Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 06-08-2002, 06:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just make sure to watch that they are making the letters properly! Voice of experience here, ds had to unlearn some wrong techniques! His letters looked great, but he did them wrong.

The hardest one to undo was making the vertical lines from the bottom up. Luckily, he is into neatness, and he learned that by doing them correctly he had a neater paper.

Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2002, 07:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just wanted to add that my daughter is starting kindergarten this fall. I had asked one of the teachers what she needed to know before starting. She said nothing at all. She said to make sure to read to her everyday for a litte bit. That was the most important thing, even the principal mentioned it in his speech. She also added it helped to be able to write there name because they do that a lot. That was it! I put her in a kindergarten readiness (sp?) class the school offers & so far they've been doing very simple projects. The majority seem to be coloring, cutting & glueing. She also said to not stress the issue. If you try and push to hard then they don't want to learn at all.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

robsctrymom.......

http://home.attbi.com/~hoh/4skills.htm

Who are these kids, mine must be way behind......and she is ahead of alot of her friends...so we must have alot of slow kids on our hands.
She can count to 10 and i thought that was great, hasnt grasped her alphabet yet, but we are working on it....She turned 4 in April and she hasnt even finished the 3 year list.........she can do everything except count to 50 or recognize numbers....but she is starting.......
I dont mean to be snippy but, These guidlines are unrealistic, but that is my opinion......

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE
Old 09-25-2002, 09:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Suggestions on skipping a grade?

Has anyone had their children tested to skip a grade?

My son turned four this past May and will be starting kindergarten next year when he turns five. He is already reading early reader books (up to 84 words out of a book on his own) (define reading: he is not sounding words out; he just says the word.) He is past the preschool cirricullum level, so we are giving him Kindergarten level workbooks at home, and he loves his schoolwork and crafttime (definately not forcing him.)

I don't really want him to lose out on the social aspect of going to school with kids his own age (on the other hand, he does have about four friends his age that he plays with regularly).

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how I can keep my son challenged during school. He will be my first child in the school system next year, so I really don't have any experience with the schools. I can't afford a private school (I have three other children) and want to provide them all with equal opportunities. I'm not sure how Magnet schools work or what other options are out there. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2002, 11:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky GUIDELINES

Quote:
Originally posted by emajmom
http://home.attbi.com/~hoh/4skills.htm

I dont mean to be snippy but, These guidlines are unrealistic, but that is my opinion......
First thing to remember is that these are merely guidelines. I only use them for things to look forward to. March was a long time ago in my child's achievements. I let him learn in an "unschooling" type of way. He is with us everyday while we are working, etc. He learns a heap from stirring the eggs to reading the funnies with dad. He is now 4 and recognizing words and starting to add...2 & 2 = 4.

Second thing is that ALL children are different! I believe when they get to kindergarten most everything will even out. As long as it's fun to learn they will! This is my only child so I have no experience. I'm just going with my gut & research I have done.

My motto is take time with them....libraries, museums, concerts, fairs, zoos, conservatories, nature walks, fishing, etc. etc. Reading is VERY important. I see some schools are now using newspapers for reading, current events and local customs all in the same stroke. Of course, this is further up in grade school.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My son just turned four and I'm not worried. Look how much our kids have learned in just their first four years! (Holding head up, rolling over, walking, jumping, talking, feeding self with fingers, then forks. . . .)

Mommabear, I think you have a particularly bright four year old (and a very obedient one). That notebook idea sounds great and I'd love to do something like that but mine destroys everything he comes across (he either takes it apart, or cuts it up, or glues it together etc but it never stays in one place or one piece). It sounds as if you would be wise to get him challenged in school early and quickly (if he is socially developed enough as well). We have a very bright son (who is now 17) who just hasn't been challenged consistently enough and may not graduate because he is bored and doesn't do the work anymore. He will pass the GED with flying colors and will score high on the ACT and SAT when he takes them. He is doing physics in school and doing well but if you look at his grade card it will tell you he hasn't even passed Algebra I.

Having not come from a teaching background, nor having had to deal with someone so bright (the brains come from my husband's side of the family) I did not know how to deal with him. His behavior caused so much trouble (as he was/is socially immature) that the school (and us) concentrated more on the behavior than on the academics. That is why is used the phrase "challenged consistently" in the previous paragraph. Our school district had some gifted programs, but not enough. So much of his time in school was boring beyond belief.

