Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 01-28-2002, 09:27 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Pinkie Winky Starting a playgroup

I left a sign-up sheet at my son's preschool to see if any other moms were interested in having a playgroup. So far 11 moms have signed it! I'm of course thrilled, but would love to hear from anyone who has either successfully started a playgroup or is currently involved with one. Where, when, how, etc? Thanks!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 01-29-2002, 12:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We have had one since dd was born. I'm lucky where my friends and I had our kids around the same times, all but 1 is a sahm. We get together 2 afternoons a week for a couple hours, usually at my house where it's the biggest. The kids play games, play make crafts whatever. Us Mom's get to talk to other adults
When the weather is nice we'll meet at the playground or park. There is 8 kids 4 moms. If one of the moms can't make it the kids still come, no big deal, but not 1 mom and all 8 kids, has to be at least 2 mom's. If not it's too stressfull.
Enjoy the playgroup I'd be lost with out ours
Old 01-29-2002, 08:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

playgroup

I belong to a MOPS group, which meets once a month. We have organized playgroups every other week, such as meeting at a local park, the McDonalds play area, etc. Depending on where you live, there are several 'neutral' places to meet, so no one has to use their home. Sometimes churches will allow you to use their play areas as well. It's wonderful for the kids - and moms - and I'm excited to be involved in one. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2002, 01:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My Playgroup

Long time lurker...first time to post.

Good for you! I started a playgroup in my neighborhood too and it has been great. I passed out fliers in my neighborhood and had a number of moms reply. There is a core group of 4 moms that have stuck with it and we've invited others so our group is up to 5 moms and 7 kids. We meet once every two weeks for two hours. I hosted most of the early playgroups until the group settled in and the cold weather moved in. I then asked that we rotate the playgroup location. Ideas for other playgroup locations include your library if there is a kids play area, Chuckie cheese type play/restaurant, tour of fire/police station, mall play area, or ?? I also hosted a playgroup during the summer where a police office came out and did car seat inspections for our moms. Hopefully you will have as great experience as I have with my playgroup! :p
Old 09-09-2002, 05:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

In for fun

I am part of a small but growing playgroup with some of the ladys at my church. We meet at the church once a week and let the kids run amuk in the gym ( ) while we adults get to chat with another adult!!!! Then we have a snack and head up to the church nursery so the kids can fight over the toys while the moms (and occasionally dads) fight over the rocking chair

Be prepared for occasional fights but also occasional hilarity. Alsom with young kids (the oldest in ours is 3) it's kinda funny to see 6 moms at the same time grab their kids and sniff to see if it is their kid causing that offending smell

Have fun and enjoy the ride!!!

Amanda
Old 09-23-2002, 11:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Play group

I would love to start a play group in my area, however, I work during the day so the only time would either be in the evenings or on weekend. Has anyone been successful at having it in the evening or weekend?

Thanks!
Jennifer