FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Prepping On A Budget (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/prepping-budget/)
-   -   Low Income Prepping! (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/prepping-budget/32021-low-income-prepping.html)

mom 08-26-2014 12:29 PM

Low Income Prepping!

When I find a good buy at the store I buy plenty of that one item. For example when we found cans of cream corn for only 23 cents each we went back to the store for more.

What items can you find to prep with on a low budget.?

mom 08-27-2014 10:33 AM

I like to stock up on Peanut Butter also. The kids just adore PB.

crochet2 08-28-2014 08:04 AM

Good morning all!!

A couple of weeks ago, the grocery store was clearancing out Uncle Ben's Chicken au Gratin rice mixes for $.49. I had $.25 coupons which doubled, making them free. I had 20 coupons, making them free. I only kept 4, and donated the rest to the food pantry at my church. Too much salt in the mixes for my high bp.

Dawn, like you I keep pb stocked up, because I eat a lot on crackers for breakfast.

I also keep a stock of steel cut oats, applesauce, boxed mac 'n cheese (again not too many because of the salt), canned beans, and dry beans, and smoked meat in the freezer. I only use brown rice now, and it has a shorter shelflife than white rice, so I can only keep so much of that. My freezer is usually filled with frozen veggies.

I am sure there is more and as I think of things, I will post

Have a great day. Norma

RobertaD 08-28-2014 12:19 PM

I picked up 20 boxes Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes $.50 a box, keeping 4 the rest going to a charity my church supports that feeds low income families.

Can you cook the brown rice and freeze in serving sizes like white rice, Norma?

Roberta

mom 08-29-2014 05:38 AM

Wow! Norma and Roberta you both found such good deals. I bought some sale items yesterday, cereal, crackers ect. but not as inexpensive as you girls were able to get. Although they were on good sale. I was also able to get soft corn tortillas on sale and they last a long time in my fridge.

AnnaInOhio 08-29-2014 10:19 AM

Stocking up on sale items is a really good idea. I haven't found any great bargains lately but do try to keep stocked up on Peanut Butter, it has such a high nutrition value. Also orange juice.. my store now sells cans 5 oz. each in a case of 48 I try to keep at least 2 on hand (cases). Dh likes one each night when he goes to bed. They are $19.99 a case.

Anna

crochet2 09-02-2014 08:57 AM

Good morning all!!

Dawn, mostly it is being in the right place at the right time, and having the coupons with you.

I am considering buying some of the coupons for the Carefree pantiliners ($.50/1) and getting them for free (once the coupons are doubled) for my church's free store. I am totally stocked at the moment, having just bought 20 coupons, and being sent more from some members here.

Take care all!! Norma

mom 10-04-2014 10:56 AM

This may sound strange, but we stopped using shampoo we only wash our hair with conditioner, I have found that for me it works really well and doesn't strip my hair or make it dry. One less item to have to buy and store.

mom 10-06-2014 04:59 PM

Another low income prep would be to buy your candles at the thrift store. That's where I usually buy mine and if you search you can find good deals on the candles.

mom 10-07-2014 08:04 PM

bmp:daydream:

AnnaInOhio 10-08-2014 04:31 AM

Price went up on the case of OJ.. $28 now.:ugh:

Anna

bluebird 10-08-2014 06:38 AM

I am stocking up on mac and cheese. We only buy Annies, it has been on sale 10 for $10. I did get two rainchecks for 10 each but haven't used them since they are still on sale. This may be it for mac and cheese from a box for us since Annies sold to a GMO company.

crochet2 10-08-2014 10:05 AM

Good afternoon all:

Connie, sorry about the Annie's. Any chance of finding a place that makes the powdered cheese that your family can eat?

Norma

RobertaD 10-08-2014 10:46 AM

I thought Annie's was organic???

Roberta

AnnaInOhio 10-10-2014 06:57 PM

Try First Buy More Later

I bought today a 6 lb. container of diced potatoes from our store. I'll be using them to make a vegetable soup this weekend, have the hamburger thawing (chicken). I hate cutting up potatoes and in a emergency situation may not have immediate access to potatoes. I have dehydrated them but they are too thin for a good veggie soup in my opinion. Canning yourself you need to use a pressure canner and I still have the issue with my glass top stove of it not being wide enough for my pressure canner. So.. trying the canned potatoes. You can buy them in smaller cans at the store but with my store discount I paid $4.31 for the whole big can. I will drain them before using to get all the extra salt off them. So economically its cheaper than buying store bought most places and less time consuming than doing them myself.

They will also be good in a emergency along with other canned veggies to serve a lot of people which might be the case if my neighbors are hungry too.

I also bought a big bag of grits 5 lbs. for $3.59 with my discount. I love Grits so will bottle them up in jars and use now and later. Filling food.

