Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 08-17-2005, 05:42 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Let me start off with saying that she starts kindergarten on Aug 29th!!

The testing went well. She really surprised me and went right with the "teachers" for the testing, with a smile on her face!! I am just hoping she goes off to kindergarten that well. She is now getting nervous!

She did get marked down for not knowing two things. One was using a scissors! She can cut any shape out perfectly, but, because she holds the scissors really funny, they marked that she doesn't know that. They also said she can't write her name. She wrote it: KArrie, versus Karrie. We have been working on correcting both of those this summer, but have not progressed greatly!

Currently in our school district preschool, and play groups are optional. Which would be attended until age five. Providing that the child is age 5 by September 1st, they can start kindergarten that year. School starts the last full week of August. Though Kindergarten is optional! All children must be enrolled in some type of school by the age of I think it is 8.

We have elementary school which is made up of Kindergarten through 5th grade. Then there is middle school which is currently made up of 6th through 8th grade. Then there is High school which is of course 9th through 12th.
Than college and further education, if the student decides to.

Now, our district has had problems with building a new elementary school. So the elementary schools are overcrowded, and are only getting fuller. So the schoool, plans to change elementary school to grades K-4 and middle school 5th-8th. The 5th and 6th grade would "run" on the same hours of the elementary school. The high school would stay the same with it being the 9th-12th.

Luckily this won't be for at least another two years, so my DD going into 5th grade this year will not have that schedule. And DD going into kindergarten won't have to go through that for another 5 years, and by than hopefully it is all set up and running smoothly.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 08-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Karen, Im sending out a big hug to you and your DD. She sounds like she will do just fine!! I think that it is much harder on us Moms than it is on our kids to leave for that first day. My son surprised me to by hugging and kissing me and turning right around to his table and not giving us another look for his first day. Of course, I cried. Just to let you know .... it gets easier and you might even start to look forward to school starting! It starts here for my son on the 25th and we are ready to go!

Our schools are overcrowded too. The second graders are outside in PODS this year. Open house is on Tues. but we went last night to find his "room". He's not sure what to make of this arrangement since he's never had to deal with this before. I think that once he gets used to it, he will be fine. I have to give him a lot of credit because he went from a school that had approx. 250 kids, to one with way over 900 kids with no problems.

Enjoy this year with her!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

What is a standard class size in your schools? For our little ones it is around 20 - 22 per class. Up to about 30 per class in Year 5 & 6.