Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 09-08-2002, 06:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you to everyone who replied. I found all the posts to be very helpful tome. I know I have not been limiting TV/Video time with my children enough and I know as the weather gets colder and they have to stay inside more it could prove to be a big challenge if my husband and I don't come up with a system that will work for us all.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

I homeschool my children so the tv is always tempting them. They used to get carried away with how much they wanted to watch. We had to put even more restrictions on the tube. They are only allowed to play Playstation and watch "whatever tv" on the weekends. They are permitted to watch anything they know they're allowed to watch on those days. However, during the week, only educational shows, videos or whatever. They can play most computer games during the week also. But games like Sonic or any other "mindless" game is saved for the weekend.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle TV time...

Hi JK. We have a rule in our house for our almost 6 year old kindergardener that would watch TV all day if we let her. 1 hour in the morning, 1 hour in the afternoon, and 1 hour in the evening. Sometime in the evening if we watch a movie as a family or something, it ends up being longer than an hour but that is ok because it's family time. She knows that when her hour is off she is to turn off the TV and find something to do. Now we only let her watch Nickolodeon, PBS, Disney and Animal Planet or Discovery. So that she is watching something appropriate for her age.

The computer is different in the amount of time that she is allowed. Usually she is only on the computer once during the day and she is usually doing her CD ROM of Reader Rabbit or playing games on one of her many favorite web sites.

It's hard to limit TV time because sometimes it's just easier to plop her down in front of it and go and do what I have to do but I have learned to teach her that there are other things that can be fun other than sitting in front of the "dumb box" , as my husband calls it.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have 2 kids old enough to play video games--ages 10 and 6. (I'm sure they will put a controller in the baby's hands any day now, though)! Right now they are limited to their "screen time." This means non-school-related computer time, video games and TV/video watching. Each of them has 4 popsicles sticks attached to magnets on the fridge. Ome stick is worth 1/2 hour. When they play or watch, we move them to another part of the fridge. When they are all moved. screen time is over.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

TV/Video Game Limits

Studies have actually shown that if a child watches more than an hour of TV a day, there is a corresponding drop in IQ scores. What surprised the experts the most was that it didn't matter if the program was educational or strictly for fun, like cartoons. While you may be able to let them watch more if it is an interactive game, the games can worsen short attention spans and hyperactive behavior (believe me, I speak from experience). Our solution was to only have one TV in the house in the family room (we also don't want to send a message that watching a box is more important that interacting w/people. We limit their TV or computer game time to 30 min/day, however, if they choose to do an educational game, then we give them an hour of game time. That way it encourages them towards good games, and automatically limits the exposure to pointless stuff. I'm sure you don't want your child to turn into one of these kids who can sit forever in front of a screen, fingers twitching, and ignoring living people right next to them. It should be an amusement, not a habit.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have two daughters, ages 11 and 14. For several years now they have not been allowed to watch tv at all on school nights. Weekends are somewhat more lenient, but I do not allow them to vegetate in front of the screen.

During the summer, they must earn their tv time by reading. For every half hour of reading they may watch one half hour of tv, or they can accumulate time for a movie.

They have turned into avid readers, and they also get outside for fresh air, exercise, and playing together.

Some people think they could not get their children to go along with this, but they really do adapt quickly.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Michaela,
I agree totally with your post!

Unfortunately, I think my husband has caught that bug you were referring to! LOL I have to make quite a fuss to get his attention sometimes!

Colleen
Old 09-13-2002, 08:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Video Games

I have 4 kiddos, 3 boys ages 10, 9 and 9, and one girl age 8. The boys love video games. In order to regulate some of their playing, they can play during the week as long as their homework is done, but they have to time themselves while they play (they can't go over an hour) and they must read for the same amount of time. On Saturday, they can have a free day as long as they have read at least 2 hours during the week (whether or not they played that long) and play as long as they want. I find that by the end of the day on Saturday, they are sick and tired of playing and usually they end up outside or playing with Legos or something I like a lot better. Also, they are reading more and I like that too. My daughter doesn't play many video games and sometimes will get on the computer to play games, but I don't enforce timing her very much because she reads often on her own.

This works very well for our family and I know this because the boys hate it!!
Good luck!!!
Old 09-13-2002, 02:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

First of all, I do have children (6,8,11). Second of all, yes, they play computer games on occasion.

I also work up at the school and see plenty of kids whose only topic of converstation is what vid games they played last night or what was on TV. It simply amazes me to see these kids be able to stare at a monitor for who knows how long in the evening, and not be able to pay attenention for 10 minutes at school - I guess I'm not exciting or fast enough to be of any interest. These are the same kids, by the way, that can't run two laps around the gym - - and have never played a real board game in their life.

Let's just be reasonable and prudent on limiting our kids evening activities and please get the homework done first.