Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Preschoolers & Kindergartners

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 02-23-2007, 01:27 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kindergarten Math

Just curious as to what kind of math program other kindergarteners work on or even home-school kindergartners.

My ds program is called Everyday Mathematics At Home from The University of Chicago School Mathematics Project. It does make math fun for them well at least my son, we just started book 2 of 3. Here are some examples:

Numbers All Around
Take a walk around your house looking for numbers. Where did you find the most? In your bedroom? In the kitchen? Where else did you find numbers.

Counting
Counting by 2. Be on the lookout for things around the house that come in pairs (socks,shoes,mittens and boots IE) You can count the pairs by twos.

Estimating and Sorting
Together, plan dinner menus for the coming week. Encourage discussion about the choices and about how much of certain foods will be needed.

Measures: Weight
You'll find lots of opportunities for math at the grocery store. Choose several apples in the produce section and guess about how much they weigh. Then weigh them to check.

Measures: Volume

Try measuring about a 1/2 cup of water and each of you try to brush your teeth using only that amount. Do you need more water? Could you brush your teeth with less?

Please do share yours!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Luke likes to count items as I put them on the checkout counter in the store. We check his total against the receipt, since there is a place for "total items."
Old 03-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I loved the Math U See series. I still have my books and blocks too. Hate to realized that my kidos are way to big for this now.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My kids love math, (now 12 and 16 so pre shcool was a while ago) one is quite good, we look at the digital clock and see how many more numers make the 60, add, minus. The analog clock is a good one to for numers up to 12.
Putting groceries away counting tins or jars. Counting cutlery, knives out on the table, forks, if ? is away how many of each then.
Socks and undies to each draw when folding.
I've always thought that it's the every day stuff (that you sneak educational things into) is the best way to learn, because it's more fun and not a "have to" thing.