Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Postcard Swap Send and receive postcards from all over the world!

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 04:57 AM

Barbsy, got the DC pc. Love those views. They're beautiful. Thank you so much.

Litia, received the cute dog pc. Did have to laugh at that. Thank you.

Theresa, received the pc's from you. Love those beautiful views. I so love scenery and city scenes.

I am off tomorrow and will be putting pc's in the mail. Have to take my 15 yr old cat in for his shots and go to the bank. It will be a run errands day. If the weather is good, I hope to get outside and do some work.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-08-2007, 05:40 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Sharon...glad you got the post cards and liked them...hugs
Old 05-08-2007, 07:13 AM

Happy face

Thanks go out to Lynette & Craftyldy for the great cards I got in today's mail.

Crafty, that is a beautiful card of the Mt Washington hotel with the mountains in the background!! I imagine it would cost a fortune to stay at that hotel!

Lynette, Those vineyards look so neat! I love grapes but don't like wine, but the grapes would make great jams & jellies.

Thanks again ladies. I'll be getting some more cards out soon. Hubby has kept me kinda busy running to do this & that.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Everyone

We are back from New York City. We had a great time and met 2 members from FC, Val and Nancy(lifestar and bensmom) It was like meeting old friends. Glad to be home still trying to catch up on sleep but I have cards ready to go in tomorrows mail

Minny
Theresa
Lynette
Sharon
Panj
Jackie
Donna Marie
Donna
Laura
Kathy
Meg
Margaret
Lita
Barbszy
BarBar
Rosey
Janet

I have a few more left if someone would like one, just let me know

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 05-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Welcome Back Debbie...glad you had a nice time...get lots of sleep...hugs

Lynette...received my names for the June Butterfly swap...I won't be able to start on mine until next week when I get back from Winnipeg...but they will be out in the mail before the end of the month...I hope...hugs
Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hello everyone! I opened my mailbox today and found several postcards.

Thankyou Carol, the bald eagles are great!

Thanks Lynette, My favorite part is the waterfall!

Thankyou Lita, The dog was a hit with both of us! We are BOTH animal lovers!

I will send out pc's this week!
Hope everyone is feeling ok and has a super week!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

June Butterfly Swaps......

The names are almost all delivered I have just a couple more to send. I have had to do all of this from work when boss doesn't have me doing other work. He is gone sail-boarding this afternoon so I am getting in and getting this stuff done.

Just so everyone knows and we are all on the same page, here is how I did the swap.

I typed out everyone's name on sheet of paper and under each name I put a 1. and a 2. it looked much like this....

Lynette

Jane

Then I wrote out the participants' names on little squares of paper and folded them up twice, putting them in a little bowl.

Amanda, my co-worker drew the names. She drew all the #1 names first and as she drew them, I would write them in and same for the #2 names. We just went down the list once and then down the list twice and wahlah! we were done. I hope that everyon is okay with this and that swap goes well. Theresa, any time between now and June 15th is great! Don't worry, I did not send out the names now expecting everyone to mail out now. Give yourselves a break and just be sure that they are mailed no later than the 15th. I think that is sufficient. This will also give you plenty of time to ponder who you have and select just the right tuck-in's etc. So have a great time and enjoy blessing others!!

Hugs!
Old 05-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Lynette ..I should have read this thread before I pmd you...sorry about that....

Lita thanks for the tall drink..I don't do alcohol either but it sure looks nice and cool..
Crafty..Thanks for the Maine wild life card.. I love all animals...
Name:  mootractor.gif
Views: 164
Size:  64.0 KB
Old 05-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Assistant Moderator

Pioneer Era
1870 - 1898

It is said that the first postal card was recommended by Dr. Emanuel Herrmann, in 1869, and was accepted by the Hungarian government in the same year and then first printed card in 1870, a historical card, produced in association with the Franco-German War. The first advertising card appeared in 1872 in England. The first German card appeared in 1874. The Heligoland card of 1889 is considered the first multi-colored card ever printed. Cards with pictures of the Eiffel Tower in 1889 & 1890 gave the picture postcard a huge start on its way to mass popularity.
In the United States, the earliest known exposition card was issued in 1873, showing the main building of the Inter-State Industrial Exposition in Chicago. This card as well as other early advertising cards, usually bearing vignette designs were not originally intended for souvenirs. Thus the first card printed with the intention for use as a souvenir were the cards placed on sale in 1893 at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago. During this period all privately printed cards required the regular two cent letter rate postage, the new government printed Postals required only one cent. The government cards had a preprinted bust of either Jefferson or Grant and once cent.
The United States issued pre-stamped postal cards in 1873. The Unites States Postal Service was the only one allowed to print the cards until May 19, 1898 when Congress passed the Private Mailing Card Act which then allowed private firms to produce cards. The private mailing cards cost one cent to mail instead of the letter rate which was two cents. The term "Private Mailing Card" was required to be printed on cards that were not printed by the United States Postal Service. Only the government was allowed to print the word "Postcard" on the back of postcards. Private printers used the terms, Souvenir Card, Correspondence Cards and Mail Cards.
Most postcards up until 1898 are "Undivided Back" cards meaning they do not have the line going down the center of the card. Also, writing was not permitted by law on the address side on any postcard until March 1, 1907. Any messages were written across the front over the photographs or artwork on the card.

Attached Images

Old 05-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hello, Ladies-
I've been reading the thread, catching up. I missed a few days, and it seems like many things have been happening! Hope you are feeling better to all who have had mishaps... especially that "close encounter" with the coffee table. My bp tends to spike and drop, so I understand the falling.

One week until I leave for my southwestern road trip! Do I need to tell you how excited I am??

Closed Thread