Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Preschoolers & Kindergartners

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Don't forget to teach these things....

Many Moms and Dads are so focused on teaching their soon-to-be kindergarteners how to count and say their ABCs, they forget so teach some everyday basics:

Practice getting dressed: button, snap and zipper pants and shirts so that bathroom trips are easier.

Teach them how to properly use toilet paper.

Teach them how to properly wash and dry their hands.

Practice zipping and buttoning coats, putting on hats and gloves...etc.

Practice loading and unloading their backpacks. Show them where all of the compartments are and how to use them.

and don't forget to teach them their parents' names, their address and phone number. They should also know who they can call as a back up if their parents aren't reachable.

Teach stranger danger, too!!!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 05-20-2009, 05:56 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

To teach your child their name, address and phone number, you can turn it into a song. I did that for my children and it was so easy. And if you asked them something like their street address, you could see them singing the song in their heads until they got to the street part.

Also, teach your children your first and last name incase of emergencies. So many young children think their parents first names are mom and dad.

~Mother Theresa

Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Really good tips.

I made up that list above when my dd was getting ready to start kindergarten this year. I can't believe that her year is coming to an end already. She's had a great year!

My dd's teacher taught the class these things by singing songs:

days of the week
months of the year
hello and goodbye
how to tie their shoes
ABCs
cleaning up

They are so cute when they sing these songs.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 09-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I couldn't agree more with you Tammy... Teaching children to tie their shoes or in the very least knowing how to "tie" anything is something children really lack these days.
I have a 1st grade niece and 2nd grade nephew who still require "adults" to tie their shoes for them. Not b/c their lazy, but b/c the parents stopped buying laced shoes for the children during the Kindergarten years...all of out older nieces and nephews know how to tie their shoes, ribbons, etc, just not these two. And worse yet their parents don't enforce the "tie" practice. Many people feel there isn't a real need for children to use this function in their lives for anything other than shoe tying - not realizing they are robbing their children of "fine motor skills" that is the ability to grasp objects which vary in size and shape, which in turn cause difficulties for these children to understand the use of pens / pencils/ crayons/ markers and the "strength" of use to not break them. This also hampers the child's ability to Jump Rope, Monkey bar, swing, rope climb, and proper utensils for eating. This doesn't mean to say children can't do these tasks, just that they have more difficulties in doing them.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Knowing how to tie shoes or at least knowing how to attempt it, was a requirement when my son started kindergarten. He received a check list of items that they were "required" to know - they didn't keep them from starting kindergarten but they were labeled as needing extra help. They also needed to know how to stand on one foot, walk backwards in a straight line, say their abcs, count to 10 and know their colors. I was shocked at how many students in his class didn't know any of these tasks. To me, these are just normal tasks that parents should be teaching their children!

My daughter didn't have a list like this but she could do all of the above and more way before she was 5, just like her brother. Her teacher worked on teaching the kids how to tie shows in class.

Why is it that some parents think that it's the teacher's job to teach these things? I just don't understand that frame of mind.

To this day my son hates tying his shoes - but at least he knows how to do it!

Yes, I remember quite well when I would hear many parents say that they were so happy to buy shoes that didn't have laces in them so that they didn't have to worry about it ---and they still have the same attitudes today, only on different subjects with their kids.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 09-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Shoe tying is becoming a lost art in young children. I have had first graders and second graders in my daycare not knowing how to tie their shoes because they wore velcro shoes. Many of the parents "didn't have time" to constantly tie their shoes for them which also must have meant they didn't have time to teach them to do it for themselves. I made sure my children could tie their shoes, zip their own coats, zip and button their own pants etc. because I told them a teacher would have 20-25 other students in the class and might not have time to help them.

~Mother Theresa

Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I know what you're talking about Sammi. I have been to my grandchildren's elementary schools and saw so many children running around with laces untied. Some of them will ask a classmate to tie them...and I mean up to second grade children! I remember my son's pre-K having little boards with laces to teach them shaped like big shoes. The kids could squat and place this "shoe" between their knees and tie the laces. They had the feel of leaning over like they were on their feet. They began this in the three and four year old class and not all, but a large amount of the children were tying their own shoes before kindergarten even began. It sure would make a teachers job much easier if they all could master that and as you mentioned zipping everything

Unknown
Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Chadsmom, that is such a great idea! Even if they didn't start using a board like that until Kindergarten the kids could learn to tie their shoes before first grade. I wish more pre-schools and kindergartens used things like that

~Mother Theresa

Old 11-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well, at this pre-school they did awesome and it sure would help a lot of classrooms...of course my son will graduate this upcoming June, but what he learned there I feel like gave his elementary teachers a very good chance to work with some of the other children. He was only able to go three days a week as that was all we could afford with me not working, but my husband always said it was the best money he ever spent

Unknown
Old 11-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Chadsmom, my children only went to preschool 3 days a week as well. My dd went to a terrible preschool and I ended up pulling her out. They interviewed well but what they said they did was nothing like what actually went on. I ended up pulling her out half way through the year. My ds1 went to a wonderful preschool but it closed before ds2 was ready to go so ds2 went to a Montessouri pre school which was also awesome. I was a sahm and though I did daycare, I felt my children needed to experience time away from me before starting school full time. My advice to anyone who wants to send their children to pre-school is to get recommendations first and then after your child starts, do some unannounced visits. I wish I had done that sooner with my dd so I could have changed pre-schools for her.

~Mother Theresa