Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 04-17-2005, 06:50 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Be sure to stress the importance of school.

I do that all the time. Miriam hates school, but I say Look how smart you have gotten. You wouldn't know all those spanish and french words if you didn't go to school. (They start both those languages in first grade here).

Coll
Old 04-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow, mom2-4, that sounds what they should LEARN in kindergarten!

My son just recently had his K screening and he had to recognize primary colors, draw anything (just wanted to see how he handled a pencil, crayon, etc), know basic body parts (although they also asked obscure ones like knuckle), how well he interacted with others, counting to 20 and basic gross motors things like jumping and hopping.

I asked them if he needed to know how to write his name and know the sounds of letters, things like that, and they told me that's what they would teach him (we are going to homeschool but just wanted a sense of where he was on their charts).

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

WOW! My son is in Kindergarten now, and those are the desired abilities at the end of the year! I guess here in CA, we've got lots different standards?
DS 08/29/01
DD 06/23/03
DS 02/02/05
My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 04-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I agree with those who have said not to stress too much about it. They will all of that info. during the year.

I also agree with reinforcing the idea that school is fun. My son loves school and this has made his transition to his new school so much easier. I was a nervous wreck last week when I sent him off on a school bus for the first time in his life to a school that he had only seen for a brief time the day before. He made it through the first week with flying colors and he says that he really likes his new school because they do so much more than at his old school.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-17-2005, 10:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was a K and 1st Grade teacher for years and I can not believe what they want the kids to learn before even going to school. What are they going to teach the children in K and 1st Grade?

One of the most important needs for a child just starting school is to know the Fairy Tales(and I mean the old ones too) and any other books you can read them. I found that children who parents read to them could handle school better. They seemed to be able to sort out problems, adjust faster, were more creative and learned to read faster and more advance than children who did not have this experience. Encourge reading now, it will be the best thing you can do for your child.

Good luck to all parents who's children are starting school.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:53 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by gwtw-mom
Wow, mom2-4, that sounds what they should LEARN in kindergarten!
It is my understanding that they want them to be able to read while in kindergarten. They want to start teaching them to add/subtract while still in kindergarten.

It seems each year that they want them to know more and more before starting kindergarten.

I mean really some of the stuff my DD, that is in fourth grade, brings home stuff that my older two kids learned at the end of middle school, eighth grade! I think my older two kids bring home stuff that would have been college stuff when I was in high school!

I guess that exepct Doogie Howsers or something. Maybe they want them to be taking college prep courses by fifth grade!

She will go for the testing at the begining of May. So, if there is something that she is not up to their par for we have 3 1/2 months to learn it.

Believe me, I am not stressing over this too much. I just don't want an instant replay of what happened with my DS. He went into kindergarten not knowing the letters of the alphabet, he just wasn't interested, by the end of kindergarten he was reading on a second grade level. By second grade he lost all interest in school. I think he was pushed too hard for the first two years.

I feel as though my DD is ready. I am just concerned that kindergarten is now too structured. And not fun any more. All of the learning she has done so far has been through play. She has learned to write/spell her full name, not necessarily the way they claim to want it done, by playing with sidewalk chalk outside!

I guess I will just wait and see what they say at screening. And if they don't give me a list of what she should know and doesn't know. We will just continue to practice what she does already know. If she seems to get bored with that I will work on more with her.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:57 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I should add!

These are not things they have to absolutely know to get into kindergarten. They just have to be 5 years old by September 1st to enter kindergarten.

They just would like if they know these things.

I did get the paper for her invite for pre-screening. That states that they will use the screening for placement. I guess so that kids will be put with kids closer to their own level.

Our area is pushing for kindergarten to be full day. That preschool is mandatory. Due to the fact that if they are taught earlier they learn "better"..??

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

They have full day kindergarten here but not mandatory preschool. That's the main reason hubby and I decided to homeschool.

After DS kingergarten screening I asked them what they do with them in the afternoon. The teachers told me lunch, about an hour of math (maybe less), a long recess, and then they work on their stations. Those "stations" looked like what I would call free play.

They did say that with the exception of math, all the main learning is done in the afternoon. Which begs the question, why in the world are you forcing these kids to be there all day? They could do half day kindergarten and cut the class size in half.

They did tell me I could take my DS home before lunch each day but I'd have to teach him math at home. So we just decided to teach him everything else, too.

That's really great what you've taught your DD so far!

Tammy
Old 05-07-2005, 04:00 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am getting very anxious! Monday is Kindergarten screening testing.

So, I will find out than if she should know more. I think if she does need to know more. I will question what they are teaching in kindergarten!

Old 08-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Karen,

So how did it all go?? Has your dd started kindergarten?? Can you please fill me in on the differences in the education system In Melbourne, Victoria Australia (where I live) this is what happens.

Some kids in creche/daycare/playgroups etc until age four.

Some kids do 3 yo kinder

Children are expected to do 4 yo kinder. (Usually 3 sessions a week 3 - 4 hrs per session!)

They must start school by the time they are 6. Can start school from age 4 if they will be 5 by May 31 that year. School year begins Feb. Must be there by age 6!
That first year of school is full days 9 - 3.30pm. Called prep. Then the rest of primary goes Gr 1 - 6. High School (Yr 7 - 12) begins around age 12/13 through to 17/18. Then uni if they choose, or tertiary education, or work , or whatever??????????