Best of luck to you in your education of your little one. You are smart to be investigating things now. If I had to do it over, I would have homeschooled our 17 year old as intimidating as that sounds to me. Their little minds are so amazing. Good to see you nurturing yours.

The rest of the four year olds will and are just fine. Everyone is different. My four year old can count to seven before he gets confused. He knows his colors. Speaks brillantly using adjectives and adverbs in the proper places and words that I don't even think he should know the meaning of but he does. He can't write his name or his ABC's but he recognizes his name and some of the alphabet. All in good time. All in good time.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:20 PM

Mommabear, is your son socially mature? I would really think long and hard before deciding to skip a grade. Especially with boys, who usually have such poor social (and sometimes communication) skills.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Re: Suggestions on skipping a grade?

Quote:
Originally posted by mommabear
Has anyone had their children tested to skip a grade?......... I'm not sure how Magnet schools work or what other options are out there. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Personally, I think it's too soon for you to try to skip a grade. The educators say it effects the children when they get to middle school. There are however, many schools that have accelerated programs for those great little achievers. I would look into those and by all means...this is just an opinion....you are his mother and know what is best!
Old 09-26-2002, 10:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

thank you

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on skipping a grade. I especially appreciate Juliecc sharing her experiences about her son. That is really one of my fears & maybe I'm worrying about things that may never happen. Robscry & rainquit, thank you for your thoughts too. My first choice is not to skip a grade. I definately don't want my son to grow up too fast. He is a very normal four year old and socially enjoys his friends. Thank you both for your opinions. I'm actually looking for alternatives.

My son has been in preschool and in organized classes of one or another kind, so he is very acclaimated socially. He is not a "bookworm" or withdrawn child, he just loves to read. I'm actually taking cues from him when providing him with more challenging activities. He loves it, otherwise he starts to pick on his siblings out of boredom.

He is also on his second year of piano. His teacher doesn't take students until they are five years old, but he was advanced at almost 3 that she made an exception. He knows how to read music and plays by reading the music, granted he plays piano like a four year old; but he reads it perfectly.

One of my thoughts is that maybe instead of skipping a class, perhaps providing him with challenging activities away from school as an option. I will definately check into the accelerated programs at school.

Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2002, 05:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have been doing Daycare for 15 years now. I came across this post by accident. But I felt I had to respond.

First, let me say that ALL kids develop at their own rates. Second, most children that excel in the academic development usually don't develop as quickly w/ their motor skills. And it's just the opposite if they excel in the motor skills then they are usually lagging (not lacking) in the academic development. They are usually just more proficient in one area or the other at this young stage. Don't worry - they all meet at the same place!

My best advice is 1. READ, READ, READ to them. This is most important- and let them READ to YOU! You wouldn't believe how this helps them later on. And what they actuallly can learn just by doing this. 2. Make sure to give them crayons to start ( the chunky ones are the best), coloring books w/ simple lines are good too. But make sure that you balance that w/ PLAIN paper! Let him draw/color whatever he likes- even just scribbles. Talk to him about his pictures- ask HIM to TELL YOU about his picture. (To avoid assuming its one thing - only to hurt his feelings!) Plain paper is important b/c it is open ended art. Allowing him to do this will help develop his fine motor skills- like how to hold a crayon in his hand. Be prepared - he may not hold it right at first- but he will get it. He will figure out what is comfortable for him. Resist guiding him-just praise him. When he gets pretty good w/crayons - then move on to the pencil (again chunky)and let him draw at first. When he is READY - you can start w/ his name. Write it in thick dark magic marker and let him run his fingers over the letters, then the crayons, then the pencil. When he masters that move on to dashes, and follow the same pattern again (fingers, crayons, pencil) and then move on to dotted lines, or dots. At this point I write part of the name and let him finish it. (EX> ANDY-- AND_ AN__ A___)

Sorry this is so long - but after 15 yrs in this business - it just bothers me that everyone seems to put so much pressure on these little people. It's bad enough they don't have as much of a childhood as we did when we were little. So many things that we took for granted have just been taken away from them. Let them be little - let them enjoy it and enjoy them right back! It goes so fast.... and they are going to get 12 years of schooling whether they want it or not.

wombat