Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-29-2002, 07:11 PM
Nine Year Member

pre-eclampsia, eclampsia

We need to get the message out to women about pre-eclampsia and eclampsia. Most women don't know what to look for and just listen to the doctor tell them that their swelling is normal, their headaches are from stress and so on.
My daughter just gave birth at 27 weeks because of pre-eclampsia adn eclampsia.
No one really knows why anyone gets it-but it was thought that a woman is likely to get it if her mother, grandmother and so on had it. Well, I was never sick with it, nor was my mother. Now since my husband is adopted we don't know about the women on his side of the family yet.
My daughter has been in 4 hospitals in one week. She started out with headaches, high blook pressure, heart palpatations, trouble breathing and protein in her urine. No one sent her for tests. Finally last week the doctor decided there was still to much protein in her urine and her blood pressure was to high and sent her to the hospital for some tests-for an hour. That hour became 24hours for a 24 hour urine test(which she was going to do at home) and because they couldn't get her blood pressure down. Now she's not had any real swelling at this point and never really does(some people see swelling as a sign, but it's not really-on it's own) They ended up keeping two nights, instead of one and after the 2nd night they transported her to a bigger hospital with a neonatal unit in case the baby had to be delivered. At the bigger hospital they got her blood pressure down, but as I was leaving to go home for the day she passed out on me and they still don't know why(we figure it's because of the magnesium they gave her-too much too fast)She came to and was fine. Her sister visited her that night, right after she left,my daughter passed out again-much worse this time, she was then moved to CCU for 2 nights. Still don't know why she passed out, but everytime they gave her magnesium she was groggy(the mag was to prevent seizures and convulsions during and after delivery)She was moved back to labor and delivery on Sat. afternoon. Monday afternoon she was put on the antepardum side of maternity(for women not ready to deliver for awhile), at midnight she was put back on the labor and delivery side and after 10am this morning they decided to transport her to UNC-Chapel Hill because there was a little fluid around the baby's heart.
All this time, the baby is having a ball. She's constantly moving-they always have to chase her to check her heart rate. Her heart looked good, her brain looked good, her mom got steroids to rush her lung development in case they had to take her early. They were going to air lift her but the weather was not good, so they drove two and a half hours by ambulance, her husband following. They decided before 7pm that they were going to take the baby and they did about 9:30pm Thursday night-at 27 weeks(would have been 28weeks, but the bigger hospital looked at the origianl sonagram and found that she was only 26 weeks last week) Got the call that everything appeared OK for now. The doctors thought the baby's legs hadn't grown for a month, but they appear to be fine now as is the rest of her-although real tiny.

The reason for this story is that if you are pregnant and you have swelling that won't go away if you rest, if you have headaches that you didn't have before(or are worse than you've ever had), if your heart races and/or you have trouble breathing keep after your doctor to send you for tests. Especially if they mention that there is protein in your urine.
Well there's a storm in our area and I need to get off the computer. Hope this helps someone.
Pam
Old 06-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Nine Year Member

My dear friend Pam---I am so glad you posted this. I knew i'd find info on FC>

My DD was recently diagnosed with pre-eclampsia. Luckily for her, they caught it. Well, I guess you can say that. She went for her normal 2 week visit, and there was protien in her urine and her blood pressure was high. Her feet were also swollen, but she does (did) work as a waitress. Anyhow....I know I will be rambling on here.....she went to the hospital for further testing.....my dear grandson is doing fine....it just that he is only at 32 weeks and about 4 pounds.....she was admitted on Friday....she had some good blood pressure readings and lots of bad....they thought maybe she'd be able to come home for complete bed rest, but today they sent her to another hospital that has all the perinatal care and care after she delivers.

She is very upset, but is now accepting the fact that she needs to be there and not home. Thank god they didn't send her home and they consulted with the physicians of a much better equipped hospital.

I know I'm getting long winded here.....maybe this isn't where I should be posting, but I found this here.

My dear daughter was transferred and is now under constant and I mean CONSTANT monitorying. We have play this hour by hour. As she is pre-eclamsia she could turn eclamsia at any time.

We are hoping she can make it for a few more weeks. At least 4. We don't know. If the eclampsia sets in at any time, they will induce labor. Maddox Timothy is tiny, but he is in the right place to be born.

I want to thank you so much Pam for posting this info.

