Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 05-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Empowering the child over fears is great. My dd has been crazy about lots of fears lately, and yesterday in the church nursery a fly flew by. Well, she started to go nuts. We discussed it for a while about what flies like to eat and if she was that. (No.)Then we talked about what the fly did when he "saw" her. (She decided that he fly a different way.) Then we talked about why the fly did that. (Basically it came down to the fact that she was bigger and stronger than the fly and he flew away from her b/c he didn't want to get swatted.) The result was that she told dad and Gram's that she was more powerful than the fly and she made him fly away. It's a start anyway!

I was thinking that the dead worm on the driveway thing might be accomplished by bringing out the broom and trying to get her to sweep them away. Power over them without having to touch them.

My dh is afraid of bees, but they aren't out yet, so I don't know where all this came from. We've read books about bugs and some of her favorites are Ladybugs birthday (we told her they help roses grow, so she's okay wtih them now b/c she loves flowers) and Miss Spider's Tea Party (they eat the "garbage flies" and the "itchy mosquitoes) and The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which turn into butterflies (her room is full of them!)

She has an extremely vivid imagination, so I figured her fears come from the fact that she has a hard time always distinquishing btwn real and fantasy. I found a workbook on it for preschoolers and she wipped through it. I don't know if it helped her but it made me feel better!

I acknowledge her fears, but we try and get past them with talking and logic too.

Once I convinced her that extinct meant gone forever, she's back to playing dino's with her brother again. I just have to figure out the bug thing and the key to getiing her to see that they (most) aren't harmful!

Jen

Old 05-05-2003, 02:35 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have second thoughts....I think I don't mind that my daughter freaks out over bugs!!!! Yesterday, she was freaking out, I thought the dog bit her, went to check on her and she pointed to her arm and was yelling get it off, and crying of course. Here it was a tick, of course at her age she cannot tell one bug from teh next, so, maybe I will let this fear go on. If she would not be afraid of bugs, she could have just left it on herself, or just flicked it off of her to get on someone else or the dog....maybe I do not mind this freaking out over bugs after all!!!!

Karen
Old 05-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky fear of bugs

Well, you may be right. It kind of goes along with that old saying: "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean no one is after me." Like I said before. Eventually she'll be okay with bugs. It may have taken me 20 years but I'm fine now. And if the worst thing she's afraid of us bugs then she'll be fine. Good luck to her and you. It'll be somewhat trying at times but you guys are doing great.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

If nothing else, motherhood will curtail her fears b/c the motherly instinct to protect is stronger than the fear of bugs!

I've battled Daddy-Long-legs (I know they aren't fearce but I had two fall in my hair when picking up towels that were over the fence at my aunt's and they crawled down to my face) and silver fish (Yuck! They are fast little suckers!), worms, spiders, bees (which I'm allergic to) and more b/c of my kids! I can't say I was ever really fearful of them, but definately avoided Daddy-Long-Legs and Silver Fish. Now they aren't so bad!

Jen