I don't hear people mention it on here too much but Cream of Wheat is a good stock up food for emergency use, comes in both regular and chocolate flavored. Not sure on the shelf life of it but with powdered milk and sugar a good wholesome meal of grains. Grits served southern style are made with butter and salt, nothern with milk and sugar. I suppose if I didn't have butter I could use them northern style in a emergency situation.

I saw a recipe in a book I got from the library on making Hummus from Garbanzo beans. We sell those too in the cans, good protein source.

Variety is truly not only the spice of life but a good way to survive in hard times and not get burned out on foods. There is a name for it when you stop eating because you are so tired of the same foods, can't think what its called at the moment. Oh Food Fatigue.

Cheryl has mentioned and it's really important having a variety of spices on hand to make the same foods taste different or more appealing.

Anna

RobertaD 10-12-2014 07:19 AM

It is good to have food that can be used in a variety of ways so you don't get tired of eating it.

Anna I would be interested in knowing if the potatoes have a canned taste to them. I've found that potatoes pick up a tinnie flavor that other veggies & fruits don't.

Roberta

AnnaInOhio 10-12-2014 06:48 PM

Roberta

Sure hope not.. I would guess if it's lined it wouldn't but won't know till I open them.

Anna

crochet2 10-13-2014 04:28 AM

Good morning!!

Anna, how did the potatoes work out? I not only used to drain mine, but also used to rinse to get off any preservatives. Because potatoes turn brown, there had to be something besides salt in the water.

I haven't bought any in years, used to use them in an emergency to fry usually for breakfasts.

Take care all!! Norma

AnnaInOhio 10-16-2014 04:32 AM

Norma

I will rinse mine very well too.

I haven't used them yet, may do that Sunday for dinner (Veggie Soup).

Yesterday I bought a 5 lb. 14 oz. can of Northern Beans $6 something? that we will use to cook ready made beans with corn bread this winter. I'll add a little bit of ham to it when we cook it. Another good source of fibre and easy to prepare meal. I will drain off all the juice and salt that it is packed in, we usually add tomato soup to our beans.

And again, a good emergency meal even if we didn't have the ham to go in it, just beans with crackers would fit the bill.

I also bought last week at Aldi's a seasonal item: Turkey Chili in the cans. That can be ate alone or added over spaghetti noodles, over rice for a meal that is easy to fix and full of nutrients and a little variety. It could even be added as a topping for Ramen Noodles.

Anna

AnnaInOhio 10-16-2014 04:32 AM

Next Project even though dh doesn't care for it:

Canned Spinach

Anna

RobertaD 10-16-2014 05:32 AM

Anna the chili could also go on top of a baked potatoe or add pasta for an easy chili mac. I keep a couple cans of Hormel chili with beans on hand to whip up a quick and easy meal or add to melted cheese for a hearty dip.

I add shredded carrots and onions to my Ham & bean soup gives extra flavor, color and nutrients.

I bagged up the leftover plates & cups from dd1's graduation party and will use them for water emergencies instead filling the sink with dirty dishes.

Roberta

AnnaInOhio 10-19-2014 09:00 AM

Canned Diced Potatoes GFS

Roberta

good going on saving the paper plates for emergency. I have a stash but really need to add to it.

I did use the diced potatoes yesterday for the veggie soup. Totally awesome! No metallic taste to them at all and they were perfect sized.

I did also buy 3 cans of spinach at Aldi's yesterday I think they were 59 cents a can.

Anna

crochet2 10-19-2014 02:08 PM

Good evening!

I added 2 cans of creamed corn to my stash, and used 2 cans for Cat Lover's corn and jalapeno soup for my dinner.

Take care all!! Norma

RobertaD 10-26-2014 08:19 AM

I'm reusing the styrofoam coolers that dd2's medicine comes in each month to hold water and energy bars in the car with winter. I'm hoping the styrofoam will keep the water and bars from freezing so if needed they will be there. I'm thinking of putting in some of the hand warmers as well.

Roberta

RobertaD 10-31-2014 06:23 AM

There are 7 movies currently up for grabs.

Contests & Prizes - FamilyCorner.com Forums

Roberta

AnnaInOhio 11-02-2014 04:28 PM

Roberta

Let us know how that works out with the styrofoam and water especially. It's something I am concerned with with carrying liquids for emergencies in the vehicles.

I have cut way down on my coffee drinking.. I use to carry a thermos of coffee with me every day and it doesn't freeze stored in the vehicles (glass lined thermos) but I don't carry anything but the one I'm drinking for most of the day now (cup of coffee in a travel cup).

Anna

RobertaD 11-03-2014 04:57 AM

I'm hoping the styrofoam containers will keep the water and meal bars from freezing.

