Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Prayer Requests if you need a prayer or want to help others by praying for them, this is the place to be.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

A daily prayer/quiet time

Do you have a daily prayer/quiet time? If you do, what is your routine and where do you have your prayer time at?

Over the years, this is something I have done most of the time and , let me tell you, on the days and weeks I forget, or just plain get too busy, my weeks do not go nearly as well. The last two weeks were two of those weeks!! It is so easy for me to say, I need to do "this" now and I will pray later and then later never happens because later it is time to cook dinner, wash dishes and, basically, get sidetracked with TV and books..........
I was so moody these past 2 weeks and then yesterday I had my prayer time and my day was wonderful. Choosing peace and choosing Jesus is such an easy choice but I make it so hard sometime.
And this morning I prayed.........

I have a basket with my bible, Simple Abundance devotional, bible study book and various prayers and songs that have inspired me. I sit at the dining room table overlooking the park these days, but I tend to move with the seasons!

How about you? is this something you do and can you tell the difference when you "forget??"

hugs,train
Old 03-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes! I can absolutely tell the difference when I don't spend time in the Word etc. Each a.m. I get up and make my coffee and then I sit at the kitchen table and read until something grabs my attention. Some days that is one sentence, others, it might be a paragraph. I am not doing a devotional at the moment, just reading through the bible - getting there - in Hebrews right now. I can honestly say that I have learned an incredible amount just taking my time and praying then reading etc. and marking in my date book a verse or a thought that struck me that day. God's economy is amazing...spend time with Him and somehow He stretches out your day and you are able to deal with life much better. That cup of coffee and my quiet time is a great time of the day - me time that benefits everyone! I have usually at least 1/2 hour before dd's get up. Love it.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I need to be better in this area. I've really been slacking lately. When I DO have my prayer and study time, it's usually in the afternoon when the kids are in school, the housework is done, errands are run, phone calls are made, etc. I sit in my favorite comfy chair in the living room with my Bible, prayer journal, and notebook, and sometimes a devotional book. Sometimes I just read through the Psalms, or I do a particular Bible study. I keep track of those with special prayer needs in my prayer journal and I write next to their names, what their "affliction" is and the date. When I remember, I go back and write what the outcome of the prayer was. It's neat to go back in my journal and see what prayer has done in not only my own life, but those of my loved ones.

And, yes, I can tell the difference when I forget. My days seem to be a lot more calm and peaceful when I take the time to study God's word and pray. Thanks for the reminder!

~Melanie
Old 03-24-2005, 06:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I start by watching Joyce Meyer's "Enjoying Everyday Life" every morning at 7:30 A.M. on Trinity Broadcasting Network. Then I go though the concerns list in our church bulletin. I have a secret prayer partner and someone has me. I'm the church librarian, so there's always more interesting books to read than I can get read. I'm usually reading a little out of several. Our daily devotional is "Upper Room."
Old 03-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

daily quiet time

Yeah Lasermom! I also love to watch Joyce Meyer! I went and saw her last month for the first time! I usually do my quiet time in the evening, but last week I took my Bible and "Conversation Peace" workbook (our current study is about our tongue and the words we speak and think) anywhooo went to a local coffee shop and sat and read, it was great, I think I will treat myself to that atmosphere a little more often!
Old 03-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We have actually started having family prayer and scripture study time each evening. We all sit on my bed and start with prayer, read a chapter (this week we are reading about the Resurection) discussing the context, and end up singing a hymn.
I think it is helping our family become closer. At first it was me that reminded everyone each evening, now one of the kids will bring it up. We don't take turns reading, but who ever wants to reads, we let them.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I try and wake up with God as the first thing on my mind, and before I ever get out of bed I say a prayer. And throughout the day, whenever I have a few minutes, I have my conversation with God. It makes a huge difference. I think my goal is to stay in a constant prayerful state. Which is hard to do with 2 kids, 3 dogs and a husband!

It is just something I think we really have to make time to do. And to keep trying - and don't give up!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't do as well at this as I should

Hello. I think you wrote this post just for me. I have really been feeling convicted lately for not doing this. I even made myself a schedule for my days which are crazy crazy, but you know what I noticed a few days after I made it - no quiet time with God. I have 3 kids with 2 in different schools and 1 still at home. My husband is a police officer, and his schedule is very eratic. I tend to not focus very well. I have lots of different things going on always, and I seem to not complete much. My family is seeming to be bickering a lot lately, and I know that it is my lack of being with God and encouraging that in my children. I will try better with this and have even subscribed to this list to remind me. Thank you for the reminder!
Old 03-30-2005, 05:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think that even if you just do a simple sentence several times a day it makes a difference. And planning. And when our lives are the busiest - I think that is when we need it (and miss it) the most.

Amanda - where in NC are you? I am in Kannapolis.

Blessings to all.

Jane
Old 03-31-2005, 05:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello. I live in Waynesville (to the west of Asheville). I did have time this morning with God, and I do feel much more peaceful and controlled rather than crazy. It is exciting, and I plan to continue this. My middle child was up this morning, but I told him that I wanted some quiet time with God and that he could watch TV or something as long as he was quiet and didn't bother Mommy. This will set a good example for him too I know. Thank you for the encouragement. I hope that this list continues to grow and that we can keep helping each other.