Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Prepping On A Budget How do you prepare for emergencies and stay within your budget?

Old 07-15-2017, 07:10 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Good morning all!!

Was able to get a family size package of chicken thighs today for $.79 lb. The sale was only for today and tomorrow and this small store always sells out quickly. Also was able to pick up 1 1/2 dozen eggs for $1.49 (carton dated 9/17), while 1 dozen (same brand) was $1.99. Was able to stop a gentleman from buying the 1 dozen carton and get the larger amount for less. He was really pleased by my advice.

Norma
Old 10-30-2017, 03:32 AM
Nine Year Member

There are 5 open contests going on now https://www.familycorner.com/forums/contests-prizes/

Roberta
Old 12-08-2018, 07:14 AM
Nine Year Member

Shop sales, use coupons, redeem rebate apps and/or store rewards for the lowest price.

I redeemed a Meijer free digital coupon for a pouch of Folger 1850 coffee last night. Pays to always check digital coupons & rewards before heading to a store saved $19.33 with coupons. And earned a $2 reward on my next shopping trip to Meijer.

Roberta
Old 12-08-2018, 03:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi Everyone!

I too, shop sales and only buy things that we need at the time. I also shop Walgreens and collect points on everyday products, toilet paper, cleaners, paper towels, garbage bags, batteries, etc (just a few examples) As my points add up, I use them to buy stuff I really want, like a bottle of perfume.

I have gotten over $100.00 back in products, vitamins, etc.
The rewards points build up quickly.

janet
Old 12-18-2018, 03:56 AM
Nine Year Member

In case anyone missed the announcement of FC closing here is the link to the post.
https://www.familycorner.com/forums/...nt.php?f=&a=35

Roberta
Old 12-29-2018, 07:04 PM

I was at Odd Lots aka Big Lots yesterday 50% off on all Christmas stuff including super sturdy Christmas decorated paper plates. I paid $1.75 these are for when we are sick, if we would have water contamination like WV did a few years ago. We had the flu a couple years ago and we were so sick it was miserable hand washing cups and bowls when I was so sick.. we don't have a dishwasher.

With me not working right now our income is a lot less and we are eligible for food pantries. I take what they give humbly and stock what we can't use right away and they give unbelievable amounts of fruits and vegetables cases sometimes. I can everything I can and my pantry is full of fruits, my freezers are full of vegetables. So check and see if they have them in your area and what your requirements are.. I was surprised that we were eligible but very grateful while we continue this journey with husbands cancer and other health issues. I am learning about other resources as we go along where we might get discount or free meds if for some reason we loose medical coverage if he would be off work for a long period of time.

So that is our frugal prepping I don't know what will become of this site once it's closed down if you'll still be able to read these post and just no longer be able to respond or if the entire thing will be deleted off the internet but hope that it will help others if they do read this.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:34 PM
Nine Year Member

I was very grateful to the food pantries in my town when we were the "working poor" going to a different one each week helped keep food on the table. We had 2 churches give a plastic bag of food no matter how many in your family. 1 that let you pick 10 items of your choice (limit 1 per item), and 1 that you got 1-2 of an item your choice with as much day old bread & veggies you wanted. And 1 that gave out 2-3 bags per family based on family size plus several day old bakery items.

Don't forget to check to see if you qualify for HEAP, Anna helps knock out some of the cost of heating your home.

Roberta
Old 01-06-2019, 07:06 AM
Nine Year Member

Friday I picked up 10) 25.6 oz tubs of Maxwell House coffee lite for $3.99 ea. Bought 5 on my account and 5 on my daughters account. We will be set for 6 months at least.

I shopped the 90% Christmas clearance at the grocery yesterday picked up cookie mixes. I bought 1 hot cocoa, 2 pinwheel sugar cookies, 1 organic ginger bread, 1 ugly sweater kit that came with cookie cutter, red & green icing, candy decorations, piping bag and a ninja gingerbread man kit that has 4 cookie cutters, icing, candy decorations. They make 12 cookies ea so they will be quick and easy for a last minute dessert or when the sweet tooth hits. They don't expire until Dec 2019 I also bought the 3 bottles of glitter clear sugar. I picked up an ornament that has legos inside, a hot wheel, about 10 med size holiday gift bags, and 10 gift card holders not holiday themed. Oh and a dog toy for $1.

With food coloring I can turn the clear glitter sugar into any color I need.

Roberta
Old 02-19-2019, 05:09 AM
Nine Year Member

I stocked up on canned goods this week with sale and coupons saved 50%, made sure the canned goods had 2021 dates leaving the 2020 dates for others to take home!

I picked up 8 Kraft Mac & Cheese for $.75 ea I would have gotten more but they had Sept 2019 and we wouldn't eat up more before then.

I did happen to see space heaters with thermostat on clearance for $6 vs $19.99. I picked up 3 to use in the bedrooms here and at dd1's boyfriends house. I'm glad they had put them in with the Valentine clearance as I wouldn't have seen them in the home/kitchen isle.

Roberta