Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Preschoolers & Kindergartners

Preschoolers & Kindergartners What a fun time in life! Time to learn 123's and ABC's. At the same time, they're leaving that babyhood we'll miss so much!

Old 10-06-2004, 05:51 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Not thinking clearly

Hi! Anyone have any hints on helping your kindergartener "get focused?" I chalk it up to all they are having pumped into there heads but she is doing things that could be dangerous as today "again" at the bus stop I reminded her to look both ways when walking past the car (it's cold here as there are other cars coming out of the association that we live in going to work. She didn't and luckily there wasn't a car like 2 days ago. She came close to being hit. I called her back to the car and told her I didn't see her look both ways, she just said "sorry". We all would be "sorry" if she got hit. It's in more areas that just that, but that one could be disastorous. It seems early for her to become so... scatterbrained. ha! This has been going on since school started and getting worse.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Some kids just need more supervision and longer supervision than other kids do. That means every time you are crossing a street with her, you say, "look left - is anything coming? Now look right - is anything coming? Now look left again - is anything coming? Can we go now? (halfway across) now look to the right again. Is anything coming? Can we go now?"

Again and again and again and again - ad nauseum. Finally, it will become something of a reflex. But at this age, just telling a child something once or twice is inadequate. With all the new things she is trying to learn and remember, she just needs extra help in this area - and probably others - for a while.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 10-08-2004, 08:31 PM
kellyandkids

Like this will make you feel better: I took care of a 12 yr old who couldn't remember to close the front door behind himself in January. Minnesota gets cold! So keep talking the talk. Try teachign her a cute song about checking for cars.

I am more worried about what you said about it getting worse as the school year progresses. Is K to stressful? Would your child be better off waiting another year? Do you know that K is NOT required. No reason she can't jump back in next year and do fine as she will be more developementally ready for seat work.

At least make sure her teachers and aids know to watch a little more closely. Or switch her to a no bus environment like a private Montessori Kindergarten.

I must admit, one reason I homeschool is that the buses scare me. And now they wake me up in the morning. Yup,we don't get up until the bus rolls on by!
Old 10-12-2004, 06:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Is it only crossing the street, etc. that you are worrying about? Because I think a 5-year-old just can't be relied upon to do that safely!! I know there are exceptions but most kindergarten children are just not ready for that. My 8-year-old DD will still walk right into the street without looking and she wonders why I won't let her ride her bike in the road yet. I keep telling her that if she wants to ride in the road she has to show me that she knows how to be safe when she is crossing for the bus, etc.
At the age of 5 children still need to be "crossed" with an older child or a grownup, at least to the point of, "Let's look both ways together. Is there anything coming? No? OK, then it's safe to cross!"

Kids near streets will do amazingly careless things, even older ones than your child. Since my little one likes to watch the buses roll past the house (3 buses, twice a day) we see plenty of children horsing around in the street on the corner. We are in a residential neighborhood but people still speed through like they are on a highway

You can't be too careful when it comes to crossing streets.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Not thinking clearly

Hi!
She is 6 already, and yes, I know that kindergarten isn't manditory. Would consider it if she wasn't so old now.
It's not just one thing it's several things, she's just scatterbrained, but I'm chocking it up to normal cuz she is getting bombarded with so... much knowledge. I told her that if she didn't look both ways again I would get out of the car and walk her to the bus and to her actual seat. She's been looking ever since.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:41 AM
kellyandkids

Use the techniques that works! I have resorted to plain old peer pressure to get compliance of my kids from time to time.

My 6-yr-old son is on overload also. I have the freedom to stop mixing phoincs and numbers and just focus on one at a time. He couldn't keep straight what was a digit and what was a letter so I stopped trying to do both subjects at once. He's doing well at the number concepts so we'll work until he understands and recognizes all the digits. He'll have that much success under his belt when we go back to the 36 English sounds to master.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Not Thinking Clearly

Your comment that it was getting worse also caught my attention. This is just a thought, but is she getting enough sleep? My daughter is also in K and I found I had to move her bedtime to almost an hour earlier in order for her to wake up on her own and be refreshed. Before I did, she also had "focus issues" (and afternoon grumps with tears) and I also had to wake her in the mornings. HTH.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Mom2kaitie, that is a good suggestion. All kids focus much better (adults too) when we have had enough sleep!

(And welcome to Family Corner! I hope you enjoy your time here!)
Old 10-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

i read that it's not a good idea to let children under 10 cross the street by themselves. They don't have the abilaty to judge distance until then. That being said the two daycare boys the I watch were going to the bus by themselves but behave so badly that I now have to walk them - they are 7 and 9. Their behavior is getting worse as the school year goes on. Their mom has started putting them to bed sooner in hopes that it will help.

BD Club