Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-08-2004, 01:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question Dealing with PUPPP's?

I just want to share that my 8 months of pregnancy was sure bliss until I was diagnosed with PUPPP's. It is a rare pregnancy rash that 1 out of 160 1st time pregnnacies get and it has got to be the worse thing I have EVER experienced!! It does not go away until after baby is born and it is more itchy than chicken poxs (if you can remember that).

I just want to say if there is any of you expecting moms out there with an itchy rash after 20 weeks and you find out it is PUPPP's GET READY!!

The best thing to do is get the rash dried out 1st. I found the easiest thing to do this was Corn Starch powder. Oh yeah and don't even try warm or hot water or your skin will just melt from the flames!!!!! ;-) Cold showers, corn starch then once rash has dried out. If you have a pool or access to a pool this relives some of the itch temporarily and the chlorine helps to dry it out. (The pool also helped me relieve some of my back pain by being able to take some of the pressure and weight off for a little while.) You will know because the small blister type bumps will be gone and the rash will take on a more patchy appearance instead of small bug bite type bumps. Then you need to get the moisture back in skin but beware. Don't use any fancy lotions or your skin, again, will burst into flames!! Use a baby lotion or oil as they are super sensitive. I used the J&J Creamy Oil. It is a baby oil in lotion form so you don't slide all around floor, tub or bed. Last thing you want to do when you are 8-9 months pregnant is fall down from being all luned up with oil!

They say you will return to normal after baby. I can not attest to this yet as I still have 2 more weeks of insance itching before my c-section on June 22 but if there is anyone out there suffering too I would love to have an itch buddy!

TX Chef Fran
Old 06-09-2004, 07:38 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh...I can't imagine what you have gone through during this pregnancy!!! I thought my Gestational Diabetes was bad but I would rather have stuck myself with sharp things for 6 months than itch constantly...I will pray for you for relief and a safe C-Section. I've had two now. If you haven't had a C-Section before and have any questions I'd be glad to help. Is this your first child?

God Bless...Sandra (my user name ethansamuel is my ds#2 and he will be 17 months tomorrow...they are so precious )

Old 06-09-2004, 07:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I had a similar problem when I was pregnant with my first child, DD. One exception though...although I had insane itching, I had no visible rash. I would literally scratch myself until I bled!! After blood tests, the doctor determined that it was caused by my liver over producing some hormone/enzyme due to DD constantly banging her head against my internal organs....she was breach. The only thing they could do to help me was to give me Atarax... it is similar to Bendryl and safe to take during pregnancy. Only problem was that when I took it, I slept for 10-12 hours straight! It knocked me OUT! So, I took it as sparingly as I could as I was still working.

My itching did start clearing up within 24 hours of delivery and was totally gone within 72 hours. I hope you fare as well....or better!!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thumbs down Pupps

I can imagine what you are goin through,but I don't have to. This is #5 for me. I have the same thing. OMG it is horrible. I used Gold Bond medicated lotion. Then hot water and cold. I also tried antibiotis ointment and itch creams. I also was told by my OB to take benedryl. It is going away. thank god.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Nine Year Member

I can't help you with the PUPPPS but I can offer some advice on the c-section. The doctors tell you 6 weeks til you can do normal vacuuming and stuff and I would say it is more like 6 months. I made the mistake of trying to help my dh hang drywall at 3 months and can tell you I did not like the tearing and stretching feeling I felt inside! My mother warned me and so did my aunt and I wish I had listened. Give it a year before you do anything strenuous.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."