Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 04-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Does your child attend 1/2 day or full day kindergarten?

I just registered my son for kindergarten and found out that they only have 1/2 day morning classes here. Im kind of upset at the fact that he will only be going from 8:15 am - 11:00 am. This just doesnt seem like its long enough for him to actually get settled down to learn anything.

Since he will be 6 soon after the school year starts, Im hoping that he doesnt get bored with this.

Id like to hear from other parents about the pro and cons of this situation.

Thanks
Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 05-03-2003, 09:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think it`s a good thing if they start off with half days for their first schoolyear! It gives the kids time to adjust and they will have plenty of time to learn.
My dd Nicki started Kindergarten last fall and she had to go full day (from 8:30 till 3:00 pm). That is all our schooldistrict here offers. She is exhausted and tired when she comes home, there`s never time for a playdate after school and she only sees her friends on the weekends to play.

They do most their learning in the mornings anyway and the afternoons is only lunch, another recess, "resttime" where they watch a movie and coloring. I would have been more happier with a halfday Kindergarten - and I dont think your son will be bored
Old 05-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My DD went to Kindergarten in Texas. They also had only half day K classes. Some children went in the a.m. while others went in the afternoons. To me, that was the norm. I never questioned it as I also only went a half day.

However, oldest DS started K in Georgia. They went full days. At first, I was worried about that being too much on him since DD only went a half day.

We moved here to Lousisiana while DS # 1 was still in K. They also go full days here....even Pre-K !! (they do have "nap time" for 45 minutes)

So, DD went to K in a half day program while both DS went full days.

I definitely like the full days better......and not just because it gave me a longer break from the two DS!

I think both of the two DS were better prepared for 1st grade. And, since they were already used to going to school all day, there were fewer adjustments......like missing nap time!

Also, DD had more "at home work" in K than the two DS ever did!
Old 05-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

hi, I work at a school where the k program is only 1/2 days....when the children come out of the program after their one year, the majority of them are reading simple sentences! They do an incredible amount with the children and I was very impressed when our children attended. They seemed to learn a lot and in the process enjoy their time there.....I loved the 1/2 day as it gave me time with my little one in the afternoons. Of course, I was a sahm at the time and I enjoyed my time at home....
Old 05-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

For everyone that attended the 1/2 day sessions, are we talking around the same hours as above?

Thanks for all of the opinions too!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 05-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hey Tami!

Just wondering, if he's going to be 6 shortly after starting school, why isn't he going into Grade 1? Here, Kindergarten is for 5 year olds basically, the cutoff date to attend is the end of December, if you turn 5 after that, then you have to wait another year. May be just the difference in our countries/cities, but was wondering.

Hugs, Jacquie
Old 05-03-2003, 11:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

the K program I am talking about went from 9 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. each day....
Old 05-03-2003, 11:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My son was exceptional in that he could read very well before entering kindergarten.. it was at a time when Sesame Street started.....he was 2.. and was reading the newspaper to my Father when he was 4 1/2..... I decided to put him in a private kindergarten... the student ratio was 1 teacher to 7 children and there was 1 aid per 7 children.

He went from 8 in the morning to 1Pm.... He would read to the other kids......This program taught quite a bit ....and he really loved it. It wasn't cheap!.....this was in....1973....and the cost per month with transportation was $135 per week.
At that time they also had a full day program. I started with the half day and wanted to see how it went. After talking with the teachers and headmaster....they said to leave it at half a day.
This was an honest school........They could have hooked me for more money.....

That was a lot of money. But I always say you get what you pay for. I love private schools in the early years. This is a developmental time, and I'd rather pay well here, giving a good foundation.

Fortunately, he continued to excell, winning scholarships to MIT and Stanford. I worked to be able to keep him in private schools.... it paid off in my case.

Early on we read books and we went on vacations that were fun as well as educational. We did day trips to historical places, we went to symphonies and plays....... we went to movies too.
He was exposed to as much of the cultural aspects of education as possible.

If I were young and had children going to school I'd do it all the same way again, no matter the sacrifice. I made lots of sacrifices to be able to do this. I did it on my own. When I remarried, I did the same with my husband's son, and it was working well, until his mother, who was non-custodial, interfered. *shakes head* But that's another story for another time...

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."

Last edited by Jeannie; 05-03-2003 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Jeannie, Thats a wonderful story about your son. I can certainly understand about the "ex" too as I have 2 step children that I dont get to see at all even though we have partial custody....BUT....that another story..like you said.

Hi Jacquie! The cut-off date here is a little earlier...it is somewhere around Aug or Sept. His birthday isnt until Oct. 27 so he missed it. They used to have it set up that he couldve been tested last year and if he passed, he couldve started early but they dont do that around here anymore.

Im not saying that he is too smart for these classes. AFter reading over what I wrote, I think it couldve been perceived that way. He is very outgoing and I believe that he is more than ready for kindergarten. He is a very high energy kid and Im a little worried that he wont settle down for the short amount of time that he is there. Im probably over-reacting. Since I have been been a SAHM with him since he was born, he hasnt spent a lot time around other kids and really think this time will be a positive time for him getting used to being with kids. I must say, he is really, really looking forward to going to school!!

I still cant believe my baby is going to school!! He has become my buddy, my helper and the little man of the house when his dad isnt here. *** ***

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 05-03-2003, 12:37 PM
kellyandkids

If you find that the kindergarten doesn't meet his needs -- if he gets bored or becomes disruptive, keep him home. Kindergarten is not legally required in most states. Of course they won't tell you that because they want the money he represents. And they always think that being trained professionals means they know about your kids's needs than you do. So avoid negative feelings about school on his part, labels from teachers and all the drugs that seem so popular.

If you have any problem pulling him out seek out your local or state homeschooling group. They know they limits of the laws. He's your kid. You decide.

If it really comes to that and private school is to much, homeschool him for a year or two. Getting him off to a good start is the most important thing. And first and second grade aren't that hard to do. Math and phonics. A little handwriting and lot of reading together. Look for the Five In A Row study guides from homeschooling friends. Oh, there's a website you can search for also.