Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Prepping On A Budget How do you prepare for emergencies and stay within your budget?

Old 06-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Nine Year Member

I am stocking Purell. From what I read, it is the most effective of all hand sanitizers. I also am stocking antibacterial spray--Walmart's generic. We always keep a stock of wipes. I get Walmart's canister of baby wipes. We stock refried beans, in addition to dry beans. Awhile back, Safeway had 20 pound bags of pintos for 45 cents a pound. I bought lots of pintos! I am thinking about getting more. Also, we really like Calrose rice, and it is available in 20 pound bags. I have a lot of white sugar, probably at least 100 pounds. I figure sugar and salt are good for bartering, should the need arise. I need to stock flour. I have hesitated, because I don't know how well it keeps, and because of the possibility of weevils. I do know that I can store it in the freezer for a week or so, and that will take care of the weevils. I am keeping and collecting glass jars with metal lids. I would like to stock cooking and olive oil, but I don't know how to prevent it getting old. I know olive oil is bad about going rancid if it's kept too long. Oh my, the list goes on.

Out here, people have been known to bake cookies on the dashboard of their cars in the summer! I am thinking that if I use the crockpot, I should put it on the patio to help keep the house cooler.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Assistant Moderator

I have tried making different solar oven's. All failed. A bay leaf will keep flour bug free.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:05 PM

Bay leafs are what I keep in each jar of my flour.. have had my flour since last fall maybe late summer? No weevils.

Anna
Old 06-20-2015, 07:19 PM

Dollar Tree Prepping

As some of you who read the Frugal Thread saw Cocoa hurt her foot night before last:

It was bleeding so I went for my hydrogen peroxide.. could not find it. I called Melissa across the street and she had some. Then the issue how to apply it.. Cocoa was not letting me use a Qtip application very well but we got it on. Then went for the neoporin.. only had a small amount and again, she fought me to get that on.

So yesterday morning.. I went to the Dollar Tree and made a point of going in the medical supplies aisle. Wow! Got a gigantic bottle of peroxide for a dollar. They had small 30 ct 3 in a pack antibacterial hand wipes so I bought those. They have cheesecloth there for a dollar will add that to my supplies next week as they makes wonderful bandaging. They had ice packs for a dollar oddly in the aisle with disposable aluminum pans.. so I bought 2 of those and they are now in the deep freezer.

I went to Family Dollar and bought a travel pack which included a small sprayer bottle.. that will go in my emergency suitcase. I planned and may still have to mix it with water and peroxide to spray on Cocoa's toe (she broke her toenail completely off down to the skin. In any case it will be there for the future if I need it. I also still need to get septic powder not sure where to get that will have to ask the pharmacist. I have seen the sticks and was actually looking for those at Dollar Tree but they didn't have it. Corn Starch will work too but I didn't have any of that and it can go bad if moisture gets in it so not a real good prepper item. Also got neoporin at Family Dollar yesterday.

So it is a good idea to take the time to look through your emergency supplies to make sure if you have run out of something to replace it before you need it.

I returned Melissa's favor yesterday when they ran out of flour and borrowed some from me LOL!

Anna
Old 06-21-2015, 08:18 PM
Nine Year Member

Connie, thanks for the reminder about a bay leaf in the flour. I had totally forgotten about that.

Anna, thanks for sharing about Dollar Tree. I had not really thought about them in terms of stocking up. I'll definitely have to check that out! Poor Cocoa! Would it be possible to use the spray on bandage stuff? I don't know how long it takes to dry, though, and you sure wouldn't want her licking it off.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:50 AM
Assistant Moderator

I think liquid bandage would burn. The kind i used does.

I keep a bay leaf in drawers and on shelves in my kitchen. It is so messy and do much work if you get bugs in the kitchen.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:24 AM

Good afternoon all!!

I always use bay leaves everywhere too. I change them yearly also.

Anna, I am a big fan of the dollar stores for health and beauty aids. They may or may not carry name brands, but peroxide and isopropyl alcohol are industry standards, and no-brand is just as good.

I would think that corn starch would be good if removed from the cardboard box, and stored in a glass jar.