Roberta

ellenmelon 11-03-2014 07:00 AM

I got htis from a preppers site: How to store water in car in freezing temps? - Survivalist Forum

"Don't store water, store a sports drink like Gatoraid.

I keep Gatoraid in all my vechicles and so far it has not frozen even when I leave them
out side all night with temps in the tens.

Not only is it a source of fluids it is also a source of calories, something you will need if you are stuck in your car in a blizzard.
Your will need the electrolytes as well if you will be on foot."

G2 does not have sugar in it or even fake sugar. It might have salts but not much, the Sobe water I have on my desk has 55 mg salt.

RobertaD 12-17-2014 05:49 PM

I redeemed rewards with Avon for a Coleman duo LED lantern. Now to buy 4 D batteries, OUCH. Will store it with the batteries not in it and take them out when not using it so the batteries don't corrode it. I will look into rechargeable batteries too.

Roberta

crochet2 12-20-2014 03:53 AM

Good morning all!!

Roberta, Dollar Tree has batteries in all sizes, I believe the size D are sold in a 2-pk, but $1 I have found they last pretty well. Especially if you are taking them out in between uses.

I better swap out my batteries in my doorbell, thanks for the reminder.

Take care all!! Norma

mom 12-20-2014 07:43 AM

We have a foot locker (trunk) full of candles. We also have oil lamps, but need additional oil for our preps. We have a few of those dynamo flash lights that do not take batteries.

We do use batteries for items at times, but would prefer not to rely on them since they won't last.

RobertaD 12-20-2014 08:43 AM

Thanks Norma, I will have to stop and get the D batteries there.

Roberta

mom 12-21-2014 07:02 AM

Hi Ladies,

Not too long ago I was able to buy two very large cans of powdered cheese at our discount store. The huge cans only cost me $3 dollars a piece.

We also recently bought a huge amount of Organic food at this same discount store for a fraction of what it would normally cost. To bad they don't always carry lots of food items, it is kind of a hit and miss deal.

How is everyone doing with their preps?

AnnaInOhio 12-21-2014 07:13 AM

I got a new deep freezer a cpl. weeks ago and have been trying to fill it with meats. Now that winter is here less worries about it spoiling if we have a long term power outage.

At the thrift store 2 weeks ago? I bought several extra blankets for winter use, need to put one of those in our SUV for winter in case we would break down especially as we are planning a road trip soon 124 miles away driving through a lot of country roads, who knows how long it might take AAA to rescue us. Fingers crossed no heavy snows in Ohio that weekend, a lot of that country area is 2 lane roads with no one businesses around for miles and miles. A lot of Amish farms but way too far off the road in some areas for us to get to a warm place.

Anna

RobertaD 12-21-2014 09:24 AM

Along with a blanket and flashlight in the car keep some water and energy bars or trail mix in a cooler to keep from freezing so you can keep up your energy while you wait or if you have to walk a distance for help.

Roberta

AnnaInOhio 12-21-2014 09:40 AM

Good idea Roberta

I will be taking a thermos of coffee with me along with Pepsi for dh and snack stuff.

Walking with dh's handicap is out of the question, which is why I really don't like to travel in the winter.

Anna

RobertaD 01-01-2015 09:57 AM

2015 I'm going to investigate the coupon rebate apps. There are now 10 of them according to kcl.
How I'm Couponing in 2015 - The Krazy Coupon Lady

Roberta

crochet2 03-07-2015 10:10 AM

Good afternoon!!

I was in Family Dollar and came across their clearance food section. I think they just aren't carrying what I found anymore because the dates were at least a year away.

I picked up the last 2 cans of crushed pineapple (I will use this summer to make ice milk), 2 bags of dried mango - great for snacking at work, and a 1 oz. bottle of almond extract. The extract was $1 for that bottle.

So I am stocked on a few more things which add variety to my diet.

Norma

mom 03-14-2015 11:05 AM

Was at the health food store the other day and bought some rice on discount.

How are the preps going for everyone else?

ellenmelon 03-14-2015 04:42 PM

We have been using up old canned goods and able to come across some pickles made two years ago. I hope our garden this summer is prolific so we can stock up some more.

When I cleaned out the laundry room last weekend I realized we won't need health and beauty things for quite awhile.

We do need to replenish our dried milk supply but I've been able to use some tinned milk gotten on sale and stocked up.

Dh has been diligent about bringing wood home so we are good for heat except we will also buy about two tons of coal for the following year, we like to keep one year ahead on our home heating supplies.

Dh and I have been discussing how to use the old water heater to store water for a backup supply. We put it outside before we thought of it, so the glass liner might have cracked in this cold. We'll have to check it out. Water is my bigger concern, we do have a friend with a well but the water would need sterilization.

For lighting we still have some solar panels to set up, hopefully this spring.