Hugs to you my friend.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 06-25-2007, 03:06 AM
Nine Year Member

Lauri, I'm sorry to hear about your dd's problems with her pregnancy. You're right, she is in the best place possible right now.
If they haven't I hope the doctors decide to give her the shot that will help the baby's lungs mature enough to be born. My dd got the shot, actually it's two shots of steriods.
Keep us posted about her progress. I'll keep them in my prayers
Old 06-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member

Pam---She had her second steroid shot today. Yesterday was her first.

Also today her blood pressure was pretty out of wack, and she had a slight headache. They gave her, intravenously, so it would kick in, and injection of a blood pressure medication, and wouldn't you know it, I can't remember what it was! Anyway, her blood pressure was much more stable, and the headache went away. The nurse said that this was what they want to see.

It breaks my heart because she just wants to come home.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

Beverly Sills
Old 06-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tell to be thankful her doctor put in the hosptial! When I had it, the doctors would put me in for a day then send me home. My dh, mother someone should have raised cain. With my last child, I was so sick I don't even remember having him. My first baby was term, my second was one week early, my last was six weeks early. I had premature labor for about four months with all the kids.

Remind her she will have her baby to hold soon but hopefully not to soon.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:22 AM
Nine Year Member

I know what you mean Lauri.
My dd hated being in the hospital. She originally went in for an out patient protein test, they never got it going for long. She ended up having to stay overnight. When I went to pick her up the next morning they said she was being transferred to the next countys bigger hospital. So I followed. By the time I got to the other hospital they had her on an IV drip of magnesium because of her contractions. The mag made her extremely ill and she passed out just as I was getting ready to go home. She came out of it pretty quick and she remembers hearing everyone in the room too. Later that same day her sister visited and while she was there she passed out again from the mag and it took longer to get her back. The nurse wrote on her chart that she was having an adverse reaction to the mag and she made sure the dr. knew, but they would not discontinue it. She was at this hospital for a little over a week, miserable but she was writing in a journal for the baby and trying to keep busy in bed. They did sonorgrams and mri's and thought that she and the baby had fluid around their hearts. They were concerned mostly for the baby because they don't have a pediatric heart dr. at this hospital-they share one with Duke/Chapel Hill. That dr. wanted them moved to Chapel Hill in case the baby was going to have heart problems. On the 29th of August they decided to move her-her husband had just gone back to work-out of state, about 2 days before-he had to be called back. They were going to AirFlight her to Chapel Hill but the weather was bad at both ends, so she ended up being transported by ambulance-it's no wonder that she had the baby not long after her arrival, Gabby was a 27week baby(3 months early),1.5lb and 12in.long.Because she had stopped growing in the womb at some point.
We got to drive up within 3 days and my dd was so doped up she didn't know we were there. I don't know how long it was before she actually got to see the baby. But dd came home after about 1 week, then the baby was transported to our local-next county-hospital. She was there for 3 months and we took my dd every other day to visit. She said she couldn't handle being there everyday-in a way I could understand that, but I think I would have wanted to be there everyday-even for an hour. (I know I was when my youngest dd was in the NICU for 14 days after she was born), but everyone is different, and she did have her 5yr at home. We tried to do as much as possible for her because her dh was still working out of town, but he lost so much work they were on the verge of losing their house(renting to buy) so when the baby came home the day after Thanksgiving, they were already moved in with my dh and me. Been here ever since and that baby is going to be 5 in August. She's our miracle child and has been through alot.
Like Connie says keep reminding her she's there for a good reason and that's to make her baby as strong as possible before he's born.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Nine Year Member

Well, ladies, here's my update. On Thursday things remained the same until late that evening. They decided to induce labor. They set her up to be induced and we waited all night and into yesterday. She was still only at 4 centimeters at 5:00 pm, and around 5:15 p.m. the baby became in trouble, heart beat, etc. They performed an emergency c-cection(sp?) and he's here!!!!

2 lbs. 14 oz., 16 inches long. He was born at 5:36 pm. What a cutel little button. He's doing quite well....he has an IV, monitors, and oxygen. DD is doing quite well, she still has magnesium on an IV, but she is in good spirits.

I cannot thank you all enough for you support and information.

I will keep you all posted.

Beverly Sills
Old 06-30-2007, 06:28 AM
Nine Year Member

Sorry for the back to back, but he is 3 pounds not 2!

Beverly Sills
Old 06-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Yeah! Everything sounds good. How early was he? How is your dd doing?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Nine Year Member

congratulations Lauri! Will keep him and mom in my prayers. Keep us posted