ready for school but i also try to help her learn more so she will do good in school.

Mish
Old 04-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Each state has their own standards. Here kindergarden is a full day. Some school districts have nap time others don't. I haven't had a kindergardner in a couple of years but this is what I remember.

Kids have to be able to write first and last name if they don't already know it. This is a preschool item.

know full address and phone number (also supposed to be known in preschool)

count, and write numbers to 100

single diget addition, and subtraction

100 sight words

begin reading by end of year should know some compound words.

They go to all specials, gym, art, library and music