behavior management - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

There have been so many great suggestions already .... but I just want to add that we swear by the "Love and Logic" method. If you are not familiar with it, you can see the L&L site at www.loveandlogic.com. The best way to get a quick overview is to follow the link on their site to "Articles" and then, under "General Articles", choose the very last one: "Parenting with Love and Logic." Great, great stuff!!

I also am reading a new book by Sal Severe titled "How To Behave So Your PreSchooler Will Too" and it's really helpful.

This book and the Love and Logic ones too are available at most public libraries. If your library doesn't have it, it can get it for you.

Good luck!!

~Leslie
Old 11-15-2002, 11:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

He might have some sensory issues as well. Just recently I have learned quite a bit about sensory issues through an occupational therapist. You would REALLY be surprised at all that could be going on with your child that you might think is behavioral...and it might just be that he can't take everything in the way typical kids do. It's really worth looking into. I've met a lot of parents that have changed the way they 'discipline' their child because now they know that they aren't just being 'bad'. Your school system should be able to have him looked at for free....
Old 11-16-2002, 03:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You know, I've been wondering about that very thing. I have been taking him to a LCSW and clinical psycologist, she said that there was an extreme impulsive disorder (which I had no idea that there was one that existed) and an extremely short attention span.
My daughter had an ADHD diagnosis in Kindergarten, but it wasn't anything like this. One thime at the pediatrician's office, the doctor asked if Jonah was hyper too. I was surprised because he'd just walked in. He told me that he remembered that we'd had Samantha on medicine for years. I just had to laugh as I told him that my daughter was the " CALM BEFORE THE STORM'. He thought that was pretty funny too.
So, right now, we're in the process of testing. I've had the initial test done with the special ed dept, and now am about to have a speech and language test done.
Does any one know about impulsive disorders? Thank you all so much. I'm printing all this out so I can study it.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I know it's been awhile since anyone has posted here, but I hope someone reads this. I have had similar behavior issues with my just-turned-4 #2 son--becoming totally unreasonable, having a total meltdown, where I am unable to talk him, soothe him or cajole him out of it. Afterward, he is just spent. It only happens rarely, but when it happens, it's really an unpleasant scene. Our whole morning consisted of nothing but dealing with this kind of behavior this morning. When I finally put him on time-out to try to regain some control, he began laughing (!).

He is an otherwise sweet, intelligent enjoyable child, albeit strong willed and independent (like the rest of our family). I do think that hi behavior is significantly influenced by hunger and fatigue--although one cannot always totally control these things.
I have always believed that schedules are good for kids and have tried to adhere to ours, with some exceptions, since I also believe that it is very necessary to learn to deal with change also.

I fear that our society is very quick to label children these days with every and any disorder imaginable, when sometimes it may just be personality differences or behavior management at work.

Any other ideas?
Old 02-25-2003, 10:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

It has been a while since anyone has posted here! Rivermom, you might want to look into sensory integration disorder. It's not a bad thing...it's something that occupational therapy can help with if your son is affected. If you need more info I would be happy to give you some websites that have helped me out a lot. My daughter had these and our lives have totally changed now that she has had some therapy. You sound like you have it in control-hope I'm not interfering. Take care!
Old 02-26-2003, 05:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Taximom-Thanks for the reply! Is your daughter school-aged? I am feeling that I don't want to jump on something that may be somewhat (or totally) developmental. If he were to exhibit these tendencies in a structured environment such as school--I would definitely explore assessing this further.

I agree that the causes of this behavior may be sensory integration type issues--that I hope he can/will learn to cope with.

I try to balance things with my own situation--sometimes feeling totally overwhelmed myself!!

I appreciate the thought and the input--leave it to me to post to a thread that is old!!

Old 03-16-2003, 07:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello there rivermom! I have a great website for you in case you haven't had a chance to look into this on the web.

http://www.apraxia-kids.org/topics/s...tegration.html and

http://www.mindspring.com/~mariep/si/toc.html and

http://home.earthlink.net/~sensoryint/faq.html and

http://www.out-of-sync-child.com/

Aren't I a pain! I am really so convinced that a lot of kids have this type of 'disorder' and a lot of parents are befuddled and try to contain the child w/harsh disciplinary actions. It doesn't help that every child has different sensory issues-it's all very confusing. Like our daughter LOVES to spin and be dizzy, loves it when people are around and things are loud. My nephew totally freaks out if spun around or if he's at the mall or someplace loud. The good thing is that there are evaluations you can fill out and a good occupational therapist can then identify what's going on with your child. It really isn't a bad thing, and I have learned quite a few things to do at home. My daughter's therapy has really helped her (and us) a lot. She only goes 1/week (thanks to insurance), but she doesn't have a severe case.

My daughter is 3 so she's technically pre-school age I guess. She is still being genetically tested to determine what isn't right w/her. We believe it's something called Angelman's Syndrome. Her sensory issues are really small compared to what else she's going to have to overcome.

Well, hope this helps a little. Take care!
Old 03-18-2003, 04:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks for all the reference sites taximom! I appreciate your time in sharing them! I will definitely check them out--good luck to you and yours---

rivermom
Old 02-23-2004, 10:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re: behavior management

Quote:
Originally posted by angelia
I have a 16 year old daughter, and a 4 year old son. I have yet to ever have to leavea store because my daughte. Even as a toddler, she never screamed for anything.
My son is just the opposite. I had to carry hin out of K-Mart about 3 weeks ago, kicking and screaming, because I wouldn't buy him a sword from the Halloween dept. People in checkout lines were turning to look. I could have crawled out!
He has been having problems with his temper at daycare so bad that they asked me to take him out. I am in the process of taking him to a clinical psycologist that treats children under 6, but we're still in the process of elimination of what the problem could be.
In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions for discipline and/or behavior modification?
I have tanned his bottom-this a far cry from beating him- but this just seems to provoke him into louder tantrums. At home, I can restrain him as the LCSW showed me, but this is something that can't be done in K-mart or Wal-mart.
Most of the time, he is a very loving boy. But when he doesn't get his way, the tantrums start and quickly escalate. Please offer your sucessful methods!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

behavior modification

You should check with your pediatrician to rule out medical reasons for his behavior.

Behaviors are communicative so focus on what he is trying to communicate, and DO NOT give it to him when he misbehaves. If you respond and give him what he wants he will do the behavior again and again. Once you figure out what he wants (to leave, to be alone, cuddles with you, food or treats, toys, attention) teach him two or three ways to ask for it appropriately.

Keep in mind his maturity and frustration level when working with him on communication. Stand firm when he misbehaves "I will not talk to you when you scream like that" and walk away. He will quickly learn to stop screaming if he doesn't want you to walk away.

Focus on the positive. Every time he communicates politely and appropriately reward and praise him for it. "That's so nice of you to ask that way! Certainly you can have ___!" or "That was nice of you to tell me politely you want to be alone. I'll be in the other room if you need me."

Determine what the motivation behind the behavior is and teach him acceptable and polite ways to ask for it.

Good luck.
Dianne