Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Preschoolers & Kindergartners

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face fave preschooler books (3-5)

Would be interested in sharing our favourite books and learning what other moms are reading to their preschoolers. I've got a five year old daughter and two year old son who love books...so I'm constantly on the search for new favourites! Here's some of ours:

Some fave dinosaur books:
How do dinosaurs get well soon?
Saturday night at the dinosaur stomp

Some fave bear books:
Where's my teddy?
Bear snores on
We're going on a bear hunt

Some fave girl books:
The Balloon Tree
Jillian Jiggs
Paper Bag Princess
A Grain of Rice

We used to buy a lot of books but realized it was getting expensive, many weren't all that great, and the giant bookstores around here are overwhelming! So I'm at the library a LOT! I'm keeping a running list on a website to help other parents too, before the kids get older and I've forgotten everything!

Cheers,
chestnutsmom
Old 07-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi chestnutsmom, I am a Librarian and one of my responsibilities at our Library is doing Story Time for 3-5 yr olds. There are So Many great books for kids today and some great oldie but goodies too. Some of the things I look for when chosing a book for story time is nice illustrations, text that isn't too long for little listeners, content and fun.
Dinosaur and teddy bear books always seem to be popular. I also like books with little surprises----Sam's Sandwich by David Pelham is a fun book I used this summer when we had a bug theme.
I have a long list of books I like to read to kids. I will post some for my list when I get to work.
Great thread.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hooray for libraries!

Hi Joy, as you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of the library...and librarians! At our local library there are stickers on some books that say "Ready for Reading" and I find they're winners every time, like We're Going on a Bear Hunt...a fabulous book that gets my kids laughing out loud! If only life had such stickers as guideposts!

Look forward to your suggestions!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am glad you like the library and your librarians.
I work tomorrow so I will post some of my favorites then. I did check out your wesite and enjoyed seeing the books you had posted.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks

Thanks Joy, appreciate the feedback on our book list. I only write about books that have been enjoyed by our kids - we have bought a few that have won awards but don't really captivate...

Looking forward to seeing your list as well as others!

Cheers

Old 08-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello, My name's Martha & I'm a book-aholic. Particularly childrens books. I like libraries too. I just went to the half price sale at Good Will on Wednesday where I spent about $30 on books that were 50 cents or less. Ok, my son is 9 & reading bigger books, but I still love the picture books. I love Corduroy, Peter's Chair by Ezra Jack Keats, Coco's Surpise, I'll Love You Forever by Robert Munch, Books by Jez Albrourough about a Teddy Bear or Hugs, Cat & Mouse books by Tomez Bogacki (sp?) Owen, by Kevin Henkes, Underwear by ? Monsall. I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sorry I know I promised to share some books earlier, but something came up in my life and I got side tracked.
A couple of oldie but goodies that my kids loved to listen to when they were young---
Mike Mulligan and his Steamshovel by Virginia Burton
Make Way for Ducklings and Blueberries for Sal by Robert McClosky
Green Eggs and Ham and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss.
It always amazes me how often children can listen to the favorite stories. I know at one point in my life I probably could recite Mike Mulligan, because I had read it so often.

I will try to post some newer selections soon.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great stuff

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions...love to find fellow (ette) childrens book lovers! Some titles that aren't familiar to me so I'll definitely head out to the library soon.

As for Make Way for Ducklings, it was lovely to see the sculpture in honor of the book during our visit to Boston a few years back... a lovely tribute to a lovely book.

Cheers!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle

all time favs are still Dr Suess but the chart topper with all 5 of mine and more nieces and nephews is "A Fly Went By"! The rhyming and fast pace keeps them clamoring for more, more, more...
Old 09-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

My gd starts Kingergarten tomorrow. Two books that will be read tonight before she goes to sleep are, "On the Way to Kindergarten" Author, Virgina Kroll and Look Out Kidergarten, Here I Come," Author Nancy Carlson. Both are great books for starting school or getting ready for going to Kindergarten in the near future.

Q. Why do ghosts shiver and moan? A. It's drafty under that sheet.

Happy Halloween
Caroline