Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 04-30-2003, 01:46 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

2 year old afraid of bugs

My daughter - who's just turning 2 - is afraid of bugs. Not just a little afraid...very afraid.

When she sees a black spot on the floor or the wall, she stands petrified, screaming and shaking. I have a hard time convincing her that nails and black spots arent' bugs. I've even started to wonder if she needs glasses. If she sees a hair or speck of dirt in the bathtub (occurs frequently as dirt washes off of her feet from playing outside), she'll scream and climb out of the tub to escape. In Sunday school, she started yelling "Bug! Bug!" and all of the other kids started to scream too.

I read the other post on fear, but does anyone have concrete suggestions about bugs?

Terri

"I Wish I'd Asked My Doctor..."
http://www.crosshome.com/iwishidasked6.shtml
Old 04-30-2003, 02:00 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

oh boy does this sound familiar!!!

except mine is a 3 yr old boy!!! he is totally freaked about bugs!!! I guess I made the mistake about telling him that when there is a mosquito on him that he should smack it cause they bite.
well now he freaks at every little thing he sees....

I just try to tell him that the bugs wont hurt him and too see how much bigger he is than the bug and if he doesnt like it to just squish it....

You would think a 3 yr old BOY would be enthralled with bugs..... oy vey.....

I could use some Ideas too
Old 04-30-2003, 02:30 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

It must be this generation of kids, my 3 yo daughter is the same way!!! Screams and yells, about bugs, especially house flys. If one lands on her she needs to go wash, if it lands on her clothing she needs to go change them!!!!

I hope it is a passing phase, and she will eventually realize that they are just bugs, and squash them!!!

I could also use some suggestions!!!!

Karen
Old 04-30-2003, 05:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think it's just a phase

Hi everyone... I'm not an expert on this but I think it's just a phase. My daughter, now 14yrs., was the same way with flies. She really freaked out if one just flew by her. I found that the more attention I gave her about it the more she freaked out. At the beginning I just assured her that it wouldn't hurt her ...eventually the problem was solved and she actually became a "Tom Boy" and was digging in the dirt. It took a couple years, though. Have patience! Good Luck! Debbie
Old 04-30-2003, 05:53 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh, my DD that is afraid of the flies, also digs in the dirt, she will even pick of worms!!! But if it is a bug she freaks.

Tonight I was at the dollar store and they had this little bug kit...it has a little net to catch them, a tweezers, and a container to put them in with a magnifying glass. So, I hope to catch one and put it in there and investigate it, and hope this changes her. We tried to catch one tonight but they were too small, and she was even trying to catch themwith the net!!!! So it is a start!!! But doesn't it figure when I am looking for a bug I can't find one!!! Probably tomorrow when the bug catcher is not near me I will see a lot of bugs!!!

I will let you all know if it works!!!

Karen
Old 05-03-2003, 10:09 AM
missmouse

You could try finding story books about insects. Maybe if they see bugs in a different light it would help. You know something like "Oh,look that's just like the one in the story isn't that neat. Do you think it could really do what the one in the story did?" Anything to get them thinking and not just reacting. Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm glad I'm not the only one. My dd played with bugs, studied them, touched them all last year, and this year, at almost four, she gets hysterical about them! Screams, cries and carries on. She doesn't leave the porch half the time or runs as fast as she can to sit on her swing and then studies the grass for movement while she's swinging. If I can get her attention focused on me, I let her know that she's safe, that it's nothing and bugs don't want to have anything to do with her. I'm not even going to get into mosquitoes with her. I don't know what to do with her. We were at my ds's soccer practice yesterday and she saw a piece of grass blowing from a spider web from the bleachers and went into hysterics. It was quite embarrising and hard to keep my cool when I wanted to cover her mouth and die of embarrasement! She's starting to give her little sister, just 2 fears of bugs where there wasn't any, so I'd like to nip this in the bud as soon as I can. If I could only find something that works!

She just started a few weeks ago being afraid of everything! The dark, going into the bathroom by herself to go (which she's been doing for a year (with wiping help)), going into her room to get a toy, throwing out a tissue in the kitchen if no one's in there, etc. I don't know what to do! I'm definately going to keep following this thread to see if any one has any suggestions!

This is a phase I don't know if I can live through!

Jen

Old 05-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking Bugs

I was the same way as a kid but eventually got over it. I even kill my own spiders now provided they're not too big. I have 5 kids and some were freakers and some were cool with bugs. My suggestion is this: Gummy worms, gummy bugs, plastic toy bugs. You might even make a dirt cake and decorate it with plastic bugs. Let her help, of course. I thought the suggestions about the books were good. I think it's Eric Carle that has written all the interactive children's books that feature bugs and worms. One is the sweetest book about a grasshopper and the book chirps as you read it. There is also one about a spider, a butterfly and a worm that is eating it's way through an apple all through the book. Also you could rent the movie "A Bug's Life". There are tons of bugs (the ladybug is actually a guy; it's hilarious) and they're all cute and cuddly. Good luck, hon. My baby is 11 now and the main thing I can tell you is that "this too will pass". I was still pretty weirded out by spiders when I first married 23 years ago. My husband worked in a business he owned with his family right next door to our house. I was always calling him to come home and kill my spiders and one day he said: "Noelle, the honeymoon's over. Kill your own darned spider." I spent a couple of years vacuuming them up before I got brave enough to dispatch them myself but I'm pretty big and brave now.
Have a good weekend.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

my grandaughter had the same problem. the solution was to put her in control. i would give her a fly swatter, a shoe or whatever suited the moment and have her tell the "buggie to go away"and hit the buggie. i told her she had to tell the buggie to go away, hit the buggie and it would go away.now that may sound violent but, the purpose was that she was in control and no to be afraid of the buggie. it didn't take long before she would tell me she saw a buggie and she would go get "her weapon " of choice and go after the buggie.soon it became a game, she would see a bug, go get her "weapon", get the buggie and be very proud she got the buggie. the purpose was to put her in ocntrol. children are afrain when they are no in control and understand the situation. little buggie, big person. hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I almost had the same problem with my 2 y.o. but I squished that idea as soon as it started. I was "a matter of fact about all of it" paying no attention to her being upset, bend down look at the bug and point out its feet, its head, its eyes etc. Sometimes I would pick it up with a piece of paper and put it outside and say bye bye bug. Then her father being masculine as he is taught her how to squish them but not how to clean up after herself LOL. I went to the dollar store and would buy a bag full of them in the party section and put them all over the house. I even got some that squirted water and put them in her bath tub. She now has no fear of bugs and feels in complete control. I tell her that bees sting and she stays away from them but is not afraid of them. I should mention, I did not ever allow my little one play with fake snakes, because I did not want her to get the impression that it was ok since we do have baby copper heads around here. I taught her to go get a grownup and run and she seems to have no fear about it either. I guess the conclusion is I have run into several situations where my little one has had fears that seem unfounded to me as an adult but I had to teach her how to get control of her situation. The key is being "matter of fact" about it and showing her different ways to gain control of her situation and praise that behavior. I have read in many books that by reacting to the child's upsetting behavior you teach the child how to act and so the next time they are in need of attention for whatever means they will duplicate it to get the attention and it soon becomes a cycle that is hard to break. Believe me it is hard to be matter of fact about some things but I have found it works in the long run. I have used this attiutude in fear of the dark, monsters, mommy leaving her with the babysitter etc.