Have a great afternoon. Norma
Old 06-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Nine Year Member

You can get 2 packs of Tena pads at CVS this week for free after sale, coupons, cash back. Print 2 $2 coupons at coupon.com They can be used for wound care as well as on leakages. The gauze that Anna mentioned would be a great way to keep the pad on the wound.

Roberta
Old 07-05-2015, 08:38 AM

Good afternoon all!!

I am stocking up slowly and deliberately on my meds in case of an emergency, or a layoff.

My biggest money saver on meds at this point was weaning myself off the prescription version of Nexium (40 mg) and getting myself down to the OTC version (23.5 mg). I did this when it became available OTC. I started by replacing one 40 mg pill 2 times a week for a couple of weeks, then replacing the lower dosage 3 times, then 4, etc., until I worked myself down to all OTC pills. I did this obviously over the course of my last bottle of 40 mg.

At the same time, I am putting $5 weekly in an envelope that is labeled Nexium. High value coupons have been popping up as soon as this went OTC, so I have been taking advantage of coupons and sales. Whenever I see a good sale and there is a coupon out for this product (42 count is up to $29.00 not on sale).

Just last week, there were coupons in the paper for $7 off the 42 count. I had two coupons, and my store had a sale on it for $23.69. As I was looking on the shelf for this, at my grocery store, I spotted a 3rd coupon. I checked my money envelope for Nexium, and I had more than enough money to pay for a 3rd.

I already have 3 boxed stashed, so with my new three, I have 8 months of Nexium on hand. Could not possibly do that using my insurance for medicine.

I saved $21 with the coupons, and $16.++ on the on-sale price on just this one medicine I can't live well without.

Also, I checked the list of meds that my grocery store pharmacy will fill for free. I take metformin for my diabetes. They come with instructions "take two daily". My doctor has advised that I don't need to do that, just to take one a day. So, she sent a prescription to my grocery store for me. I went in yesterday, and came away with 60 pills (a normal 30 day supply, but actually a 60 day supply for me). There are 5 refills with this. It means that I will be calling for a refill the beginning of next month, and again, I will get 60 pills and then be 60 days ahead at that point.

It is my understanding the grocery store may be shutting the program down in December. But I will have a large supply of metformin ahead.

Metformin for a 90 day supply (180 pills) through my insurance is $20. I saved $20 yesterday on this one medicine.

If you take a baby aspirin every day or every other day, look for coupons on them. They very seldom go on sale, but sometimes you can find them in the dollar stores, look at Dollar Tree because they take coupons.

See if your doctor will prescribe a "double dose" of a pill that then can be cut in half with a pill splitter. If you feel you can't do a good job of splitting the pills, ask someone with a steadier hand to do it for you.

And then if there is an emergency, financial or weather or disaster related, make sure you take that stash with you.

When Hurricane Sandy was about to strike, I had all my meds packed and ready to go if I had to evacuate. Luckily that didn't happen but I still was prepared.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 07-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Nine Year Member

You can buy a pill cutter for around $3 was so worth it to me as we all do a half dose plus a full pill once a day.

You are smart to fill the RX monthly Norma at no charge as you never know when that program will stop (maybe Dec) or you need to go to the 2 pill dosage you will be ready.

My insurance will pay for the baby aspirin so I made sure to ask for a script instead of my having to pay for them when I was put on them. Which it is normally cheaper to buy the full strength and just cut them in half.

Kroger has been having a sale on the Nestle flavored water 6pk $2.99 buy 1 get 3 Free. So $2.99 for 18 bottles costs a little more than plain water but my kids will drink the flavored water a lot more than they do plain.

Stocked on plastic quart & gallon freezer size bags after sale & coupons $.49 a box. Puffs 180ct for $.49-.74-.99 depending on the coupon. I've kept 10 boxes of bags and 10 boxes of Puffs then shared the rest with family.

Last week I picked up a box of Latex-free cotton balls for $.30 (didn't know cotton balls had latex in them which I'm allergic to). And picked up some gauze wrap for next to nothing.

Roberta