Low Income Prepping! - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Prepping On A Budget How do you prepare for emergencies and stay within your budget?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:31 AM

Price went up on the case of OJ.. $28 now.

Anna
Old 10-08-2014, 06:38 AM
Assistant Moderator

I am stocking up on mac and cheese. We only buy Annies, it has been on sale 10 for $10. I did get two rainchecks for 10 each but haven't used them since they are still on sale. This may be it for mac and cheese from a box for us since Annies sold to a GMO company.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:05 AM

Good afternoon all:

Connie, sorry about the Annie's. Any chance of finding a place that makes the powdered cheese that your family can eat?

Norma
Old 10-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Nine Year Member

I thought Annie's was organic???

Roberta
Old 10-10-2014, 06:57 PM

Try First Buy More Later

I bought today a 6 lb. container of diced potatoes from our store. I'll be using them to make a vegetable soup this weekend, have the hamburger thawing (chicken). I hate cutting up potatoes and in a emergency situation may not have immediate access to potatoes. I have dehydrated them but they are too thin for a good veggie soup in my opinion. Canning yourself you need to use a pressure canner and I still have the issue with my glass top stove of it not being wide enough for my pressure canner. So.. trying the canned potatoes. You can buy them in smaller cans at the store but with my store discount I paid $4.31 for the whole big can. I will drain them before using to get all the extra salt off them. So economically its cheaper than buying store bought most places and less time consuming than doing them myself.

They will also be good in a emergency along with other canned veggies to serve a lot of people which might be the case if my neighbors are hungry too.

I also bought a big bag of grits 5 lbs. for $3.59 with my discount. I love Grits so will bottle them up in jars and use now and later. Filling food.

I don't hear people mention it on here too much but Cream of Wheat is a good stock up food for emergency use, comes in both regular and chocolate flavored. Not sure on the shelf life of it but with powdered milk and sugar a good wholesome meal of grains. Grits served southern style are made with butter and salt, nothern with milk and sugar. I suppose if I didn't have butter I could use them northern style in a emergency situation.

I saw a recipe in a book I got from the library on making Hummus from Garbanzo beans. We sell those too in the cans, good protein source.

Variety is truly not only the spice of life but a good way to survive in hard times and not get burned out on foods. There is a name for it when you stop eating because you are so tired of the same foods, can't think what its called at the moment. Oh Food Fatigue.

Cheryl has mentioned and it's really important having a variety of spices on hand to make the same foods taste different or more appealing.

Anna
Old 10-12-2014, 07:19 AM
Nine Year Member

It is good to have food that can be used in a variety of ways so you don't get tired of eating it.

Anna I would be interested in knowing if the potatoes have a canned taste to them. I've found that potatoes pick up a tinnie flavor that other veggies & fruits don't.

Roberta
Old 10-12-2014, 06:48 PM

Roberta

Sure hope not.. I would guess if it's lined it wouldn't but won't know till I open them.

Anna
Old 10-13-2014, 04:28 AM

Good morning!!

Anna, how did the potatoes work out? I not only used to drain mine, but also used to rinse to get off any preservatives. Because potatoes turn brown, there had to be something besides salt in the water.

I haven't bought any in years, used to use them in an emergency to fry usually for breakfasts.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 10-16-2014, 04:32 AM

Norma

I will rinse mine very well too.

I haven't used them yet, may do that Sunday for dinner (Veggie Soup).

Yesterday I bought a 5 lb. 14 oz. can of Northern Beans $6 something? that we will use to cook ready made beans with corn bread this winter. I'll add a little bit of ham to it when we cook it. Another good source of fibre and easy to prepare meal. I will drain off all the juice and salt that it is packed in, we usually add tomato soup to our beans.

And again, a good emergency meal even if we didn't have the ham to go in it, just beans with crackers would fit the bill.

I also bought last week at Aldi's a seasonal item: Turkey Chili in the cans. That can be ate alone or added over spaghetti noodles, over rice for a meal that is easy to fix and full of nutrients and a little variety. It could even be added as a topping for Ramen Noodles.

Anna
Old 10-16-2014, 04:32 AM

Next Project even though dh doesn't care for it:

Canned Spinach

Anna