Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 02-02-2002, 05:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

One of each! :)

Hello,
I have one preschooler and one kindergartener. Both of which need to be driven to school as we are not on the bus route. We have a pretty good routine down now but, I can't believe how hectic September was compared to just having one in preschool last year 3 mornings. I'm curious how everyone else stays on top of things? I feel one step behind much of the time now. I volunteer in the Kindergarten classroom every other Monday and the preschool is a co-op which means I work about 1-2 times a month and have a job for the school at home. (I am cutter-outer mom Anyway, I'd love to hear how the rest of you stay on top of things. I'm a person that can get rather grouchy if I feel totally unorganized and out of control with things.

Rebecca
Old 02-02-2002, 07:03 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Rebecca,

My answer: LISTS!

I have four kids, two in school, one in preschool, and one at home, so I know what you mean!

I had to actually sit down and schedule out my day. There are so many things that have to get done that I just wasn't fitting them all in. Here's what I did:

On a piece of paper, write down all the things you do EVERY day. For example, drive kids to school, make breakfast, make beds, dinner, etc, etc.

Next write out a list of things you do on a weekly basis, such as bethroom cleaning, changing sheets, menu planning, etc.

Now write down anything you do on a monthly basis (make batches of master mix, make up meatballs, grocery shop, etc)

Then pencil out your day by times. If you get up at 6 am and have a cup of coffee and read your email, then that's the first thing that goes on your list. Here's how mine looks:

6:00 - 7:00 Coffee, email, feed pets
7:00 - 8:00 make breakfast, get kids off to school
8:00 - 9:00 make beds, clear up bedrooms, start laundry
9:00 - 11:30 workout, pick up T.J. from preschool, run errands
11:30 - 12:00 make lunch, make sack lunches for next day
12:00 - 12:30 work with puppy on training
12:30 - 2:30 do a "weekly" and a "monthly"
2:30 - 3:30 check email and message boards
3:30 - 4:30 help kids with homework
4:30 - 5:00 pick up and vacuum
5:00 - 6:00 dinner
6:00 - 7:00 eat and clean up
7:00 - 8:00 spend time with kids
8:00 - 8:30 read with kids
8:30 - 12:00 work on computer

I stay pretty true to this list on a Monday-Friday basis. The weekends are not structured at all. LOL But at least my week is under control and noone is walking over a laundry pile. ;-)

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-02-2002, 10:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

That's a good idea. I certainly was more scheduled at work - when I worked before kids. I guess I never thought of scheduling myself at home so well. I'll have to give it a try. My kindergartener needs to be dropped off and then picked up in a little over 3 hours so that keeps me moving in the morning knowing I'm on a limited time frame. Thanks for the suggestion!

Rebecca
Old 02-06-2002, 05:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Great schedule!

Amanda, I really like your daily breakdown! I have never thought to put my "days on paper" but am going to now!

Quote:
Originally posted by FamilyCorner

6:00 - 7:00 Coffee, email, feed pets
7:00 - 8:00 make breakfast, get kids off to school
8:00 - 9:00 make beds, clear up bedrooms, start laundry
9:00 - 11:30 workout, pick up T.J. from preschool, run errands
11:30 - 12:00 make lunch, make sack lunches for next day
12:00 - 12:30 work with puppy on training
12:30 - 2:30 do a "weekly" and a "monthly"
2:30 - 3:30 check email and message boards
3:30 - 4:30 help kids with homework
4:30 - 5:00 pick up and vacuum
5:00 - 6:00 dinner
6:00 - 7:00 eat and clean up
7:00 - 8:00 spend time with kids
8:00 - 8:30 read with kids
8:30 - 12:00 work on computer
Old 02-06-2002, 06:55 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Cindy! It really is amazing just how much it helps! Makes me accountable to myself!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-06-2002, 07:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Amanda I did the same thing for my youngest ds. He was always forgetting something so I made him a schedule for after school. His looks something like this:

3:30-3:45 Get the mail,Take the dogs outside, Have a snack

3:45-4:30 Homework

4:30-5:30 TV Time

5:30- 6:00 Supper

6:00-7:00 Chores

7:00-8:00 Playtime/Computer Time

8:00-9:00 Shower, Brush Teeth, Pickout Clothes, Pickup Room

9:00 Bedtime

It helps him not to forget to do homework and it helps him remember to turn off the tv after 1 hour. It works for us!